Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 08:25 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I'm wondering how often other people encounter this scenario - you pass someone (not illegally), and then they seem to get mad about it.

I was driving on a 4-lane highway last week and there were two cars ahead of me in the left lane who were going slightly above the speed limit (60 mph). The right lane was wide open. I wanted to go a bit faster (65-67ish) and so I got into the right lane and proceeded to move past them. And after I passed them, I just stayed in the right lane.

Next thing I know, the first car starts speeding up to catch up with me.

Up ahead, traffic was going to be merging into my lane, and when we got down there, he sped up even more to prevent me from going in front of him. I was then forced to get behind him.

He then proceeded to slow down, yet when I had another opportunity to go around him (by getting in the right lane), he sped up again to block me.

It quickly began to feel like this person was purposely playing games with me, when I had done nothing to him except to drive faster than him.

I do not understand this behavior!!!! What is the point?
Some folks become irrational when they pick up the car keys. I don't have any explanation for it. They must think that they own the road and can make up the rules as they go along.

That said, being passed doesn't annoy me. But when someone passes me, and then slows down as soon as they get in front of me, that tends to get me PO'd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 08:41 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,826,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
In most states it is illegal to pass on the right. Ever.
If you mean US States, then you are wrong. Please check your facts. I only know of one state where it is illegal (Connecticut). If there are others, give us a cite proving it. Thanks.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:30 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Speaking of passing on the right. My pet peeve is trying to enter traffic and dealing with dangerous drivers that take exits, stomp on the gas to sneak ahead of everyone then force themselves back into traffic. Very stupid behavior to save a few seconds. So they are doing around 80 when you are starting off from the light at 0 and have about 1/8 of a mile before you enter traffic.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:46 PM

522 posts, read 722,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Yes, people do this all the time. As someone who frequents the left lane, I go between 80 mph and 85 mph; however, there are some idiots who think it's okay to cruise at 60 mph and don't notice that the whole world is going around them. Some people get their feelings hurt.
this.
My lightbar/custom fog/head lights come to the rescue for *******s like that. Give 'em a little tan, and they move the hell over.

If you're driving close or at speed limit in the left lane, this should be my right to pull you over and beat the ever living crap out of you. (I, obviously, do not mean the posted I quoted).

those morons who left bus lengths in front of them should also expect that people will get around them. if they get butt hurt - again - they're asking for an adventure.

Old 09-10-2014, 03:58 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,670,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTony View Post
It also depends on what type of car you are passing or what kind of car you are driving. Based on those factors it might be seen as an intimidating factor as well. It sounds superficial but I have seen people try to race me when I am in a nice luxury or sports car as compared to an old beaten down truck...
Guilty here. Last night I was cruising in my new 500 Abarth when a sleek BMW passed me in the left lane. I just couldn't help but downshift, blip the throttle, then shoot forward to match the other car's speed. However, it was all in good fun and backed off after 5-6 seconds. And when the other car got in front of me, I slowed back down and gave them plenty of room. No harm and no foul -- just having a bit of fun and never got faster than 10 mph over the speed limit. And if it was a regular car that passed me, I wouldn't have done something like that -- I was just having a bit of fun and wondering if the other driver was a poseur or an actual car enthusiast such as myself.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:36 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,295,551 times
busybodies.. ignore them and go at my normal pace. some people think everything must be done their way and some think they are the safe ones when they park it in the passing lane going just the speed limit when in reality they are the biggest road hazards...

no different than busybodies at work staring at everyone and everything.. i just ignore em... dont feed the trolls...

Old 09-12-2014, 02:59 PM

226 posts, read 320,038 times
People play chicken with me in a 7,680 pound truck. I have a class 4/5 hitch on the back with a nice ball that would puncture their radiator and crush all their plastic junk on their front end of their compact car like a 300 pound man stepping on a beer can.

Dumbasses are born every single day in this world.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:16 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
It would be useful, I'd think, to stop calling the left lane the "fast lane" - since by legal definition slower traffic is traffic that is driving below the speed limit and fast traffic is traffic that is driving at the speed limit, and calling the left lane the "fast lane" tends to give some selfish and entitled people the idea that the speed limit doesn't apply in that lane, or at least doesn't apply to them.

Passing lane would work except that it is not the passing only lane on many roads in many states, and it's perfectly legal to drive in it as long as you're not slower than the speed limit.

We need another name that encourages those driving slower than the speed limit to stay out of it and those using it to remember that they are supposed to be driving the speed limit and no faster in it, and if they are driving faster than that, they are breaking the law and being just as selfish as those that they castigate for breaking the slow traffic keep right law.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:17 PM

656 posts, read 1,341,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
An average semi trailer is about 53 feet long, if I recall correctly. If he is next to the fifth-wheel coupling, and you are next to the trailer's wheels, your following distance is obviously less than the length of his trailer. According to the two-second rule, 53 feet is an appropriate minimum following distance for approximately 18 miles per hour (53 feet divided by 2 seconds = 26.5 feet per second = 18.0682 miles per hour).
Excellent post. 53 feet is the statutory length limit for a semi trailer, while some states do allow 57' trailers. The bridge distance between the tractor drive axles and the trailer axles is typically 35 - 41 feet.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:20 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,974,707 times
I p o off a lot of people everyday.

If I have to pass on the right, they are just going too slow and oblivious to traffic around them.

A lot of people have no business being on the left lane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive