Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 01:24 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,829,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hush.bereel View Post
^ Thank you for responding to that post... I wanted to but I was afraid I wouldn't be tactful. Your response is perfect.

Yes, to the people who think that they are doing the right thing by driving the speed limit, being good little boy scouts and brownie girls... Please do so from the right-most lanes.

I'm sure most of us have seen this sign before, which does in fact imply that the left lane is the fast lane:

That sign is too ambiguous. It can be misinterpreted, and is.

Here's a better sign that is very clear:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 02:17 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,549,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
and the pink testicles hanging from the two-inch trailer hitch passes me and exceeds the speed limit for a bit just to jockey position to be ahead of everybody in the left lane at the next light, but will convoy with a slow vehicle on the right to keep anyone else from getting by in the fast lane.

If they'd just pass you and go faster, this thread wouldn't be here. Some folks are just into control.

Then there's the folks who want to follow the fastest vehicle, but won't pass, but love to tailgate.

Then there's the Hyundai and Prius drivers who think they're road warriors. These are usually 40ish white males.

I don't care about any of these different drivers so much so long as they don't tailgate me. I also don't care much for folks who shoot into the gap in front of you because you aren't tailgating the car in front of you.

Well you know what SUBARU stands for, right? Substantially underpowered, but always runs uphill.
So many excellent points in this post. Love the reference to the "pink testicles" hanging from the back. LOL

And this sums it all up: Some folks are just into control.

Old 09-13-2014, 02:41 PM

293 posts, read 310,048 times
I don't know if I am in the blind spot of a truck, but I will change lanes to get out from behind a truck even if I'm not passing them. The reason is because the tires often kick up road debris and I've had damage to my vehicle from it, even if I give them a big gap. So that's why I do that, not to be a jerk. It seems to make sense to me.

I don't do any of the other stuff mentioned here. (I drive on the right lane, I let people pass, I don't block people out, etc.)

Old 09-13-2014, 02:57 PM

Oh, by the way, here are some example of aggressive drivers who stink:

a) The guy in front of you who is going 60 mph, then suddenly switches lanes without braking when they come up to stopped traffic. And the first idea you get of this is when they leave your lane and the stopped car is coming up at you.

b) The guys who need to get into an exit where there's a long line and they just drive past everyone, then force their way in to the front of the line because they're special.

Old 09-13-2014, 03:00 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,876,935 times
I don't like it when I'm on the interstate in the right hand lane and someone goes around me, comes back into my lane then slows down forcing me to shut of my cruise control. Annoying and costs me money.

Old 09-13-2014, 03:12 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,326,854 times
We had a motorcycle cop get furious at us (my wife was driving) for passing him on I95.

Old 09-13-2014, 03:26 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,510,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestRedux View Post
Let's not tangle up semantics. The left lane is not technically the fast lane. However, the farthest left lane on any multi-lane, general purpose road in America is for PASSING ONLY, unless otherwise marked.

If you are in the left lane and you are not currently in the act of passing someone, (going at least 5-10 miles faster than them to do so) you are breaking the law. GET OUT. This goes for the person going the speed limit and the person going 30 miles over the speed limit. No Exceptions. This isn't the INDY 500 and you are not the pace car.

There are more than enough law enforcement personal dedicated to controlling the flow and speed of traffic. They don't need your help.
What law says this? if you are going 1mph more than the person to the right of you... you are technically passing him, right?

Old 09-13-2014, 03:30 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,570,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I'm wondering how often other people encounter this scenario - you pass someone (not illegally), and then they seem to get mad about it.

I was driving on a 4-lane highway last week and there were two cars ahead of me in the left lane who were going slightly above the speed limit (60 mph). The right lane was wide open. I wanted to go a bit faster (65-67ish) and so I got into the right lane and proceeded to move past them. And after I passed them, I just stayed in the right lane.

Next thing I know, the first car starts speeding up to catch up with me.

Up ahead, traffic was going to be merging into my lane, and when we got down there, he sped up even more to prevent me from going in front of him. I was then forced to get behind him.

He then proceeded to slow down, yet when I had another opportunity to go around him (by getting in the right lane), he sped up again to block me.

It quickly began to feel like this person was purposely playing games with me, when I had done nothing to him except to drive faster than him.

I do not understand this behavior!!!! What is the point?
Yep happens all the time. Something about my white work van that just pi**es them off, even if I might be the 3rd or 4th one to pass that particular vehicle.

Old 09-13-2014, 03:54 PM

Oh, also, the guy in the Prius in the YouTube video needs to be beaten. It would be cool if he tried that the guy just blasted into the side of his car. It would be even funnier because he'd be ramming into the driver side, so there'd be good chance of either major injury or fatality. And before someone says "that's horrible!" so is stopping someone in the middle of a highway and blocking two lanes to prove a point. I'd have no problem with the dash cam showing the Prius owner's face as it smashed against his windshield.

Old 09-13-2014, 04:15 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,670,019 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cLlxi_AuK8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive