Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 04:49 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestRedux View Post
Let's not tangle up semantics. The left lane is not technically the fast lane. However, the farthest left lane on any multi-lane, general purpose road in America is for PASSING ONLY, unless otherwise marked.

If you are in the left lane and you are not currently in the act of passing someone, (going at least 5-10 miles faster than them to do so) you are breaking the law. GET OUT. This goes for the person going the speed limit and the person going 30 miles over the speed limit. No Exceptions. This isn't the INDY 500 and you are not the pace car.

There are more than enough law enforcement personal dedicated to controlling the flow and speed of traffic. They don't need your help.
This is incorrect. In Texas, the left lane of a multi-lane, general purpose road is for passing only ONLY if so marked with language that is specified in the statutes. (In other words, the opposite of what you state above.) If such signage does not exist, per statute and, more importantly, case law (the occasional LEO has your misconception and gets a drug case based on an arrest on that belief thrown out of course for a bad stop), the left lane is a travel lane like any other.

The other critical part of the statute states that if you are exceeding the posted speed limit or, lacking a posted limit, the limit as set in the statutes, you are violating the law and are guilty of reckless driving.

And the public highways are not the Indy 500, you're absolutely correct. And those who think it is need to understand that they are not driving race cars.

Both parts of the law are important in these discussions. Both are equally important when driving on the roads, as well. As is understanding that traffic statutes differ in different states, sometimes in minor, sometimes in less minor, ways.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 06:46 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,549,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Like this?

I admit I finally just watched this video today.

YES!!! This is almost exactly what the idiot was doing to me in my OP, except it wasn't a Prius.

Thankfully it never got to the point of him slamming on his brakes to block me though. That is probably because after his first two attempts to speed up and block me, I just decided to stay away from him as he had proven to be a psycho nutjob and there was no telling what other kind of crazy cr@p he would try to pull on me.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:00 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,846,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Yes, people do this all the time. As someone who frequents the left lane, I go between 80 mph and 85 mph; however, there are some idiots who think it's okay to cruise at 60 mph and don't notice that the whole world is going around them. Some people get their feelings hurt.
Yes. Where I'm from originally, 80-85 mph is a typical speed on the highway. Not so much where I live now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
I rep every speeder on this thread. I deal with this crap every day.

After reading all these posts. I thought we all live in the same city.

I don't under stand the left lane linger. Talking on the phone... Or just plain clueless. Driving in the blind spot of a semi.
"Left lane linger." I like that better than "left-lane hogging." Yes, this is the main source of my driving frustration where I live. Every. Single. Day.

As I drove home from work yesterday, I was stuck behind a driver going 55 mph in the left lane. When I passed her on the right, I saw that she was texting.

Last week, I was stuck behind another driver also going around 55 or 60 mph in the left lane. When I passed her, I saw her - and I'm NOT kidding - applying mascara. Had I a passenger in the car with me, I would have asked them to record her. Then I would have posted the vid on YouTube.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:19 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,038,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
This is incorrect. In Texas, the left lane of a multi-lane, general purpose road is for passing only ONLY if so marked with language that is specified in the statutes. (In other words, the opposite of what you state above.) If such signage does not exist, per statute and, more importantly, case law (the occasional LEO has your misconception and gets a drug case based on an arrest on that belief thrown out of course for a bad stop), the left lane is a travel lane like any other.

The other critical part of the statute states that if you are exceeding the posted speed limit or, lacking a posted limit, the limit as set in the statutes, you are violating the law and are guilty of reckless driving.

And the public highways are not the Indy 500, you're absolutely correct. And those who think it is need to understand that they are not driving race cars.

Both parts of the law are important in these discussions. Both are equally important when driving on the roads, as well. As is understanding that traffic statutes differ in different states, sometimes in minor, sometimes in less minor, ways.

It is correct from a cultural and courtesy standpoint, however, even if it is not a law. Needlessly delaying others is always rude. It's a different story in congested traffic, where every lane will be occupied, but in light to moderate traffic, "keep right, except to pass or turn left" is the most polite way to share the highway with other motorists.

It's not just about following the letter of the law; each car on the highway is piloted by another human being, and you should always extend the same courtesies you would like them to extend to you. For all you know, the person could have a very valid reason for being in a hurry. Perhaps driving a loved one to the ER, or something like that.

Driving is about getting where you need to go safely and in a timely manner, not about proving a point or making a statement.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:04 PM

340 posts, read 645,958 times
Quote:
It would be useful, I'd think, to stop calling the left lane the "fast lane" - since by legal definition slower traffic is traffic that is driving below the speed limit and fast traffic is traffic that is driving at the speed limit, and calling the left lane the "fast lane" tends to give some selfish and entitled people the idea that the speed limit doesn't apply in that lane, or at least doesn't apply to them.
We need another name that encourages those driving slower than the speed limit to stay out of it and those using it to remember that they are supposed to be driving the speed limit and no faster in it, and if they are driving faster than that, they are breaking the law and being just as selfish as those that they castigate for breaking the slow traffic keep right law.
Yay ... this argument, again. They do have signs to remind them that they are supposed to be driving the speed limit: speed limit signs. And if they want to be "selfish" and speed, it's law enforcement's job to enforce it, not their fellow drivers.

Old 09-15-2014, 03:02 PM

265 posts, read 402,577 times
^ LOL. I, too, was wondering how the ones speeding are technically being "selfish." Not sure how that would be explained, as long as they are at least trying to do it in the far left lane. maybe it's considered being selfish when they ride the ass of someone who is selfishly and stubbornly refusing to get out of the left lane?

Old 09-15-2014, 05:06 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,549,432 times
I found this amusing:

Pet Peeves: The "Passing" Lane (Censored) - YouTube

Old 09-15-2014, 05:37 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hush.bereel View Post
^ LOL. I, too, was wondering how the ones speeding are technically being "selfish." Not sure how that would be explained, as long as they are at least trying to do it in the far left lane. maybe it's considered being selfish when they ride the ass of someone who is selfishly and stubbornly refusing to get out of the left lane?
Pretty much they're being selfish when they firmly believe that they are entitled to speed and it's their road and anyone who doesn't get out of their way and thus prevents them from breaking the law is in the wrong and SHOULD get out of their way because, after all (see above, ad infinitum). In other words, I wanna do what I wanna do and therefore it is right that I get to do what I wanna do and the rules don't apply to me but they DO apply to everyone else if they allow me to do whatever I wanna do.

Yeah, that argument. Over and over and over again in various different permutations, all saying pretty much that.

I find it hilarious that the very same people who accuse those who drive the speed limit of trying to be law enforcement at the same time try to force those people who are obeying the law to obey the law that would allow them, themselves, to speed. Thus trying to enforce the law that they approve of so that they can disobey the law that hampers them from doing what they wanna do.

Old 09-15-2014, 05:50 PM

293 posts, read 310,048 times
Quote:
I find it hilarious that the very same people who accuse those who drive the speed limit of trying to be law enforcement at the same time try to force those people who are obeying the law to obey the law that would allow them, themselves, to speed.
I've never bought that rationalization. It's like they're demanding that you also break the law with them, otherwise you're the problem.

Old 09-15-2014, 05:55 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,632,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
I do the same thing on the interstate. I give them 30 seconds to see me an move over and then I start flashing my headlights. If that doesn't work, I pass on the right and blow my horn while staring them down and cursing.

In Germany it is ILLEGAL to impede the flow of traffic in the left lane.
Way to be an adult! In some places, that will get YOU pulled over and a few tickets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive