Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 05:24 PM

136 posts, read 136,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
Yeah, having your lights on for "safety" while you're texting and listening to the radio and looking at your tv screen and your phone makes a hell of a difference. Shut the junk OFF and pay attention to what you're doing instead, if you want to drive safely ! Lights do not make it safer !
The hell they don't! They help people see you. That's why current models have full time running lights. It's a requirement, just like seat belts and air bags. For decades most states have required commercial trucks, and passenger carriers to run with lights on. Some also require it for private vehicles. I've followed the practice since I started driving in the late 60s. Never left the lights on either. That's what the dinger was for in the days before timers. If you see someone on the road with an early model running without lights give him lots of room. He's an idiot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 05:39 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,723,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
I have shown the math for this a few times on this a few times in the past and don't care to go thru it again. Fairly simple equations. Start by converting to bulb wattage to HP to fuel consumption to average amount of miles driven by Americans every year.

I get paid to do research and don't plan to do it on a public forum, unless for my own amusement.
2008 calculations = Less than a penny's worth of gas per car per day.

Old 08-03-2017, 05:41 PM

902 posts, read 863,854 times
Quote:
Yeah, having your lights on for "safety" while you're texting and listening to the radio and looking at your tv screen and your phone makes a hell of a difference. Shut the junk OFF and pay attention to what you're doing instead, if you want to drive safely ! Lights do not make it safer !
Get off my lawn!!!

Old 08-03-2017, 05:44 PM

748 posts, read 840,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog811 View Post
If you see someone on the road with an early model running without lights give him lots of room. He's an idiot.

Great idea people. Please be sure to give us idiots lots of room! Not that makes this all worth it....

Old 08-03-2017, 06:21 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times
Quote:
Actually in rainstorms lights are helpful and are the law in FL but many drivers ignore that and continue not to turn them on...

Old 08-03-2017, 06:40 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,990,745 times
According to my book (3rd edition 1973) of "Petersons Complete Ignition and Electrical Systems" back then, when voltage regulators were electro-mechanical, some people were in the habit of running headlights during the day (especially in the summer) to protect the battery from being overcharged and having it's life shortened. Their was of course no mention of it being a safety factor back then.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:07 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,536,679 times
Always.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:14 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,465,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
The last time I drove through Canada on my way to Alaska, having the headlights on was by law. Back then the Canadian cops would give you a big ticket if you got caught with the lights off on the ALCAN.
That's a Yukon-specific thing. You see the signs at the border, where they advise that headlights 24 hours are the law in the YT. Considering the roostertails of dust on the Alcan in places, and for a lot of other reasons, it's probably a pretty wise law. Far as I know it is not the law in BC--I've crossed into BC many times in the last dozen years and never been advised of it by any sign. And credit where it's due: Canadians are pretty up front advising US visitors of the law differences.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:54 PM

13,286 posts, read 8,463,474 times
My state has provisional laws on this matter. Get a fine and see how much safer your attitude is behind the wheel.
My kids loved playing ...Spah-did-dole ! To find that car with only one headlight working. So keep those lights lit! Kids will tell you if your lights are working

Old 08-03-2017, 08:04 PM

430 posts, read 335,797 times
Quote:
Who actually watches TV, texts, and does something else on their phone while driving? Like seriously, WHO on earth does that? Texting, yes I've seen it. But actually watching TV?

Well, I guess you might be the type to think I am as my car comes with a touchscreen that I use to change songs since it's safer than actually picking my phone up and doing it that way. And besides, most people don't like to drive in complete silence. For me, it just makes me rage out way faster and easier since my music is my crack and keeps me from angrily cutting off people and trying to have red light fights.

As for driving with headlights, I do since my car is silver, small, and with all the curbside parking can be hard to decipher from a parked car. So lights on so you see me in the morning. It's the smaller lights that don't shine bright anyway. Shouldn't blind the driver but only if I'm driving down residential roads and, even then, I try to remember to cut them on and then off so they see me for sure.

That and my cars lights start up automatically with the car anyway, I mostly just forget to turn them off lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive