Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 04:18 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterio View Post
I'm only doing so my hid bulbs color shift bro lol
How do you know they are shifting colors and why does it matter?
As for Daytime running lights? here in Canada you cant turn them on or off they are set to be on all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 04:39 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,427,027 times
GM had DRL on their cars in the 90's for the US market so they could make cars for the us and Canada without figuring out how to just do Canadian cars only on the same line.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:51 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,544,998 times
Europe has had them for years now they are called DRL Daytime Running Lights. They tend to run about 90-95% which is kind of annoying most tend to forget to turn them on at night. I'm glad they are standard on newer cars as I see a lot of people driving without their lights during storms, bad weather on general. Even at night.

It seems that the OP runs their lights on only because it's cool.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:53 AM

7,190 posts, read 9,327,431 times
When I drive on a highway, I always put on my headlights.

Why? Because most of the other drivers have them on. That makes it too easy for somebody to not see you coming if your headlights are not also on.

The human eye sees contrast ratios. Also, older drivers may not see all that well. They should have stopped driving, but they don't. Those other drivers may be seeing only the cars with headlights on.

I'll do my best to increase my safety margin. If it prevents just one accident, it's worth it.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:54 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,636,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterio View Post
Does anyone else do this? The main reason why I'm doing it, is because I bought a really quality HID kit with 4300 kelvin Phillip bulbs. They perform phenomenally and are even brighter than many LEDs on the road, but 4300k is a warm white color and it has a slight tint of yellow. I don't like this very much. The stock LED bulbs from luxury vehicles, usually have bulbs in the 5500-6000 kelvin. They are cool white.

My bulbs are Phillips and are supposed to color shift to 4700 kelvins after 100 hour of use. I've have only put 20 hours on them and based on how little I drive during the night, if nothing at all, it will take forever. I have to drive with my headlights on during the day for them to shift sooner, not to mention it looks cool.

I deactivated my yellow daytime running lights because they look fugly, so driving with the headlights on, helps with making my car visible to other drivers and stand out, it basically works as daytime running lights.
4300K is daylight white, not warm white. Luxury cars that came stock with HIDs were around 4100K. I don't get why some people want blue headlights (6000K), it's really annoying at night.

Old 08-03-2017, 05:09 AM

748 posts, read 840,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
Yeah, having your lights on for "safety" while you're texting and listening to the radio and looking at your tv screen and your phone makes a hell of a difference. Shut the junk OFF and pay attention to what you're doing instead, if you want to drive safely ! Lights do not make it safer !

^^^^ Finally, someone who gets it!

Old 08-03-2017, 05:35 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post

It seems that the OP runs their lights on only because it's cool.
Evidently they change color at some point.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:50 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,271,677 times
I drive with my lights on all the time. It takes less than a second to flick them on when you start the car and turn them off at the end. Every car I've ever been in beeps or dings if you shut the car off and leave the lights on. After doing it for so long, it's just become second nature. And I don't have to worry if they are on if I hit fog or rain. Or during the winter when it's twilight, the sun has set but it's not totally dark while I'm driving home from work. I see an amazing number of people in all these scenarios driving without lights on and they are almost impossible to see sometimes.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:59 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times
Only when it's raining or foggy.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:04 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,843,742 times
Numerous studies have shown that after the first initial release of vehicles in the US there is no significant reduction in crashes due to use of DRL's. Here is a quote for NHTSA report: "A 2008 study by the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration analysed the effect of DRLs on frontal and side-on crashes between two vehicles and on vehicle collisions with pedestrians, cyclists, and motorcyclists. The analysis determined that DRLs offer no statistically significant reduction in the frequency or severity of the collisions studied, except for a reduction in light trucks' and vans' involvement in two-vehicle crashes by a statistically significant 5.7%"

Basically, what happened is when cars were first introduced with them, there was a reduction in crashes. After a few years and the majority of cars then having them, like anything else, the human brain begins to ignore them. So now, they are for the most part ineffective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive