Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 08:15 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,245,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Would you own a nice, expensive car even if you did not have to drive very much? For instance your commute to work was only 4 miles each way and you took a few road trips during the year but not much else. Given depreciation, cost per mile in this situation is going to be very high.
Whether I drive a lot or not is not a factor for me, I like having nice cars. I don't drive my Porsche too often, but it's still worth having it to me. I have another car for a daily driver, it's a nice car as well. I probably drive about 8-9k miles a year, with 6-7k being on the daily driver, and only 2-3 being on the Porsche.

Depreciation is an issue on my daily driver (but I don't really care because I enjoy the car) but my Porsche has actually increased in value since I bought it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 08:42 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,738,759 times
I got three cars right now. One sits in the garage year round an 88' Corvette I drive a few times a month when it's nice out. My Second car was a former daily driver a 2002 BMW 3 series convertible that I love driving but my passion for it has wained the past 18 months. It's been under a cover since November. My daily driver is my New Mercedes. I average about 1000 miles a month.

I used to live 1.25 miles for work. I never walked and I always had a nice car and a "work" car. Now I am 6.5 miles away.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:59 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,605,372 times
I wouldn't buy a car and not drive it. I live 3-4 miles from work and have a 10k mile a year lease and I'm annualizing roughly 9k miles and change. I don't have room for a third and spare car In the household so my daily has to be my fun car as well

Old 01-25-2017, 10:15 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
Quote:
Would you own a nice, expensive car even if you did not have to drive very much? For instance your commute to work was only 4 miles each way and you took a few road trips during the year but not much else. Given depreciation, cost per mile in this situation is going to be very high.
who says a nice car has to be expensive? i bought an 05 grand marquis recently, it was $5500 out the door, and is the most expensive car i have ever owned. before this one the most i ever paid for a car was my 84 tbird where i paid $3500.

these days i only drive a few miles per week anymore, but i am at a point in my life where i want to be comfortable behind the wheel.

Old 01-26-2017, 04:06 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,262,309 times
Quote:
Buy an older one.
You can buy 'em cheap... we've paid from $10.5K to $12.5K for Cadillac, Jaguar and Mercedes.
Buy at that price and it'll depreciate much less than a normal car.
The low miles driven minimizes the likelihood of an expensive repair.

Plus they're really nice for that occasional road trip.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:59 AM

25,584 posts, read 17,310,316 times
Quote:
I don't know about a "nice" car. That definition varies with each of us.
But I would own the car I wanted.
If you are an investor by nature then there are some cars that would fill the need. Or maybe you like sports cars, or 1957 Chevys, or classic Mustangs... well, you get it.

I saw a famous baseball pitcher talk about his Ferrari. He said he hates to spend money and was challenged by the interviewer. How can you say you hate to spend money and drive a Ferrari?
I loved his answer:
Chis, look. I bought the Ferrari used. I drive a few hundred miles a year. That particular model has no depreciation, so aside from insuring it and so forth there will be no expense. It's actually cheaper than buying a new luxury car and selling it after a few years. So rather than spend money I just put mine in a different place.

It's worth some thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive