Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 09:09 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
All I really NEED is a good A/C system, power windows/locks, and a good stereo system. I also like seats with a lot of adjustment, lumbar, side bolsters, etc. Can make it fit me like a glove.

We have keyless entry on two of our cars... I couldn't care less. I'm always reaching into my pocket to press the keyfob button anyway.

One newer feature that I absolutely love (I live in TX) are ventilated seats with fans that suck the heat out of them. Heated seats have been around forever but where I live, not much use for them. Ventilated seats though, get used all the time. Right now we don't have any cars with that feature, but any new car we buy will have it.
Be careful how the ventilated seats work. Some just blow cold air while others actually blow A/C through the seats. The latter is obviously much much better. Cold air doesn't do much except keep bottom or legs from sweating but not much in cooling department.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 09:14 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
I'll let ya know just as soon as I drive a vehicle made within the last decade (that isn't a bare-bones rental)... you might have to wait another decade though, I rather like not having a car payment.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:00 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
It depends upon the vehicle, but for a larger SUV, I really like a backup camera because it allows for easier parking in close quarters and allows me to make sure that nothing enters the path of the vehicle as it is reversing. Modern heating/air conditioning systems, with multiple location adjustments for at least both front seat passengers is also a key feature that I cannot live without, as invariably I tend to like much colder air than the majority of people. For convenience features, Bluetooth for the phone and for streaming music is also an important feature, as is satellite radio and navigation with traffic updates. Whenever I listen to terrestrial radio, such as in a rental car in which the trial period has expired and in which I have not set up my iPod/phone/pad to stream, I am reminded why I no longer like the majority of commercial radio stations.

Keyless entry and ignition are fine, but are not absolute musts to have for me, especially the keyless ignition, if only to keep track of the fob. Many times I have had the fob in a jacket pocket, only to have left it in the office when going to the garage to get into the car because of the bulk of some of the fobs. It's very easy not to lock yourself out of the car when you just exit the vehicle, but it's also easy not to have a means to get into the car if the fob falls out of pants pockets, since I am not going to walk around with one clipped to my belt loop, and sitting on one can produce interesting results if you are within the range of the signal. It's not all keyless fobs that have been annoying, but I have had a couple that were the size of a small phone that were not easily clipped to a keyring.

The other thing that I like with modern vehicles is the advanced safety features, such as brake assist, seatbelt pretensioners, multiple airbags, advanced braking systems, and newer collision avoidance systems. Some are very helpful when driving in urban environments, I find, and are nice to have, especially for a daily driver.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-30-2015, 10:10 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,755,177 times
I could not live without my satellite radio, great sound system, moonroof, cupholders, and keyless entry. Even though my navigation is outdated I do like to have one (gives me a point of reference when needed).

On the flip side there are so many more options I could live without.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:11 AM

I wouldn't mind navigation but not a deal killer. Navigation on smartphone is so much quicker anyways.

Have never used satellite radio so can't comment but I honestly don't listen to music anymore. I only listen to local sports talk radio.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:29 AM

899 posts, read 1,014,821 times
None of them. I don't need A/C, I don't need power windows, power steering, power brakes, nav system, radio, backup camera, heated seats, or even a tachometer.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dburger View Post
None of them. I don't need A/C, I don't need power windows, power steering, power brakes, nav system, radio, backup camera, heated seats, or even a tachometer.
It only took 16 posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
For me, it's all about keyless entry and push button start.

I'm at the point now where I would NEVER buy another car without these features. Love it that I can leave my fob in my pocket at all times and simply walk up to my car and reach for the handle and car unlocks itself.

Waiting for obligatory posts about how the they had to walk 3 miles uphill both ways in the snow when they were young and that this generation is lazy, etc...

Yeah, I'm lazy and like convenience. Just how it is

Old 09-30-2015, 10:34 AM

899 posts, read 1,014,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
It only took 16 posts
I never said I think this generation is lazy - 2 years ago during winter (when ATL got crippled), they delayed school 2 hours for 0.2 inches of snow. I didn't care and felt good for the kids in our neighborhood.

I just don't need much of any convenience items in a car. If the car is manual, a syncromesh transmission would be nice, but it's not a requirement.

Got a 1971 Ford Maverick 2 door with 204,000 miles, no air conditioning at all from the factory, manual steering and brakes, no tachometer, no cigarette lighter even. Awesome machine.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dburger View Post
I never said I think this generation is lazy - 2 years ago during winter (when ATL got crippled), they delayed school 2 hours for 0.2 inches of snow. I didn't care and felt good for the kids in our neighborhood.

I just don't need much of any convenience items in a car. If the car is manual, a syncromesh transmission would be nice, but it's not a requirement.

Got a 1971 Ford Maverick 2 door with 204,000 miles, no air conditioning at all from the factory, manual steering and brakes, no tachometer, no cigarette lighter even. Awesome machine.
Duly noted. Good day

Old 09-30-2015, 10:39 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
back up camera, AC (live in south Louisiana), cruise control, fog lights. I can easily live without keyless entry, push button start, power windows, power door locks, remote trunk release, sat/nav, satellite radio, CD player, Bluetooth, heated/cooled seats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive