Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 07:50 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,632,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalPitgal View Post
I was traveling a little bit faster then the flow of traffic in the number two lane. I approaching another vehicle in the number two lane and had just passed a car in the number one lane. IF the car I had just passed had maintained his same speed, I would have been passed him when I made my lane change into the number one lane. But he choose to speed up. I did not actually look into the lane, until I had started the land change.

My rear tire of my truck, hit and went over the top of his hood. His vehicle was pushed into the center divide and then skidded to a stop along the slow lane of the freeway, (lane 4) Nobody was injured in that vehicle.

My truck, flipped end over end, during the first roll, I was ejected onto the freeway. My truck rolled several move times, side over side, and came to a rest in the number two lane.

As I came out of a backwards somersault and sat up in the number two lane, facing my truck, I could see the under carriage of my truck and the wheels were still spinning.

I remember looking down at my legs and thinking, "OMG, my legs are Fu@@ed up" I don't remember seeing any blood, but clearly they were bleeding as when I got out of the hospital and got my truck and property back, there was blood splatter all over things like my check book and such.

I had bad lacerations, severed my tendons in my ankle, road rash all over.

The things ya remember, it took 8 minutes for the ambulance to arrive and 5 minutes to get me to the trauma center.

Before surgery, the main surgeon told me I was very lucky. I told him if I was so lucky, I would not have been in the accident.

He told me that 13% of people who are ejected from a motor vehicle live to tell about it.

The accident was legally my fault, as I made an unsafe lane change.

But if that guy had maintained his same speed, rather then speed up, everything would have been fine.

What happened to you sucks, but you ALWAYS have to check lanes before moving over! You never know what will magically appear. I hope it was a crappy truck. This sounds like a crazy accident in NASCAR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
On a related note, it also irritates the living death out of me when people:
  • Drive in the lane that is of the opposite direction from which they plan to make a turn ("turning from the wrong lane"). Ex: You're driving in the right-hand lane of a road with 2 or more lanes in each direction. Just before you approach a perpendicular road, or parking lot, etc., the a-hole in the left-hand lane cuts you off, slams on their brakes, and tries to make a right-hand turn without getting hit in the rear. Turning from the opposite side of the road is beyond stupid, and yet the behavior is prolific where I live (driving in general is a nightmare in much of Florida, heh).
First time I ever saw this move was a few years ago in South Carolina. Scared the hell out of me! Then after living there for a few months, I saw how common it was. Who at the DMV taught this move? It's like the idiots had a crappy driver convention and created this move.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:03 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,665,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
My wife is a very cautious driver and people get frustrated with her sometimes. Really upsets me because if they knew her, how nice and kind she is they would feel pretty damn bad about honking their horn at her just because she might have cost them 10 secs. I hate human drivers, I really do.

Can hardly wait for google to take the wheel of these idiot's cars.
I have a big problem with people who use their horns in an aggressive manner. Your horn is there to alert other drivers to a situation, not to express your displeasure with someone else on the road. Out here in WA, horns are only to be used for emergencies, and you can be fined for using them in a non-emergency situation. That's one law I'd like to see the cops enforce more often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored chick View Post
People are just a**holes.
Pretty much.

With so much aggression on the road these days, coupled with the seeming widespread ignorance of the rules of the road, I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to make people take a written and/or driving test on a regular basis to get their licenses renewed. I don't know what the laws are from state to state, but I've lived in three states and I don't think I've ever had to take a test of any kind since I got my first license at age 16.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:19 PM

3,339 posts, read 2,142,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
First time I ever saw this move was a few years ago in South Carolina. Scared the hell out of me! Then after living there for a few months, I saw how common it was. Who at the DMV taught this move? It's like the idiots had a crappy driver convention and created this move.
Perhaps the DMV in SC is similar to my area in FL, where DLs are handed out like candy after test takers simply drive in a circle around the parking lot before being sent on their way. In any case, the maneuver appears to be favored heavily among southern drivers.

Same thing with idiots coming to a sudden, complete stop on a 45-55mph road and waiting multiple seconds before moving again to complete their turn. This is a popular scam here in which people try to get rear-ended since the practice often translates into an easy $10k (or greater) insurance payout.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:21 PM

12 posts, read 110,705 times
Default i have read post after post

Does anyone realize that their are people who go out and do this type of driving on purpose, then when a wreak happens they sue and win? They make a living doing this. So I just drive and if they are slow so be it. If they pass so be it.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:21 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,161,273 times
I do sometimes get a little testy when someone passes me, forcing me to slow down because the same car is still in front of him and now this idiot is wedged in there too.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:18 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,670,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveNotCommute View Post
I see a good number of those hyper-competitive drivers. But sometimes, I think the driver in question simply has poor road awareness and don't realize that they are cruising slower than they think they are. When you make your move to pass, they are suddenly reminded to check their speed and then they pick it up right then.

Either way, they're not drivers that I want to be around so I'll pick up speed and try to put some distance between us before slowing back to a good cruising speed.
I've wondered the same. Furthermore, I've also wondered if some people are driving with disconnected odometers, and just drive as fast as the fastest car in their proximity.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:52 AM

8,070 posts, read 12,790,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
We have some morons on the roads around here like that. When you do pass them you are going far too fast, but it's the only way to get past stupid. I have to say...I enjoy the acceleration of a motorcycle. I can make the pass quickly and get back onto my lane, without taking 1/2 mile to get past them.

Drivers in general seem to have gotten a lot worse in the past 10 years or so. The left lane blockers weren't a problem around here a decade ago, but now I run into them on the 4-lane nearly every day. After following some idiot pacing a car in the right lane for miles I too often make a more "aggressive" pass than I'd like. These idiots don't seem to understand the concept of "keep right except to pass". Wish the state police would issue more tickets for that.
I was so thankful to have a forced career change a few years back. I used to drive 42 miles of interstate every workday each way. I was always stressed out due to the stupidity on the roads. The passing lane hogs contributed to most of the stress. Now I have a five mile drive on country roads and am lucky to even SEE another vehicle on my commute. After the first of the year my commute will be from the bedroom to my home office.

I haven't driven on an interstate highway in over eight months.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:05 AM

210 posts, read 246,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
If someone is going 80 in a 55 mile-per-hour zone, who's the jackass?
The ones who make it their job to be pace cars.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
Perhaps the DMV in SC is similar to my area in FL, where DLs are handed out like candy after test takers simply drive in a circle around the parking lot before being sent on their way. In any case, the maneuver appears to be favored heavily among southern drivers.

Same thing with idiots coming to a sudden, complete stop on a 45-55mph road and waiting multiple seconds before moving again to complete their turn. This is a popular scam here in which people try to get rear-ended since the practice often translates into an easy $10k (or greater) insurance payout.
Maybe the guy who runs both DMV's are related. Wouldn't surprise me one bit. How did you know in parts of SC they literally drive around a parking lot for the test? And no that's no joke. In the town I lived in they literally drove around the DMV parking lot and parallel parked between two orange ones because you know how cones are just like a car.

There's lots of "special" drivers on the road today. I'm rarely let down when out and about. I'd say 95% of the time, I end up with one of the special ones in front of me. It's like I have an idiot magnet attached to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive