Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 03:19 PM

5,332 posts, read 8,541,852 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering how often other people encounter this scenario - you pass someone (not illegally), and then they seem to get mad about it.

I was driving on a 4-lane highway last week and there were two cars ahead of me in the left lane who were going slightly above the speed limit (60 mph). The right lane was wide open. I wanted to go a bit faster (65-67ish) and so I got into the right lane and proceeded to move past them. And after I passed them, I just stayed in the right lane.

Next thing I know, the first car starts speeding up to catch up with me.

Up ahead, traffic was going to be merging into my lane, and when we got down there, he sped up even more to prevent me from going in front of him. I was then forced to get behind him.

He then proceeded to slow down, yet when I had another opportunity to go around him (by getting in the right lane), he sped up again to block me.

It quickly began to feel like this person was purposely playing games with me, when I had done nothing to him except to drive faster than him.

I do not understand this behavior!!!! What is the point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 03:30 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,321,638 times
Yes, people do this all the time. As someone who frequents the left lane, I go between 80 mph and 85 mph; however, there are some idiots who think it's okay to cruise at 60 mph and don't notice that the whole world is going around them. Some people get their feelings hurt.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:30 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,830,354 times
jackasses being what they are, complete idiots, nothing more nothing less.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:59 PM

523 posts, read 654,534 times
I've had this happen to me on highways and it is annoying, but nowhere near as bad as passing someone on a two-lane road (when its legal), and having them speed up in the process (trying to block you), or tailgating you once you get around them. I try to avoid doing this anyway as I'm not usually in such a hurry, but every once in a while I will, and for people to reciprocate is frustrating and dangerous.

Old 09-06-2014, 04:34 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,804,859 times
I had this happen to me last month. They tried to block me out but I went anyways. It was reckless and dangerous of both of us. I won't do what I did again. I have no idea why anyone would do that to me or to the OP. I can't figure out their logic.

Old 09-06-2014, 04:52 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,701,017 times
I know these people, and I group them with those that:
- speed up when you try to pass
- speed up when you turn on your blinker to merge, when there is plenty of room
- honk as you pass them, even if you are in a second lane
- get mad if you merge into their lane too soon/fast
- don't keep a constant speed on the highway
- loaf in the passing lane
- pass you then slow down
- "attach" to you when you go by, matching your speed and "following" you

In other words, bad drivers, who don't look at driving as a social activity but instead think they own the road, and are paying little attention to what they are doing as the hurtle through space.

Old 09-06-2014, 05:01 PM

17,613 posts, read 17,649,156 times
I think they're hyper competitive when behind the wheel. You passing them seems to be a personal challenge to them. To pass people like that is as if you took something from them or challenged their manhood.

Old 09-06-2014, 05:05 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,468,905 times
When I pass it's quickly enough for me not to even see their reaction. and if they try to speed up and block me, I will just blow them away. especially on a two lane road, it should be a felony to speed up when someone is attempting to pass as this is extremely dangerous

Old 09-06-2014, 05:17 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,588,153 times
I could care less if someone passes me. There are lots of people that are hyper or can't get up on time so they speed it doesn't bother me. In fact i like when they fly by me because i get a kick out of seeing them get snagged by a state trooper a few lights up

Old 09-06-2014, 05:23 PM

656 posts, read 1,340,947 times
What really pisses me off is when they drive slow until you pass them in a semi, then they suddenly become REAL interested in speeding up... typically, to pull in front of you and then slow down again. I notice this a lot especially with RVers, but I just don't let them get in front of me... that five-and-a-quarter Cummins gives me all I need to keep it from happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive