Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 09:20 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,689,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
You just described all the new Dodge commercials.
That might explain why Dodges look beaten down after a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 10:33 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,519,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
And once again I find myself asking, what is fun, sporty, exciting about sliding sideways and kicking up a whole lot of dirt?
Have you ever done it? It is fun.

If you don't agree, then chalk it up to difference of opinion. I've frequently raced cars on tracks and powersliding a RWD car has got to be one of the most thrilling things you can do with a car.

People who don't think that's fun probably drive a Prius anyway

Last edited by BostonMike7; 09-21-2015 at 10:41 AM..

Old 09-21-2015, 11:44 AM

8,563 posts, read 10,984,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Have you ever done it? It is fun.

If you don't agree, then chalk it up to difference of opinion. I've frequently raced cars on tracks and powersliding a RWD car has got to be one of the most thrilling things you can do with a car.

People who don't think that's fun probably drive a Prius anyway

When I was young, I could think of a lot more "thrilling things" to do in a car , and it didn't involve power sliding in the dirt.

Bob.

Old 09-21-2015, 01:08 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,550,307 times
Quote:
Can someone(hopefully someone who is involved in television commercials) explain all these incredibly stupid ads showing different vehicles sliding sideways .
Who the hell drives like this, and what is the purpose of showing vehicles sliding sideways, be it in sand, or the street.
I just don't get it.
Particular are the Nissan ads for their cars.
It looks so dammed stupid, especially when real drivers don't drive like that.
What are they trying to prove?

Bob.

It looks exciting to the youngsters in their target audience.

Old 09-21-2015, 01:19 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,780,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
You just described all the new Dodge commercials.
They mainly show the Hellcats and the Viper doing the most hard driving. What do you expect from vehicles like that? Showing the owners going to Costco and trying to stuff a year's supply of toilet paper in the trunk?

The Nissan ads bug me a little because the cars are obviously using computer animation and green screen to get the spokesperson that close to the vehicles and to put the average mom and dad in the driver seat. The ad they ran with the Rogue driving up on rooftops and sliding on powerlines is just silly.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:22 PM

6,561 posts, read 7,143,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
They mainly show the Hellcats and the Viper doing the most hard driving. What do you expect from vehicles like that? Showing the owners going to Costco and trying to stuff a year's supply of toilet paper in the trunk?

The Nissan ads bug me a little because the cars are obviously using computer animation and green screen to get the spokesperson that close to the vehicles and to put the average mom and dad in the driver seat. The ad they ran with the Rogue driving up on rooftops and sliding on powerlines is just silly.
I was referring to person who mentioned cars in commercials doing burnouts. Like the Dodge one where Wyatt Earp and Doc Holiday are in a model T doing a burnout.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:09 PM

9,520 posts, read 4,346,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
OK, I'm not trying to be on your case, but what you wrote struck me funny and I had a good laugh. Right now I know 4 people that drive corvettes. One is in a senior home with my stepfather, but is a spry 82 years old and somewhat of a lady’s man and his vett is only one year old. My brother in law is 75, he has two for show only. Our best friend, she is 70 years old and drives it everyday. One of my neighbors in his late 60's that drives his on nice weekends only. I wonder, are you by any chance in that age group.
That's exactly the same reaction I had when CALGUY posted a picture of an old Corvette (ragtop, no less) to show that he's a sporty kind of guy. Corvettes are the darling of the geriatric set and are typically found trundling along below the speed limit with some geezer behind the wheel. Corvettes most certainly do not exemplify a sporty image. Not slamming the car itself, which is an amazing car for the money. I actually bought a new Z06 back in 2004, but only kept it for a year or so. Lots of bang for the buck, but the incredibly crappy interior offended me every time I drove it. I was literally embarrassed whenever I had a passenger. Seriously, I had a 1985 Honda Accord with a far better interior.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:19 PM

9,520 posts, read 4,346,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
IMO they are just trying to make their cars look as cool as possible.

I remember seeing the commercial for the 2010 Taurus SHO. They had Jeff Gordon driving it on a race course and drifting through the corners. Multiple car magazines tried to recreate that and couldnt get a normal production car to drift.
I remember that commercial, but recall only one magazine trying to drift an SHO. There was some debate as to whether they were trying to drift a base SHO or 12S Performance Package ("Track Pack") car. Only Performance Package equipped cars allow all electronic nannies to be turned off. In a non-12S car, stability control, traction control, etc., will intervene before the car will drift. I know from personal experience that a 12S car with all the nanny electronics turned off (via a button on the center console), will drift. However, I would not recommend doing so on a public road.

Regarding the topic at hand - car commercials with cars sliding around and doing donuts - I think they're pretty silly, but let's face it: most advertising is pretty ridiculous and nobody with any sense takes them seriously.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:07 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,519,731 times
Quote:
When I was young, I could think of a lot more "thrilling things" to do in a car , and it didn't involve power sliding in the dirt.

Bob.
Then you clearly don't have the same interests as the people those car companies market their cars toward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive