Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 02:46 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,737,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
I've driven a few cars with this and cannot, for the life of me, understand the allure. Is it really that hard to insert a key and turn it? I mean seriously, you're pushing with one finger instead of turning two, maybe three fingers. Now power windows I get, and quite honestly I would add them to my list (along with AC) of things I couldn't live without, but having power windows is a distinct advantage, especially when you want to control windows other than your own while driving. Push button start is for people who want to feel like Vin Diesel every time they start their Civic The irony is that when push button start first started being offered it was a novelty. Now every new car has it.
It's not the push button action, it's the fact you don't have to take your key fob out of your pocket. To some it's no biggie to others (like me) it's a huge deal since I unlock/enter/exit/lock my car at least two times a day if not more.

Over time you get used to just walking up to your car and opening it without having to reach into your pocket.

Push button is just an extension of the keyless entry. It's the keyless entry that is the big turn on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 03:01 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,425,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post

Waiting for obligatory posts about how the they had to walk 3 miles uphill both ways in the snow when they were young and that this generation is lazy, etc...
Hah. I would say that but I'm still relatively young.

The only modern things I like about cars is that they're able to squeeze out more power per liter than ever before. I do still like regular engines though, not hybrid/electric

Old 09-30-2015, 03:11 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,224,622 times
I could care less about keyless entry. I don't like stuff in my pockets when I drive so that doesn't solve anything for me.

The only thing I must have is a/c that's about all.

Now if they could have a suction device for men hands free.lol

Old 09-30-2015, 03:28 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,932,406 times
Navigation. I'm in a different part of Los Angeles every day either finding the house I'm appraising or the comps I'm shooting. It's so convenient to have all the neighboring streets on the Nav map so I don't have to balance a Thomas Guide on my lap like I did for so many years.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:31 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
these days about the only thing i wont live without is a good HVAC system. otherwise as long as the car runs and drives, and i can heat and cool the interior as needed, i am happy. the stereo is nice to have, but again not needed.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:50 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,393,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
For me, it's all about keyless entry and push button start.

I'm at the point now where I would NEVER buy another car without these features. Love it that I can leave my fob in my pocket at all times and simply walk up to my car and reach for the handle and car unlocks itself.

Waiting for obligatory posts about how the they had to walk 3 miles uphill both ways in the snow when they were young and that this generation is lazy, etc...

Yeah, I'm lazy and like convenience. Just how it is
I always thought it was 3 miles but I went on Google maps and it was only 1.5 miles. It sure felt like 3 miles uphill.

As far as starting the car, as long as I push the clutch to the floor and turn the key a push button would not make it any easier.

Keep your bluetooth, satellite radio, computer screen, all I need is more than 400 HP and that's enough.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:52 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,784,910 times
Quote:
Having never driven a car that had one, how much more can you really see than you normally would via all three mirrors?
You see everything that is directly behind your back bumper. You cannot see that with your three mirrors. While that may not be a huge spot, it is an important one because you are about to put a couple tons of metal there. There are typically depth sensors included so that you know how close you are to the thing behind you. For the most part I don't watch the cameral that much, but it's invaluable in a crowded parking lot, and when parallel parking in a tight spot. It's also great for when things like kids and dogs go running behind your car. They are at a height where it's sometime difficult to see them, and having a sensor beep when you don't expect it is a fast jolt to your reflexes. Something like 75% of accidents that occur when people are backing up involve children, which is why this is quickly becoming mandatory. A backup camera can easily show that bike lying behind your car. So most of the time your mirrors are sufficient, but sometimes this makes what might have been an accident or a close call less close.

Also - a backup camera came in really came in handy when I was out hiking and had to back up a narrow, winding mountain 'road' that dipped, curved sharply and had a sheer dropoff on one side. Instead of being nerve-wracking, it wasn't even a thing. But I wouldn't have one just for that.

Personally I would hate to give up rain sensing windshield wipers. In an area of near constant rain/drizzle/highway spray/etc - it's so nice to have the wipers adjust themselves to the exact right speed in every instance. I didn't really care about them that much when I lived elsewhere. And while I don't really use the GPS turn-by-turn directions that much, it'd be hard to give up having an instant map whenever I want it.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:07 PM

19,039 posts, read 27,614,590 times
Keyless start is OK.
I won't do again without Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive.
And rear view camera.
Wish I had them cameras mounted in the side mirros, instead of actual mirrors. And have ability to take picture of car behind you with the RVC.
Power driver seat with 12 positions. I am tall, it is very nice to be able to fine tune seating.
AWD. It's a must whichever way I look at it. Yes, I do know how to drive in snow, I grew in old cold country. AWD is AWD.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:14 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times
Some at least some items mentions are not really modern...

Air Conditioning and All Wheel Drive have been available for 50+ years...

Had a Jeep Wagoner with Quadratrac and Air Conditioning and Leather back almost 50 years ago...

Old 09-30-2015, 04:24 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,659,477 times
AWD, ABS and 4-wheel disc brakes, Traction Control, keyless entry and push-button start, Navigation, power-adjustable seats, tilt and telescoping steering wheel, LED lights, and, if the vehicle has one, a power rear hatch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive