Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 04:23 PM

8,558 posts, read 10,984,238 times

Advertisements

But Nissan is not the only vehicles doing this sliding in commercials.
Mercedes, Lexus, BMW, Infinity, are all guilty of the same thing .
I just don't see the point behind these ads.

Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 04:46 PM

28,677 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
But Nissan is not the only vehicles doing this sliding in commercials.
Mercedes, Lexus, BMW, Infinity, are all guilty of the same thing .
I just don't see the point behind these ads.

Bob.
You must not be watching the same movies as their target audience, like the "Fast and the Furious" franchise.

Old 09-19-2015, 05:03 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,137,817 times
Quote:
What is "fun, fast. exciting, sporty got to do with kicking up dirt while sliding sideways?
It looks, and is so stupid.

Bob.

Watch Fast and Furious movies.
Watch TopGear UK episodes.
Watch a rally race.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:55 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,082,060 times
Or how about the commercials where the car is driving at about 40 mph but they make it sound like the car is in second gear and they removed the muffler.

Old 09-19-2015, 07:12 PM

986 posts, read 2,509,302 times
Default Slicked-up America

Quote:
Can someone(hopefully someone who is involved in television commercials) explain all these incredibly stupid ads showing different vehicles sliding sideways .
Who the hell drives like this, and what is the purpose of showing vehicles sliding sideways, be it in sand, or the street.
I just don't get it.
Particular are the Nissan ads for their cars.
It looks so dammed stupid, especially when real drivers don't drive like that.
What are they trying to prove?

Bob.
It's just hype and style, of course. Cars are sold on the basis of being able to go slightly faster or tighter than the next guy, even when real-world situations make it largely moot. Shallow people think that pressing down a piece of rubberized metal proves something about one's superiority to a herd of like-minded sheep. Many buyers seem to think they'll be running from the cops at some point.

Same with towing capacities that always seem to be rising. How did we ever manage with older trucks? We drove a little slower, mostly!

Rent "Idiocracy" if you're tired of these ads and many other behaviors.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:32 PM

12,850 posts, read 9,064,235 times
Maybe all the ad execs live and work in New York and don't even have a driver's license.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:47 PM

1,156 posts, read 942,039 times
Quote:
I believe my daily driver states that I am all of the above you feel I am not, and I certainly don't have to be sliding sideways on the road, or dirt to prove my point.
A Corvette with "APT MGR" for the vanity plate? Doesn't prove much. At least take off those chrome tailight things.

Old 09-19-2015, 10:10 PM

2,160 posts, read 3,595,829 times
Quote:
And once again I find myself asking, what is fun, sporty, exciting about sliding sideways and kicking up a whole lot of dirt?

I was a stock car racer for 12 years and raced on dirt exclusively. Threw a fair amount of mud and dry dirt in my day and my last season got a track championship in my class. I thought it was an absolute blast. i have NO interest in trying to drive my Honda Fit that way!

Don on Austin

Quote:
I will never understand the logic(if you can call it that) of the ad makers bothering to show this immature content as something that is good for sales.
Judging by Nissan sales, I don't believe it has helped them at all.

Old 09-19-2015, 10:30 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,281,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
Always notice that Nissan always seem to have RED cars. That is for a purpose as well.
So does Mazda.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:16 AM

519 posts, read 777,399 times
OP you sound like you're a lot of fun at parties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive