Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 01:27 PM

899 posts, read 1,016,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Absolutely not. I value my life.
I value my life, but I frankly can't enjoy it all that much when I'm in something modern/safe, or when I'm worrying about safety ratings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 02:01 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,643,059 times
I used to not think much about it, but nowadays with everyone texting or talking on their cell phones while driving it makes me a little nervous. It's common now to see people swerving out of their lane and not even noticing it.

Old 09-25-2015, 03:31 PM

455 posts, read 388,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny7214 View Post
Used cars are expensive these days! I have an opportunity to buy a decade-old Pontiac Grand Am with only 75,000 miles for 2500. It runs good, body is fine, etc Safety ratings and crash test ratings are not so great but I'm not sure they were on most vehicles at that time. I drive a lot of highway miles. Does this sound like a good deal or am I crazy to even be considering it?
On a Tuesday afternoon at 2:30 pm my spouse was coming home from costco. It was summer, pleasant weather on a neighborhood street. Was going about 30 MPH. Another car behind him was going much faster and hit a bus stop and then came across the lane and hit my spouse's car in the passenger back panel. Flipped the car over twice. My spouse lived.

A friends mother was hit in her car on the highway and died. The accident was not that severe.

Guess which one had a safer car. Had my friends mother been in a "meatier" car she would probably still be here.

Best of luck with what you decide.

Old 09-25-2015, 03:46 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
I learned to drive in a car with a javelin for a steering column and toggle switches sticking out of the dashboard, bias ply tube tires, and unassisted drum brakes all around and not even lap belts. Strong incentive to drive like you have a little common sense.

Old 09-25-2015, 03:49 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,411,818 times
Given the significant advances in recent years, I would not accept the increased risk for a daily driver that is offered by saving a few dollars. There are some vehicles that I would drive daily that are older, and feel very confident, such as a Mercedes 600 or an older Rolls-Royce because they are heavy vehicles, and the Mercedes had very good safety features for its era. Side airbags are very important as is the protection of the passenger compartment, and given a long highway commute, I'd not feel as comfortable with that vehicle for everyday use.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-25-2015, 07:11 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,545,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayennev8 View Post
On a Tuesday afternoon at 2:30 pm my spouse was coming home from costco. It was summer, pleasant weather on a neighborhood street. Was going about 30 MPH. Another car behind him was going much faster and hit a bus stop and then came across the lane and hit my spouse's car in the passenger back panel. Flipped the car over twice. My spouse lived.

A friends mother was hit in her car on the highway and died. The accident was not that severe.

Guess which one had a safer car. Had my friends mother been in a "meatier" car she would probably still be here.

Best of luck with what you decide.
Glad your spouse was ok in the wreck.

The question is whether he made it out because his car was heavier or because it had better safety features.

There is a balance between safety features and physics and it depends upon the type of wreck as to which has a greater impact.

Old 09-25-2015, 07:22 PM

797 posts, read 1,752,042 times
Before having kids I didn't check safety ratings. If that's what you can afford and it seems like a good deal then I say go for it

Old 09-25-2015, 09:41 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,774,511 times
Fact: They consider the most dangerous cars on the road, are full size pickups and Big SUVs.

They consider them the most dangerous cars on the road not because danger to the drivers and their passengers, but the damage they do to the other cars (smaller ones the worst) and to the other drivers and passengers. Take a small car with great safety features, and run head on into a F-350 4X4 crew cab pickup, and while the pickup driver and passengers will probably walk away, you won't see the same happening to the driver and passengers in the smaller car even if they have side air bags, etc. Sheer size and weight difference will see to that.

We have two cars. A F-150 pickup, and a 2012 Ford Explorer Limited AWD. I will put those up against those small cars with great safety features, as size and weight will tear the small car apart. That Pontiac has a lot of size and weight, which really helps in case of an accident.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:43 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,688,917 times
How can one be a vehicle?

Old 09-26-2015, 04:22 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,395,110 times
Probably not. Unless the thing is horrendously unsafe, I wouldn't look too hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive