Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 12:33 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,485,990 times

Advertisements

As long as it's air conditioned, I can live with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 01:10 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,530,736 times
The only thing I really can't live without is power windows. I rented a 09 KIA RIO and it was so annoying to roll down the windows on the passenger side.

Also a heater/defroster but those have been on cars since the 20s so I don't consider them modern.

A stereo head or integrated system with a USB dock is also becoming something I can't live without.

Mercedes-Benz is the king of worthless gimmick features.

My 06 CLS55 AMG had: Parktronic, Disatronic, heated seats, cooled seats, massage seats, adjustable air bladders in the seats, lane warning mirrors, reverse cam, power rear sunshade, integrated navigation, dual zone climate control, dehumidifier, 12 way memory seats, steering wheel controls for the command system, active curve illumination bi xenon headlights with deicers, Sirius radio (I do miss Octane and Lithium), voice activated calling, Push button start, remote start, key card thing that you don't even need a key, if you held down the unlock button in rolled down all the windows and if you hit it again it would open the moon roof. Runflat tires, TMPS, P030 goodies. the sticker for the cars options went on for 3 pages I had a 3 page window sticker.

I never used any of that crap but about 2 times.

I don't have that car anymore and I don't miss any of those "features."

Old 09-30-2015, 01:30 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,731,504 times
Another "useless" feature I'm finding hard to live without are one-touch close on all four windows. Most cars have one touch down on driver side, and maybe one touch up also on same window. Love one touch up and down on all four windows.

In Colorado we get isolated storms so one second you're driving with all four windows open enjoying the breeze and suddenly come across a heavy rain thunderstorm. 2 seconds to flick the windows and they all close instantly.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:15 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,527,092 times
Default After driving modern cars, what features could you not live without

Air conditioning

I went many years and many vehicles before finally getting one with A/C. Now I wouldn't think of going without it.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:18 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,722,808 times
Keyless entry, push button start, quality sound and backup camera.

Features that I have but could live without yet still miss are adaptive cruise, rain sensing wipers, blind spot monitoring, and seat massagers.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:23 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,975,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
push button start
I've driven a few cars with this and cannot, for the life of me, understand the allure. Is it really that hard to insert a key and turn it? I mean seriously, you're pushing with one finger instead of turning two, maybe three fingers. Now power windows I get, and quite honestly I would add them to my list (along with AC) of things I couldn't live without, but having power windows is a distinct advantage, especially when you want to control windows other than your own while driving. Push button start is for people who want to feel like Vin Diesel every time they start their Civic The irony is that when push button start first started being offered it was a novelty. Now every new car has it.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:26 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,572,797 times
Reverse camera.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:28 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,237,826 times
Aux jack or bluetooth iphone integration so I can jam to Songza, Apple Music, Pandora, or my own stuff stored on the phone.

Carrying around CD's is a pain & listening to the radio is just torture. I remember when radio used to be good in the 80's & 90's. You'd hear 45-50 minutes of music on average & maybe 10-15 min of commercials per hour. Since radio is not as popular nowadays they need more advertising revenue. Now you hear about 25 minutes of music per hour and 35 minutes of commercials. Forget even listening in the AM, every station has some morning show where you get to listen to someone blab for 25 minutes, then you have 25 minutes of commercials and then maybe 2 or 3 songs the whole hour.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:29 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,975,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Reverse camera.
Having never driven a car that had one, how much more can you really see than you normally would via all three mirrors?

Old 09-30-2015, 02:37 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,969,651 times
My 1939 Ford coupe had "push button start".
If I could have any car I wanted, it would be a rebuilt/restored 1954 Hudson convertible with "Twin H Power" (the straight 8 would be OK, too), 3 speed manual tranny with overdrive, and good 4 point seat belts/shoulder harnesses.
Of course, it would have to be converted to 12 volts for modern stereo, but that is easy.
There really isn't much a modern vehicle has that I consider truly necessary. Maybe that is why everything in my "stable" is 2006 or older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive