Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 11:24 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,319,577 times

Advertisements

I know how selfish this sounds, and I don't care, but frankly especially when I'm in the city I hate people turning at all. I wish they would just GO STRAIGHT for more than 3-billionths of a mile so I don't have to keep stopping 3927 times as well as getting caught by a stop light which had been green prior to their turning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 11:36 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise of virtue View Post
Yeah, people who swing out like that are just as bad as tailgaters.
May be they are swingers.

Old 08-31-2016, 11:48 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,239,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Lack of brains and driving ability.

That is just what it is. So many people are on the roads today with a cell phone in one hand, a coffee in the other and a head full of entitlement like they are the only ones who matter.
They drive like they are wearing blinders and all that matters is what is directly in front of them.

I do take wide turns when I'm driving my truck and especially if the boat is in tow but I give the tailgaters plenty of notice by slowing down with my indicator on telling them where I'm going.

What bothers me more than people who take wide turns when they don't need to are people who when they take that turn and stop with the back end of their car still in the road. It is like they stop to question their GPS if it was the proper turn to take or they are looking for a parking spot.

Old 08-31-2016, 12:05 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,105,402 times
I always feel bad for the drivers of tractor-trailers who are turning because it seems like no one ever anticipates that they NEED the extra room & traffic just crowds around them.

Then they get stuck up on a curb & EVERYBODY waits while they have to take up 6 lanes of traffic doing a 5-point turn to get free.

Old 08-31-2016, 12:17 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
It seems like the majority of cars I see doing this are small cars like Honda Civic, Hyundai Accent, Ford Fiesta, etc...

People who do the stop and turn also drive me crazy. Driving along and they want to turn on either a green light with no pedestrians or turn into a street without a signal and they come to a near complete stop to turn.

Old 08-31-2016, 01:11 PM

1,347 posts, read 945,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
I've been seeing people swing wide to make left hand turns on 2 way streets. I don't get it.
This. I actually see this more often than people swinging out to make right turns, it drives me nuts. I too have been nearly side-swiped on my drivers side on numerous occasions by drivers who apparently cannot keep their vehicle contained in the left-turn lane while making the turn. And yes, it is often sedans. I've actually honked a couple times because I mistakenly assumed that they were changing their mind and trying to get back into my lane.

Old 08-31-2016, 01:56 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,807,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
People who do the stop and turn also drive me crazy. Driving along and they want to turn on either a green light with no pedestrians or turn into a street without a signal and they come to a near complete stop to turn.
I love the ones who will stop, then while they're starting to turn they'll put on their signal. By that point it's useless. Most people apparently don't understand what turn signals are for at all.

Old 08-31-2016, 02:17 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,640,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I know how selfish this sounds, and I don't care, but frankly especially when I'm in the city I hate people turning at all. I wish they would just GO STRAIGHT for more than 3-billionths of a mile so I don't have to keep stopping 3927 times as well as getting caught by a stop light which had been green prior to their turning.
Don't drive in Manhattan.

Old 08-31-2016, 02:26 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Most people I see do the opposite, rather than pulling to the lane they are turning into, they try to take a shortcut on an angle. Equally dangerous, especially when there are people on the cross street waiting to turn left. I think drivers ed and driver testing should include demonstrating that you know how to make a turn properly without unnecessarily swinging out and without trying to shortcut on an angle. I also strongly believe there should be a driving test every time you renew, but it is impractical both because the States cannot afford the testing and because we would have very few licensed drivers left.

Old 08-31-2016, 03:01 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclasser View Post
I've nearly been sideswiped on several occasions by people doing this. They're not even making U-turns, just regular turns onto a street. No need for drastic maneuvers when doing such a simple driving task.
Wow, I was just cursing somebody out for that yesterday.

The other things is when they come to almost a complete stop to make a turn. Why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive