Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 04:54 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,843,493 times

Advertisements

i always park between the lines, even when the next car didn't. That mean that sometimes they can't get in the car. That's their own fault. Usually, though, I'm still in the car when they com out. They usually notice that they are over the lines. I pull out halfway to let them get in their car, and then park exactly the same way. Then they have to carefully back out to avoid hitting me. I don't do this with my new van, but I did with the old already dinged all over van. I always had the hope that they would learn not to do it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 06:26 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,116,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
I see it all the time with diagonal parking. One car being off, causes others to do similarly in order to maintain enough space to open their own door.
Same here. I see that all the time. Sometimes I have to remind my irate husband of the possibility that the "offending" car might have simply been avoiding another poor parker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeC View Post
... and if I come across a situation like that.. I'm not parking there.

Whatever it is I'd miss out on doing (work, play, whatever) isn't nearly as important as my $40k car not getting door jacked by some clown that doesn't know how to park... because we all know that is EXACTLY what would happen should I try to sqeeze my car into that spot next to his beat up dinged up 1995 Toyota.
Couldn't disagree more. That is a perspective I cannot fathom. I would never miss out on life because of a replaceable inanimate object that can take a few dings and still function perfectly fine.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:32 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,675,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Its a viable option. Sorry that you cannot comprehend that alternative methods are available in certain scenarios requiring entry or exit from a car.

Whats ridiculous is not using the brain to think and then apply those ideas.
I can absolutely comprehend that there are alternative methods of entering or exiting a car. The wisdom, that you are lacking, is when it is appropriate to use them. Climbing in through the trunk of a car just because another car is parked too close to your door is ridiculous. Add on the fact that not all cars, actually not even most cars, have access through the trunk into the interior of the vehicle and it becomes even more ridiculous of a suggestion.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:44 AM

759 posts, read 638,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post

Couldn't disagree more. That is a perspective I cannot fathom. I would never miss out on life because of a replaceable inanimate object that can take a few dings and still function perfectly fine.

So if that were your new car and you came out to the parking lot and saw that you could just say "ah, it's no big deal. I'm sure whoever did it is sorry. It can take a few more dings and still function perfectly fine. I still have another 5 panels and a hood that are ok."

I guess that's the difference between you and me... LOL It's not about the car still functioning. Of course it can still function. It about avoiding some careless POS doing preventable damage to something I spent $40,000 on.

Big or small... doesn't matter. It still is ugly... and in every case... is caused by SOMEONE ELSE.

So I do what I can to avoid putting myself in the position of being at the mercy of the door jacker... which includes squeezing my car into cramped compact parking spaces.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:44 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,041,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
It wasn't even an issue of getting into my car. She was parked at such an angle as to make it impossible for me to back out had I been able to get into my car. The reason she crawled into her car from the back was because she was unable to get into her passenger side. There was not even 1' of space.
No, she had to go in through the back because you were physically keeping her from opening her driver's side door. If you wouldn't have needed to get revenge and keep her from leaving, then you would have had plenty of space to get into your vehicle and back out.

Yes it sucks that the women did an awful job parking, but I don't get the whole road rage mentality of needing to get even with another driver. There are plenty of people who wouldn't just wait you out for 25 minutes, and would cause you physical harm for trying to keep them from leaving. Is teaching someone a lesson really worth more to you then your safety?

Old 05-17-2016, 09:58 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,116,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeC View Post

So if that were your new car and you came out to the parking lot and saw that you could just say "ah, it's no big deal. I'm sure whoever did it is sorry. It can take a few more dings and still function perfectly fine. I still have another 5 panels and a hood that are ok."

I guess that's the difference between you and me... LOL It's not about the car still functioning. Of course it can still function. It about avoiding some careless POS doing preventable damage to something I spent $40,000 on.

Big or small... doesn't matter. It still is ugly... and in every case... is caused by SOMEONE ELSE.

So I do what I can to avoid putting myself in the position of being at the mercy of the door jacker... which includes squeezing my car into cramped compact parking spaces.
Well, since the topic we're discussing is pulling into tight spaces, I don't think it's likely the neighboring driver could have the force or velocity when opening their door to cause the damage in your first example. If you're using a public parking lot, there's not a lot you can do to prevent someone slamming their door into yours, you need space to cause that level of damage.

So we're taking about the dings and nicks from car doors hitting yours from a close distance, or pressing against yours. More like your second example. And yeah, no possible way I'd let the possibility of dings or scratches prevent me from going to work or doing anything else in the world planning to do.

How would you even explain that to your boss? Or a client? "Hey, this Chloe, listen, I'm going to be late today because while there's plenty of parking spaces, they're all a little too snug for comfort. And I really can't face the possibility that my car door might get a scratch, so I'll just be there as soon as a nice big space opens up..."

Old 05-17-2016, 12:18 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,369,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
So I stopped at Starbucks on my way to work like usual, come out and this huge suv is parked so far over the line I literally can't get into my car. I'm skinny with a small frame, I've been able to fit before when this once.

So I go into Starbucks and yell out who owns the suv, you're parked so close to me I can't get into my car. Crickets, say it again and woman in line pipes in that it's her car and she'll move it once she's done getting her drink. She hadn't even ordered yet. I told her that was ridiculous and she needed to move her car. She refused, flat out. It took over 10 mins for her to come move her suv.

Honestly, what a witch this woman was, I was so close to making a scene or threatening to call the cops. Idk how someone can be so self-centered.

Anyone ever deal with this before?
I would have walked up to her and offered to give her my drink. If she refused to move the SUV, I would have given her my drink on the spot. Then slowly walk out to the car. If my car was an older model I would have sacrificed a door into the side of her SUV.

Actually I wouldn't do those things, but it makes for a great clip in a movie script. LOL

Old 05-17-2016, 12:30 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,437,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
No, she had to go in through the back because you were physically keeping her from opening her driver's side door. If you wouldn't have needed to get revenge and keep her from leaving, then you would have had plenty of space to get into your vehicle and back out.

Yes it sucks that the women did an awful job parking, but I don't get the whole road rage mentality of needing to get even with another driver. There are plenty of people who wouldn't just wait you out for 25 minutes, and would cause you physical harm for trying to keep them from leaving. Is teaching someone a lesson really worth more to you then your safety?
You know, I sees this used to encourage excusing bad behavior all the time and the people using it never seem to realize it goes both ways.

The person the awful parker blocked in could also have been a road rager personality and beaten her up rather than simply giving her an object lesson in the consequences of her own actions. SHE is lucky that that wasn't the case.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:35 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,041,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
You know, I sees this used to encourage excusing bad behavior all the time and the people using it never seem to realize it goes both ways.

The person the awful parker blocked in could also have been a road rager personality and beaten her up rather than simply giving her an object lesson in the consequences of her own actions. SHE is lucky that that wasn't the case.
But the person that was blocked in did have a road rager personality... the need to teach other drivers a "lesson". Such a situation can escalate very quickly when trying to get revenge on someone else. I'm not excusing the bad behavior of the parker, but it also doesn't excuse the bad behavior of the other driver.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:39 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,476,635 times
poo on hood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive