Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2014, 07:52 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I was so thankful to have a forced career change a few years back. I used to drive 42 miles of interstate every workday each way. I was always stressed out due to the stupidity on the roads. The passing lane hogs contributed to most of the stress. Now I have a five mile drive on country roads and am lucky to even SEE another vehicle on my commute. After the first of the year my commute will be from the bedroom to my home office.

I haven't driven on an interstate highway in over eight months.
Your blood pressure has probably dropped like a rock!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 08:14 AM

352 posts, read 324,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurogumo View Post
I'm guilty: I'm a "Sunday driver" hahaha I'd prefer you pass and go around than ride my bumper forever.. but for God's sakes if you fly by then maintain your speed.. whole point of driving slow is to enjoy the scenery not to have to stare at a bumper to make sure you don't rear-end someone who is in the rat race rush. Oh and yeah, if (I) or the person slows down.. that means go around, not 'I'm trying to annoy you by slowing down just because I see you are going a million miles an hour' hahahah

although on a sidebar: if there's hella traffic and you fly around to jump in a lane that then begins to crawl then try and jump back in front of me as we near a tunnel entrance or merge lane.. then yeah.. "It's on!" hahahaha
If you're driving in a passing lane like this, you're the reason why traffic exists and you cause accidents. GET IN THE SLOW LANE IF YOU'RE GOING SLOW. Stop being selfish and don't force others to slow down to your pace.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:21 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I'm wondering how often other people encounter this scenario - you pass someone (not illegally), and then they seem to get mad about it.

I was driving on a 4-lane highway last week and there were two cars ahead of me in the left lane who were going slightly above the speed limit (60 mph). The right lane was wide open. I wanted to go a bit faster (65-67ish) and so I got into the right lane and proceeded to move past them. And after I passed them, I just stayed in the right lane.

Next thing I know, the first car starts speeding up to catch up with me.

Up ahead, traffic was going to be merging into my lane, and when we got down there, he sped up even more to prevent me from going in front of him. I was then forced to get behind him.

He then proceeded to slow down, yet when I had another opportunity to go around him (by getting in the right lane), he sped up again to block me.

It quickly began to feel like this person was purposely playing games with me, when I had done nothing to him except to drive faster than him.

I do not understand this behavior!!!! What is the point?
slow down!

If people are already going over the speed limit, then you don't need to be passing them in the right lane. People like you cause accidents. Is the 3 minutes you save on your way to work worth risking your life and endangering others

Old 09-09-2014, 08:30 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,470,276 times
You are the one making it dangerous if you are going slow in the left lane when everyone is passing on the right. Keeping with the flow of traffic is safer and the left lane is for passing. If you want to drive slow stay to the right

Old 09-09-2014, 09:12 AM

986 posts, read 1,666,301 times
One of the things I've noticed - those that are driving erratically or not maintaining a certain level of speed may not be speeding up/slowing down because they are trying to **** you off, but they're doing it because they are distracted (usually texting/talking and driving).

The worst case I've seen of distracted driving - I once saw a man shaving and driving. Yikes.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:34 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedmustang View Post
One of the things I've noticed - those that are driving erratically or not maintaining a certain level of speed may not be speeding up/slowing down because they are trying to **** you off, but they're doing it because they are distracted (usually texting/talking and driving).

The worst case I've seen of distracted driving - I once saw a man shaving and driving. Yikes.
In some cases, it's also possible that the conditions of the roadway do not allow for a steady speed. Too many people around here begin passing without giving a signal beforehand. So if I have, for example, slowed down to 45 in a 55 because of a curve, hill-crest, or some other hazard, I will speed back up after the danger has passed; but if you indicate to me that you would like to overtake, I'll wait until you pass before I begin accelerating.

A little bit of communication goes a long way. If you let me know you'd like to pass, I am more than happy to accommodate. But unless you make your intentions known, I assume you're content where you are. I'll take my foot off the gas once I see you starting to pass, but I wouldn't have accelerated at all had you given me a signal beforehand.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:38 AM

210 posts, read 246,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedmustang View Post

How does one accomplish this without either
  • Cutting yourself
  • Spilling the water all over the car.
  • Veering into another vehicle
  • All of the above.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:39 AM

986 posts, read 1,666,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shayla2go View Post
  • Cutting yourself
  • All of the above.
He was using an electric razor - but still...

Old 09-09-2014, 09:45 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shayla2go View Post
  • Cutting yourself
  • All of the above.
Have you heard of an electric razor? Did you think he had the bathroom sink on the passenger seat?

Old 09-09-2014, 09:54 AM

8,063 posts, read 12,774,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgeYourInvestments View Post
If you're driving in a passing lane like this, you're the reason why traffic exists and you cause accidents. GET IN THE SLOW LANE IF YOU'RE GOING SLOW. Stop being selfish and don't force others to slow down to your pace.
That's the problem right there. We should never refer to the travel lane as "the slow lane". You have your travel lane on the right and the passing lane on the left. I suspect a lot of people stay in the passing lane because they do not want to be perceived as being "slow".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive