Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 04:06 AM

20,329 posts, read 19,917,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
When I think New Jersey, I think of Newark. That is the only part where I have spent substantial time. Other parts I saw were just as urban. There must be rural areas I have not seen.
There is a significant amount of rural, wooded and hilly areas in NJ. I didn't realize that until I moved here many years ago.

I'm apprx 45 miles from Manhattan, in a private lake community of about 400 homes yet we sometimes we have a black bear up one of our trees or on our deck. Deer all over the place.

I keep a 4x4 pu on the side for snow duty and camping.

Back to the topic, I would pass. The rust through is enough to keep me away for lot less than asking price. The underneath is probably worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 08:39 AM

712 posts, read 841,514 times
NJ? - RUSTED OUT underneath . . ??

Old 07-06-2017, 11:55 AM

1,663 posts, read 875,671 times
Dodge trucks of that era also got the dreaded "death wobble".

Old 07-06-2017, 01:34 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,421,072 times
And we haven't even heard it run...or not...

Old 07-06-2017, 01:39 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,736,120 times
Looks like it has typical Dodge rust. Yuck. These things just don't last anywhere that even a drop of road salt is used.

Old 07-06-2017, 05:25 PM

44,622 posts, read 61,597,128 times
Bad condition, salvage title for a couple of reasons.

Old 07-06-2017, 06:09 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,847,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Looks like it has typical Dodge rust. Yuck. These things just don't last anywhere that even a drop of road salt is used.
Funny! My 07 has no body rust at all. Driveshaft and original exhaust (95,000 miles) and some spots on the undercarriage are the only places that have a bit of surface rust forming. Nothing eating through. Perhaps living where I do, we don't get much road salt due to very little snow? Yea! That's it.

I'll just ignore that I live on the coast and it will get saturated by a misty and salty air many days during the season while I work out of any of the local marinas. I'll also ignore the fact that I drive out on the beaches a lot as well. Actually, I'm quite impressed by the way it is holding up considering ALL earlier makes (90's and back) would have been quite rusted within half the age that my modern ram is.

Old 07-06-2017, 06:46 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,263,569 times
Quote:
Before you guys bad mouth Dodge trucks too much more, I owned two Dakotas over a 15 year period and have nothing but praise for them. Rust? Not a spot.

Old 07-07-2017, 05:56 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,662,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Nothing wrong with a Dodge RAM of that era. 140,000 miles is going to put off a lot of buyers on any make. I for one wouldn't based on mileage alone. Ford? Chevy? Toyota? Gas? Diesel? 140,000 miles? No frikin way. And how does it run? Perhaps the engine needs work and it runs like crap? If it had fewer miles and I went and looked at it and saw that interior, I'd automatically pass as well. I'd assume the rest of the truck wasn't cared for as well. Likewise rust. Why buy a truck with rusting quarter panels when there are plenty around without any rust? Just a few things to automatically turn potential buyers away before even taking a test drive.

140k miles is a drop in the bucket for most vehicles nowadays. The mileage doesn't scare me in the least bit. The condition of the truck however is a different story.

A diesel isn't even broken in at 140k miles so that isn't really worth mentioning honestly. If the truck were cosmetically in excellent condition and there were no obvious mechanical flaws it might bring $6k. But in the current condition it wouldn't matter if the engine had 20k miles.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:10 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
Quote:
Hate to tell you this, it is now 2017. Many many years have passed since 1982 and things have actually changed (things do that). There are 20 year old Dodge's in Michigan (salt heaven) without a speck of rust. Very few cars rust much at all anymore. There are a few models with problems, usually because of a design defect (1998 Ford Countour SVT comes to mind). Dodge ha s not more rust than any others. Heck even Datsuns no longer rust out in three years (and they are called Nissan now). Anything from this mellinium is very unlikely to have any rust (a few models form some makers are exceptions, but they are easy to avoid).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive