Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 11:35 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,433,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
I was driving home on the highway in RI at ~1:00AM a few yrs ago. No one else on road. I was in the passing lane yet only doing the speed limit because, again, no one else on road and my exit would eventually be on the left.

Some winner in a truck flies up behind me and continues to very aggressively beep on and off for me to move to the other lane. Then come the on and off high beams. Since there was NO one else on the road and s/he was being an arse, i did not want to reward this behavior.

Instead of passing, s/he keeps beeping for a good 20minutes until s/he got off the road. The way s/he sped up to me and was honking, I'm sure s/he was not worried about "rules of the road" for why s/he refused to pass in the traveling lane.

My history working in behavioral analysis would not let this person bully me into submission. But when i think about it now, s/he was probably drunk, high, and/or psycho and it was risky not letting this winner pass.

I typically stay in the traveling lane and MMOB!
You should have moved over when you saw the other vehicle gaining ground and none of this would have happened.

You admittedly were just cruising in the passing lane, and since the other driver engaged you for 20 minutes, clearly your left exit was not close enough to justify being in the left lane. Your behavior analysis background should have let you understand that you were being passive aggressive by not moving over for faster traffic. I see two drivers both behaving badly in this scenario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 11:47 AM

734 posts, read 1,084,929 times
I hate it when people see you trying to change lanes so you can get to your exit and they speed up on purpose. People are just a**holes.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:53 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,772,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shayla2go View Post
After watching European dashcams on youtube for an hour I have to disagree lol.
Yea I saw those same videos. A lot of them were shot in Eastern Europe, Russia. They have a very different mentality than Western Europeans.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:27 PM

3,381 posts, read 2,162,326 times
On a related note, it also irritates the living death out of me when people:
  • Drive in the lane that is of the opposite direction from which they plan to make a turn ("turning from the wrong lane"). Ex: You're driving in the right-hand lane of a road with 2 or more lanes in each direction. Just before you approach a perpendicular road, or parking lot, etc., the a-hole in the left-hand lane cuts you off, slams on their brakes, and tries to make a right-hand turn without getting hit in the rear. Turning from the opposite side of the road is beyond stupid, and yet the behavior is prolific where I live (driving in general is a nightmare in much of Florida, heh).

Old 09-08-2014, 03:10 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,515,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I think they're hyper competitive when behind the wheel. You passing them seems to be a personal challenge to them. To pass people like that is as if you took something from them or challenged their manhood.
This exactly. They feel like they have to be Mr. Macho Alphamale, can't let him pass me! Means he has a bigger dick than me! Or whatever stupid childish mindset they possess. It's usually high school kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hush.bereel View Post
I see this all the time. It's pretty sad. It only shows that these people are full of themselves and think they own the road. These are the same people who drive side by side at the same speed, effectively creating a wall of cars that no one can pass, which is not only an assholish thing to do but it is dangerous. Where I live, I frequently see police pull over people for driving too slow in the left lane, which makes me super happy every time. Most of these highway bullies don't know that it is actually illegal to cause a traffic jam by driving slow in the left lane... and YES, driving the speed limit when the flow of traffic is going about 10mph faster than that is in fact considered driving too slow.

Here's a fun example of a cop demonstrating to someone to gtfo of the left lane:

Police pull over slow driver - YouTube
I've always loved that video. Looks like the GSP?

Old 09-08-2014, 04:03 PM

7 posts, read 9,685 times
I'm guilty: I'm a "Sunday driver" hahaha I'd prefer you pass and go around than ride my bumper forever.. but for God's sakes if you fly by then maintain your speed.. whole point of driving slow is to enjoy the scenery not to have to stare at a bumper to make sure you don't rear-end someone who is in the rat race rush. Oh and yeah, if (I) or the person slows down.. that means go around, not 'I'm trying to annoy you by slowing down just because I see you are going a million miles an hour' hahahah

although on a sidebar: if there's hella traffic and you fly around to jump in a lane that then begins to crawl then try and jump back in front of me as we near a tunnel entrance or merge lane.. then yeah.. "It's on!" hahahaha

Old 09-08-2014, 05:38 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,345,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
jackasses being what they are, complete idiots, nothing more nothing less.
If someone is going 80 in a 55 mile-per-hour zone, who's the jackass?

Old 09-08-2014, 06:28 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,390,201 times
I live in Ak. People here are very wise when it comes down to saving money. So to save on gas, they drive exactly 55 on the hwys, and often they do it side-by side (usually in Subarus Outbacks or Legacies), so there's no way to pass them at all (we in the interior don't have more than 4 lines). I guess they try to teach me how to be thrifty, like them.
Also, if an Alaska driver wants to turn left in 20 miles or so, he woud drive in the left line on any speed that allows him enjoy the scenery. He thinks if he adores it everyone should. (It's "he" because "she would ususlly drive in the right lane just for precaution). I miss quick drivers. I enjoyed driven at 90 in Midwest with perfect hwy etiquette there.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:29 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,422,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Yes, people do this all the time. As someone who frequents the left lane, I go between 80 mph and 85 mph; however, there are some idiots who think it's okay to cruise at 60 mph and don't notice that the whole world is going around them. Some people get their feelings hurt.
Hold on there you are doing 80-85 and you are accusing others of being idiots. You are no better than the left lane dicks you are calling idiots.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:34 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,663,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
How about people that go 10mph below the speed limit on a two lane road in no passing areas but once they hit a stretch that passing is legal they speed up to 10 over the limit only to slow back down when it is a no passing area. Followed an idiot like that yesterday for 10 miles; they apparently didn't want anyone to pass them. When we got into town they had eight or nine cars stacked up behind them.
Happens here all the time an it makes me nuts! Talk about being a complete jerk. Then of course the guy behind you is riding your tail and getting pissy with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive