Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 01:47 PM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 1 day ago)

16,085 posts, read 21,209,403 times

Advertisements

Please consider that sometimes the only nearby parking space available is next to someone who is already on or over the line, leaving you no choice but to also squeeze in too close when parking. Just because it looks like someone doesn't know how to park between the lines doesn't always mean it's so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 02:08 PM

759 posts, read 639,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Please consider that sometimes the only nearby parking space available is next to someone who is already on or over the line, leaving you no choice but to also squeeze in too close when parking. Just because it looks like someone doesn't know how to park between the lines doesn't always mean it's so.
... and if I come across a situation like that.. I'm not parking there.

Whatever it is I'd miss out on doing (work, play, whatever) isn't nearly as important as my $40k car not getting door jacked by some clown that doesn't know how to park... because we all know that is EXACTLY what would happen should I try to sqeeze my car into that spot next to his beat up dinged up 1995 Toyota.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:27 PM

68,351 posts, read 54,507,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Been there, just the other day. If you are of a criminal bent, you can maliciously damage her car... but that will get you nothing except maybe a bill or a temporary cell.
I once parked a good distance away from a store I was going to, at least 30 yards from any other car, when I returned to my car there was one other car parked close to me and it was obvious they'd opened their door and dinged mine. The car I was driving had valve stem caps that also had a valve core removal tool on the unthreaded end, they came in handy.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:56 PM

13,288 posts, read 8,488,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Do you seriously think that this person should have had to climb through the TRUNK to get into the car? That's ridiculous!

Its a viable option. Sorry that you cannot comprehend that alternative methods are available in certain scenarios requiring entry or exit from a car.

Whats ridiculous is not using the brain to think and then apply those ideas.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:58 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,372,471 times
I was pulling out of a Dunkin Donuts and there is an in and an out lane. There was a car coming and there was another woman also coming in the out lane. She stopped in front of me (I was unable to make the right turn because she was there). I looked at her. She looked at me. I beeped the horn. She held her hands up with some stupid idiotic grin. I told her to back up. She just shrugged her shoulders as if to say "too bad). I finally squeezed in and said "You stupid douche bag. o home and clean the house and raise your kids like you are supposed to". The smile was wiped away. Too bad I had my 7 year old son in the car or I would have used the "C" word.

Old 05-16-2016, 05:59 PM

21,921 posts, read 25,242,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I was pulling out of a Dunkin Donuts and there is an in and an out lane. There was a car coming and there was another woman also coming in the out lane. She stopped in front of me (I was unable to make the right turn because she was there). I looked at her. She looked at me. I beeped the horn. She held her hands up with some stupid idiotic grin. I told her to back up. She just shrugged her shoulders as if to say "too bad). I finally squeezed in and said "You stupid douche bag. o home and clean the house and raise your kids like you are supposed to". The smile was wiped away. Too bad I had my 7 year old son in the car or I would have used the "C" word.
I'd just eat my donut and drink my coffee. The shopping center where I do my grocery shopping is similar. There's two exit lanes (right and left turn) and then one entrance lane. If I'm going home, which I usually am, I'm making a left. It's not particularly narrow but I'll be stopped there waiting for traffic to clear and pretty frequently someone will get stuck because they took the turn to wide. Rarely they get stuck and then the car behind them nearly runs into them so they can't back up. Meanwhile I can't back up because there's someone behind me. Of course one of those will be a large SUV so then I can't really see and have to very carefully nose out or we'll all just sit there forever. It's not a hard turn. I can make it at 20 mph in an extended cab truck with an eight-foot bed while drinking a cup of coffee. I really think we need to require people to pass a driving test every 10 years. Forget parallel parking. If you can't park in between the lines in a parking lot, turn right into a shopping center, or navigate through a parking garage ramp without cutting corners you shouldn't be driving.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:32 PM

151 posts, read 194,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I highly doubt anyone in their right mind would intentionally park on or over the line because the other car is parked incorrectly. Not only are you risking damage being done to your car, but you’re risking being confronted by an angry nutcase.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:48 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,883,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Garcia View Post
I highly doubt anyone in their right mind would intentionally park on or over the line because the other car is parked incorrectly. Not only are you risking damage being done to your car, but you’re risking being confronted by an angry nutcase.
I see it all the time with diagonal parking. One car being off, causes others to do similarly in order to maintain enough space to open their own door.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:53 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,135,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I would have called the police on you. You do not have the right to detain anyone, even if you feel its justified.

And wasting 50 minutes of your day on that woman? You really had nothing better to do?
The first 25 min were out of my control. And truthfully, the only things I had to do that afternoon was unload/put away the groceries and take a nap. So I missed out on the nap. Sometimes teaching a lesson is important.

It wasn't even an issue of getting into my car. She was parked at such an angle as to make it impossible for me to back out had I been able to get into my car. The reason she crawled into her car from the back was because she was unable to get into her passenger side. There was not even 1' of space.

I would have been happy to have the police called, but in NYC, they are not going to come for that. As for detaining someone? She detained me in the way she blocked in my car.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:56 AM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 1 day ago)

16,085 posts, read 21,209,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Garcia View Post
Try parking as a guest at a crowded university on days with lots of parents, or in the lot of a medical complex shared by the hospital and your only other choice is to park in the back forty and pray for one of those little courtesy carts to come along and save you from a 15 minute hike to wherever it is you need to be. I'll take my chances and park a little close and squeeze myself out the drivers side. Guess it's a good thing I don't see my car as a status symbol of some sort, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive