Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 09:57 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,738,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Have you heard of an electric razor? Did you think he had the bathroom sink on the passenger seat?
Actually my first thought was the traditional shave. Using an electric razor and driving honestly is not that distracting compared to texting or talking on phone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 10:46 AM

986 posts, read 1,667,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Actually my first thought was the traditional shave. Using an electric razor and driving honestly is not that distracting compared to texting or talking on phone
And this, my friends, is the issue....now we know who's speeding up/slowing down/swerving in and out of lanes.

Shaving & doing crossworld puzzles: things you shouldn't do while driving | News - Home

Old 09-09-2014, 10:54 AM

5,333 posts, read 8,549,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
In some cases, it's also possible that the conditions of the roadway do not allow for a steady speed. Too many people around here begin passing without giving a signal beforehand. So if I have, for example, slowed down to 45 in a 55 because of a curve, hill-crest, or some other hazard, I will speed back up after the danger has passed; but if you indicate to me that you would like to overtake, I'll wait until you pass before I begin accelerating.

A little bit of communication goes a long way. If you let me know you'd like to pass, I am more than happy to accommodate. But unless you make your intentions known, I assume you're content where you are. I'll take my foot off the gas once I see you starting to pass, but I wouldn't have accelerated at all had you given me a signal beforehand.
Good points, and true in some situations, but not applicable to my OP.

It was a clear sunny day, mid-afternoon, on a straight road for miles on end.

I had no opportunity to ever put my signal on to indicate I was coming back into the left lane because the guy decided to speed up to perfectly match my speed and prevent me from coming back over.

And while I have seen MANY people drive slow and erratically while texting, this guy did not have tinted windows, so I had a clear view of him and he wasn't texting. If he had, it probably would have reduced some of my irritation at him because I would at least understand why he was driving like a fool.

And now that I think about it, erratically would not be a word I would use to describe him. He appeared to be very in control of his car and was purposefully doing everything he did.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:34 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,479,264 times
Either some people take enforcing the laws into their own hands and try to slow you down into the speed limit, or they have a 'thing' where they don't like to be passed (even though they drive at a speed which is certainly feasible to do).

Somebody who lived in Chicago said you know you're home when you drive 20 to 30 over the limit and there are still people who pass you and flip you off as they do so.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:49 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,176,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Yes, people do this all the time. As someone who frequents the left lane, I go between 80 mph and 85 mph; however, there are some idiots who think it's okay to cruise at 60 mph and don't notice that the whole world is going around them. Some people get their feelings hurt.

I do the same thing on the interstate. I give them 30 seconds to see me an move over and then I start flashing my headlights. If that doesn't work, I pass on the right and blow my horn while staring them down and cursing.

In Germany it is ILLEGAL to impede the flow of traffic in the left lane.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:49 PM

340 posts, read 645,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
This is why people will only signal as a courtesy DURING the lane change and not an actual warning that they're about to get in ahead of you in 3...2...1. People just don't like that warning I guess.
They'd hate to give up the element of surprise! Well, that's what the Bad Driver's Handbook said...

Old 09-09-2014, 12:57 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,549,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Either some people take enforcing the laws into their own hands and try to slow you down into the speed limit, or they have a 'thing' where they don't like to be passed (even though they drive at a speed which is certainly feasible to do).

Somebody who lived in Chicago said you know you're home when you drive 20 to 30 over the limit and there are still people who pass you and flip you off as they do so.
I remember the first time I drove in Houston. I was in a rental car, driving from the airport into downtown.

I was going 80mph and people were flying past me in the fast lane.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:45 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,741,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I'm wondering how often other people encounter this scenario - you pass someone (not illegally), and then they seem to get mad about it.

I was driving on a 4-lane highway last week and there were two cars ahead of me in the left lane who were going slightly above the speed limit (60 mph). The right lane was wide open. I wanted to go a bit faster (65-67ish) and so I got into the right lane and proceeded to move past them. And after I passed them, I just stayed in the right lane.
In most states it is illegal to pass on the right. Ever. Although the US is pretty lenient on enforcement, other countries are not. I've seen people run off the road for passing on the right in Germany, multiple times. They have zero tolerance for not following the rules.

That being said, in Italy it seems to be a sport to see how fast you can pass people left, right, and in the middle.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:34 AM

210 posts, read 246,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Have you heard of an electric razor? Did you think he had the bathroom sink on the passenger seat?
Weirder things have happened since common sense alluded this particular man why would I assume he used an electric razor

Old 09-10-2014, 06:52 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,299,452 times
It also depends on what type of car you are passing or what kind of car you are driving. Based on those factors it might be seen as an intimidating factor as well. It sounds superficial but I have seen people try to race me when I am in a nice luxury or sports car as compared to an old beaten down truck...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive