Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2016, 11:12 AM

2,366 posts, read 2,640,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Yes i do have a reason; if i have to obey the speed limit sign then so does everyone else
Obeying the speed limit is a choice.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:14 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,166,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Because that's the law in the majority of states. Give way, without regard to the speeds being traveled. If only this topic had been covered before, that would help in this discussion so much.
There are generally more sides to a story than are usually presented. Yes, someone cruising in the left lane is a problem. But even more of a problem is those who are too self-important and impatient to even let your complete your pass before they are on your tail.

The problem with this scenario is that many times, when someone is in the left lane doing 70 in a 65, they actually are passing a series or clump of cars. The jackwagons that come up behind them at 105 seem to think that everyone should clear a path for them immediately - with no hesitation.

If I am going 70, 75, or even 80 while passing other traffic, you just have to WAIT until I have completed my passes.
  • NO, I am not going to speed up to 120 to get it over quicker.
  • NO, I am not going to try to squeeze back into right lane traffic in order to get out of your way quicker.
  • NO, you riding my bumper and flashing your lights like an idiot is not going to make me move any faster. In fact, all these super aggressive moves are likely to make me slow before I speed up.

Here is the way it should be done kids...
  • If I am driving along, most-likely in the right and decide to pass someone ahead of me in the right lane, I will speed up and do so. If your happy azz comes along while I am in the process of doing so, you just have to wait until my pass is completed.
  • If I am in the left lane because the right is chopped up - or even if I am having a brain fart and "forgot" to move back to the right, if you flash your lights from a half mile or quarter mile, or even 500 ft. back to let me know you are coming fast, I will be glad to ease back into the rough lane to let you by, then get back into the smooth lane.
  • If I am in the left lane for some seeming extraneous reason, such as preparing to turn off to the left and you come flying up on my bumper and then start flashing your lights impatiently 5 feet behind me, you might as well settle in, it's going to be a long time before I do you any favors.
  • Like most things in life, you don't know why the person ahead is doing what they are doing, if you want cooperation from them, you can be polite and patient, and you will most likely get what you want. OR, you can be a jerk and ratchet up the "jerkiness" of all involved.

Note: Throughout this post, "you" and "your" are meant collectively.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 08-29-2016 at 12:15 PM..

Old 08-29-2016, 11:18 AM

531 posts, read 384,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Then you weren't T-boned. Why does this even need explaining.
Jesus Christ, do you people just like arguing just to argue? FIne, I was hit on the drivers side of my car and the semi was pushing me down the high way in a t-bone position.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:24 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise of virtue View Post
Jesus Christ, do you people just like arguing just to argue? FIne, I was hit on the drivers side of my car and the semi was pushing me down the high way in a t-bone position.
You sold your experience as being the same as in the video, but now the truth comes out. It was not the same and is irrelevant to this discussion. If you don't like the arguing, just move right and we'll move on.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee2 View Post
But to dismiss both the message of the video, which is the dangers of driving in the left lane except to pass, and to act like traffic accidents are no big deal, even saying you hope you get hit by a semi truck, shows that you don't take road safety seriously- or the safety of those around you. I certainly hope the truck driver who hit you was alright too, and no one else was involved. Even if everyone was fine, it was a very lucky accident to have, and anyone but the world's biggest bozo would realize that. How you've spoken about driving and accidents shows not just a distinct lack of respect for your fellow drivers, but a dangerously stunted and dismissive attitude about road safety in general.

And that is exactly why they are ticketing drivers in the left lane now. Because often dismissing a basic road etiquette rule reveals a distinct lack of adequate driving skills. I have to say I'm glad they have realized this.
Me not moving out of the way of impatient people has nothing to do with my attitude to road safety. Tell the people who ride the bumpers of the car in front of them, so they can get where ever they are going 3 mins faster, to think about the safety of there fellow drives. And I never said I hoped to get hit by a semi, you're the one that started talking about wanting someone to be hit by a semi.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
You sold your experience as being the same as in the video, but now the truth comes out. It was not the same and is irrelevant to this discussion. If you don't like the arguing, just move right and we'll move on.
Actually, I did no such thing. I made a comment about driving in the left lane. Another poster bought up the semi thing, which I responded to. I said nothing of the video.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:31 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
No im saying if he wants to go around then more power to him, but im not moving. Especially if my turn is coming up.
If you have left exit coming up shortly that is one of the reasons to be in the left lane and I wouldn't expect you to mover over. Other reasons include very congested traffic and you are keeping up with the cars in front of you, you have moved over to make room for someone merging from the right and of course if you are passing someone.

I will reiterate, driving along unnecessarily for miles and miles in the left lane is not a safe driving practice under any condition.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:34 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
why?

if you are 80 in a 60 and somebody wants to do 105 in a 60, why should you move. serious, why should people be allowed unlimited speed in the left lane. I could understand 55 in a 60 but if you are allready speeding or if the car ahead of you is slowing you , why should you have to move because somebody behind you want to go faster. why?
Ok genius,
let's go ahead and block the car that is trying to get a person to the hospital because you don't want people to speed on the highway

Old 08-29-2016, 11:36 AM

231 posts, read 226,891 times
Quote:
Me not moving out of the way of impatient people has nothing to do with my attitude to road safety. Tell the people who ride the bumpers of the car in front of them, so they can get where ever they are going 3 mins faster, to think about the safety of there fellow drives. And I never said I hoped to get hit by a semi, you're the one that started talking about wanting someone to be hit by a semi.

Actually it does, and if you had actually watched the video which was the point of this thread instead of pointlessly spewing your thoughts on here, you would realize that.

Congratulations on being a joke on every single level. NPR Pulled a Brilliant April Fools' Prank On People Who Don't Read

Old 08-29-2016, 11:37 AM

231 posts, read 226,891 times
Quote:
Actually, I did no such thing. I made a comment about driving in the left lane. Another poster bought up the semi thing, which I responded to. I said nothing of the video.

No, i said what will happen to you is what happened to the car in the video. You said it already had happened to you.

It now is clear that you did not even watch the video in question. I guess you just enjoy having people think what an imbecile you are- makes sense why you enjoy going slow in the left lane now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive