Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 07:15 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times

Advertisements

this one wasnt about being pulled over by a cop, but one night when i was working at the grand canyon south rim, i was doing the relief floater position. i pulled up to one of the lodges where an auditor was having an issue. i thought i put the truck in reverse, but i seem to have just missed the gear. i stepped out of the truck, and the next thing i know i am flat on the ground and my truck is rolling away backward down hill.

fortunately it didnt hit anything important, like a guests car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 07:40 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
An older somewhat humorous police encounter in our small town was also educational.

I had a flat tire so I put the spare on. I was too busy or too broke to get the original tire fixed and a couple of months later, the spare went flat a few miles outside of town.

Luckily a policeman came by who knew me (8/12 of them did). He gave me a ride to the service station and we threw the spare and the original tire in his trunk. I noticed a huge metal canister with some hoses running to it in the trunk.
I was impressed and asked him how well the nitrous injector worked. He laughed and told me it was a compressed natural gas tank. To save money they were switching to CNG powered cars. I was still impressed, it sounded amazing. “How fast can you go on that stuff?”

“On a good day, I can get up to 55 eventually. It is terrible”

I told him next time I sped by a cop I would just race away and they would never catch me.

He said I have the most impressive Camaro he had ever seen. I was really puffed up. I said it is pretty fast, but I named six or seven other guys in town with faster cars.

He said it is amazing that I have a car that I think can outrun a radio. Radio waves move at *** miles per hour and it was pretty impressive if I thought I could beat that in my Camaro. I was silent the rest of the way to the station, when he dropped me off he said “Remember son, you cannot outrun a radio.” When I got home, my dad said, "you cannot outrun a radio. Go weed the garden" (weeding was punishment - it took two days or more and was horrible work. That cop did not even know me, how did it get back to dad before I got home?).

Notwithstanding that lesson, I did escape a ticket after tearing past a police car going the opposite direction by racing down a series of dirt roads at high speeds and then turning into a long driveway and turning off my lights. The followed the dust trail, it took them a while to catch up and they never found me. I saw them drive by four times, then they went to the end of the road, turned off their lights and parked, however I could clearly see the glow of his cigarette. There were at least ten homes on that stretch of road and I was kind of tucked in behind a tractor and a tree. Today, they would probably start going to each home, but back then they did not bother people just to catch a speeder. After a while he gave up and left. Luckily the farmer was either not home or decided he didn’t need to call the police about a kid in a car sitting in his driveway for half an hour or more with the headlights off. Apparently whomever the policeman was he either did not recognize my car or was too embarrassed that he could not find me to report it. It was hard to get away with anything in that town. Everyone knew my dad. Sometimes I would think I got away with something and then sneak back home to find my dad and/or a policeman waiting in our driveway. Small towns are tough and Dad was best friends with the police chief who later became the mayor.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:24 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
[quote=kell490;45310500]Wife met a past BF 20 years ago he was a state police officer pulled her over to ask her on a date LOL she dated him a few times until she said she saw him wearing shorts until then he always wore long pants. She described his legs to look like stick legs she said was a turn off so that ended it LOL back in her early 20's.

One of the guys John worked with met his wife on a traffic stop. They're still married some 30 years later. John was lucky because he didn't have to put any effort into meeting me. I just knocked on his door and married him 9 months after I met him. He was wearing white shorts and no shirt when I saw him for the first time

OMG I just realized how this must sound to someone that doesn't know the circumstances

Old 09-02-2016, 06:19 PM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times
I got two quick ones.

First one, I was a teenager and I drove with some friends of mine to a neighborhood that was still under construction to smoke some weed. While we're smoking a cop pulls up behind us. I shove the bowl we were smoking under the seat and one of my friends freaks out, opens his door and takes off in to the woods. The cop had us all get out of the car and he searched it for drugs because it "smelled like a skunk died in there". He looked under the seat where I hid the bowl, flashed his flashlight under there, paused for a moment, then moved on to check the other front seat. He had to have seen it but he didn't say a word about it. After he finished checking the rest of the car he said "you're friend must have taken all the fun stuff with him when he took off. You guys get out of here and don't come back, not even for your friend". Then he drove away. We finished the bowl as we drove out of the neighborhood.

Other one is one time when I was at a spot that is known for teenagers parking there and fooling around. I and the girl I was with were not exactly paying attention to our surroundings at the time so we were both surprised to hear a cop knocking on her window with a flashlight. We scramble to make ourselves decent and then while the cop is asking her for her ID and registration I suddenly have to take a leak really badly. The cop doesn't seem to be in any hurry and eventually I just have to go so I rush out of the car and relieve myself at the nearest tree. Cop asks the girl I was with what I thought I was doing. She said looks like he's peeing. He says "yeah I like to take a good whizz after having sex too." As I get back in the car he says "well you two are apparently done so why don't you get the hell out of here?".

Old 09-04-2016, 06:08 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,258,901 times
Got pulled over and they asked me what do you think of working with an homosexual. I was 25 at the time. This was in the 80's. Shake my head now.

Old 09-07-2016, 12:33 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
During my more wild teenage high school years, a group of us would take turns siphoning gas, to save us some gas money.

One nite, I was pulled over, it was my nite to siphon gas, and I had gas on my breath! Really wonder what have happened if I had been subjected to the breath test for alcohol!

"Oh, you teenagers today, you'll try anything to get a high!"

Old 09-07-2016, 10:17 AM

1,658 posts, read 2,693,392 times
When I was 16 three of us decided to spend a week living out of our car at the beach. It started out badly as the park ranger cited us for speeding in the parking lot (something like 20 mph in a 5 mph zone). Our bad mojo continued when we were written up for having a loud muffler that same afternoon. We were able to reconnect the pipe to the muffler, and borrowed a hanger to keep it in place.

That evening we were having a great time drinking, playing poker and listening to music when the rangers informed us that we were personas non grata effective immediately. It seems that a group of Girl Scouts who were also at the beach complained about our loud music and foul language. WTF?

We found another beach and crashed there for the night. And the hits just kept on coming. A few days later we were arrested. Will save that story for another thread.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:32 AM

621 posts, read 1,614,589 times
Years ago, I was driving my 2000 TA one Saturday morning, out in a rural part of the county. 4 lane divided highway, I was first at the light. Light turned green, I dropped the hammer, rowing thru the 6 speed, red line thru the first 3 gears... I look down, going well over 100. I think, this is stupid, start slowing down. At the same time, I notice an unmarked car going the other direction.. I slow down more. I notice he pulls a U-turn, and gets behind me. As he is turning his lights on, I pull over. Well crap... up to this point in my life (30 years old), no tickets, no accidents, nothing. I pull over, and roll the window down.
Good morning officer.
Good morning. How is it going this morning?
Well, not great.. I have been better.
(He laughs) Well, do you know why I pulled you over?
Yes sir. I have my head up my $^^.
(He looks at me and laughs) takes my license and insurance, goes to his car. Comes back about 5 minutes later
Mr. Roder, is it?
Yes sir.
Says by your license you are 30?
Yes sir.
And you have never had a ticket?
Yes sir.
Driving the way you do, I would say that's pretty amazing, would you agree?
Yes sir..(me stifling a laugh)
I clocked you at 97 mph.. I could take you with me if I wanted...how about you just slow down all of today, and most of tomorrow?
That sounds great sir!!!
Thinking to myself, hell, I was going a lot faster before you clocked me! lol...

I guess because I didn't run, didn't give some lame excuse, he was cool, and I got a freebie.

3 years later, after I sold the car, I got a ticket in my F150 for doing 37 in a 30 in downtown Tampa... I was like come on! Ive gone a lot faster than this before!!!

Old 09-09-2016, 06:18 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
I was driving home from a day shooting at the gun range. I was driving fast as usual and was pulled over. P.O. walks up to the car and asks me for my license,reg,etc. I hand it to him and then advise him I have a firearm in the vehicle. He was startled and yelled at me "Well what are you trying to tell me?" I calmly responded I was trained to advise a LEO of any firearms in the vehicle at first possible contact when pulled over. He calmed down and then appeared a bit embarrassed at losing his cool. Returned my paperwork, said something to the effect of drive within the posted speed and got back into his car and drove off.

Old 09-18-2016, 06:07 PM

35,001 posts, read 16,964,237 times
One time I was leaving the residential area in which I live. The light was yellow and initially I sped up. I saw a cop car on the state road and aborted my attempt to race the light. The officer swung around behind me, and asked for my license and registration. I asked him what I had done and he said "you ran a red light." I pointed out that I still hadn't advanced through the light or made my turn. He said "well, you were about to" and issued me a ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive