Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2008, 02:00 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post
Great taste in cars!! I'll have to disagree with you about the C2S though, all Carrera's are great handling cars, you just have to know the intricacies of the rear-engine layout and the effects that has on the physics and feel of the vehicle.
Believe me, I can throttle steer and achieve lurid broadslides with the best of them, having raced cars (and a RWD mid-engine tube-frame car on slicks at that) for years. I enjoyed the 911 more than I enjoyed some of the big American cars - Corvettes and Vipers - but it was a finicky car, and it broke the "strand me three times and you are OUT of the garage" rule. Also, it was nice that the speedo went to 180 mph, but the distance between 25 mph and 40 mph on the speedo was too small to accurately read - I had to tape up a chart on the dash that had gear, RPM and resultant speed so that I didn't badly speed around town. Just not worth the trouble.

My Mini isn't all that fast in a long straight line, but it's incredibly responsive, has gobs of torque, slides around corners nicely, which is really all I want. Also, the supercharger whine is a thing of beauty, especially with an underdrive pulley, an after-market air box and intake and exhausts. And a chip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 03:42 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,845,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Believe me, I can throttle steer and achieve lurid broadslides with the best of them, having raced cars (and a RWD mid-engine tube-frame car on slicks at that) for years. I enjoyed the 911 more than I enjoyed some of the big American cars - Corvettes and Vipers - but it was a finicky car, and it broke the "strand me three times and you are OUT of the garage" rule. Also, it was nice that the speedo went to 180 mph, but the distance between 25 mph and 40 mph on the speedo was too small to accurately read - I had to tape up a chart on the dash that had gear, RPM and resultant speed so that I didn't badly speed around town. Just not worth the trouble.

My Mini isn't all that fast in a long straight line, but it's incredibly responsive, has gobs of torque, slides around corners nicely, which is really all I want. Also, the supercharger whine is a thing of beauty, especially with an underdrive pulley, an after-market air box and intake and exhausts. And a chip.
Something truly spectacular about a woman that knows her cars.

I've heard that the Mini's are a blast to drive, particularly for the reasons you specified. I couldn't see myself in one though, I'd much rather get a Lotus Exige if I was going to go with a small car. As it is the M, IMO, is the perfect balance of power, handling, and utility. I've toyed with the idea of picking up a 996 GT3 to daily drive and track a few times a year, but I would honestly feel obnoxious driving that around every day.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:38 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
I bought the Mini used: 1 year old, 7,500 miles, $20k. Beat that price for something that's new and a blast to drive.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:38 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post
I've toyed with the idea of picking up a 996 GT3 to daily drive and track a few times a year, but I would honestly feel obnoxious driving that around every day.
Wow, a GT3 as a daily driver? Run over a pebble, dent a rim & knock your fillings out. Rides like a chuckwagon but it sure is stylish and brutally quick...

Old 02-25-2008, 10:38 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Best... 1988 Cadillac Sedan Deville. I bought it when it was 10 years old and have owned it for another 10. 18 mpg city and 28 hwy.
Those were/are good-looking! I especially like the Coupe de Ville. The 87-88 were better looking/more finished looking than the 85-86.

Best car - my current drive - 1992 Regal coupe with 3800 V6 - original powertrain at 243,000 miles. Burns no oil, it comes out golden when changed, shifts imperceptibly, fluid still pink - Why? Changed oil every 2,500 miles and changed trans fluid every 25,000 miles. Cheap insurance. Going for 300,000....God willing.

Sidebar: just bought a brand new 2008 La Crosse with the same 3800 V6 last month because of the great deals/rebates.

Worst car - 79 Camaro with 5.0 litre V8. Mistake: I bought it used with low miles. I don't think it was broken in correctly. It blew a belch of blue in the AM after sitting overnight...probably valve seals. Some other issues that were never resolved: some steering play up front and a hum in the differential. Thirstier than the 1976 Cutlass Supreme with a larger V-8 that my Dad had at the time.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Wow, a GT3 as a daily driver? Run over a pebble, dent a rim & knock your fillings out. Rides like a chuckwagon but it sure is stylish and brutally quick...
I'm one of the few drivers left that actually likes to drive as opposed to being driven. My current car is a slushbox 2007 G35 sedan, and I absolutely hate it. Noone can understand why but coming from an M3 should explain it all. It's not a bad car, it's just entirely too luxurious for my taste. Comfort is not a priority, a rewarding driving experience is, even if it is only for the commute. If I had it my way I would be driving a track ready cup car or RSR.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:40 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Maybe it's different where you live, but where I live the problem with trying to get a "rewarding experience" out of the daily commute is that the road conditions simply don't accommodate a rewarding experience -- in fact, the punishment factor is directly proportional to how rewarding an experience your car would provide if the roads didn't suck and there was nobody else on them. Which leads me to problem #2: traffic conditions don't provide a lot of opportunities for it either. Don't get me wrong, I'm not the type to view a car as just an appliance, but a GT3 as a daily driver is flippin' overkill. A standard 911, maybe. A GT3? Hell's teeth. That's like using a steamroller to crush a cockroach.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Maybe it's different where you live, but where I live the problem with trying to get a "rewarding experience" out of the daily commute is that the road conditions simply don't accommodate a rewarding experience -- in fact, the punishment factor is directly proportional to how rewarding an experience your car would provide if the roads didn't suck and there was nobody else on them. Which leads me to problem #2: traffic conditions don't provide a lot of opportunities for it either. Don't get me wrong, I'm not the type to view a car as just an appliance, but a GT3 as a daily driver is flippin' overkill. A standard 911, maybe. A GT3? Hell's teeth. That's like using a steamroller to crush a cockroach.

I agree, and honestly how much reward could I get out of a 15 mile commute anyway, especially in traffic. I think I will get back into an E46 M3 and perhaps pick up a 125cc shifter.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:45 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,900,448 times
Worst Car- 2000 Chrylser Sebring- Yes, I let my daughter and others talk me into how much fun it would be to have a convertible. The notoriety wore off and this car had to get serviced so often! One problem after another-first and last American car I bought-piece of junk!!

Best Car- 2007 Lexus IS 350 AWD- Perfect car, so comfortable, great pickup and power, smooth, quiet, my husband is so mad that he did not listen to me and get a Lexus for himself as well. Prior to this I drove almost only Toyotas and he drove only American. He learned his lesson!

Old 02-27-2008, 09:31 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,715,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
Worst Car- 2000 Chrylser Sebring- Yes, I let my daughter and others talk me into how much fun it would be to have a convertible. The notoriety wore off and this car had to get serviced so often! One problem after another-first and last American car I bought-piece of junk!!

Best Car- 2007 Lexus IS 350 AWD- Perfect car, so comfortable, great pickup and power, smooth, quiet, my husband is so mad that he did not listen to me and get a Lexus for himself as well. Prior to this I drove almost only Toyotas and he drove only American. He learned his lesson!
Good choice! I signed the paperwork on a Lexus LX470 yesterday and take delivery of it on Friday afternoon...so excited! My father talked me into Lexus after he bought a LS460 to replace his unreliable S Class, and I was itching to get out of my horrendous S Class as well. We were always a Mercedes family, but we all know what happened to Mercedes reliability and build quality since the 1990's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive