Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 01:24 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,998,195 times

Advertisements

I'm all for DRLs and auto-headlights because I've lost track of how many people I see driving in the rain or driving at night without their headlights on. Have them all be auto or constantly on so morons won't forget to turn their lights on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 01:28 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,956,191 times
In my state, NY, it is the law to have your headlights on during a rain storm or when it is foggy. So, yeah, sometimes I do.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:34 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,956,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I'm all for DRLs and auto-headlights because I've lost track of how many people I see driving in the rain or driving at night without their headlights on. Have them all be auto or constantly on so morons won't forget to turn their lights on.
I see a LOT of people driving around with no lights on after dark. Are they really so stupid they don't notice????

Old 08-03-2017, 01:36 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,738,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Yes, that is one argument for DRLs. At least they will be on when it gets cloudy and/or rainy

Old 08-03-2017, 03:25 PM

2,462 posts, read 2,482,549 times
They seem to make motorcycles more than visible cars for some reason.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:37 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,206,432 times
On a two lane highway I always keep my headlights on. Absolutely necessary to avoid a head on. I also put them on if it rains.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:44 PM

748 posts, read 840,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Do you have a statistical reference for your statement?
I have shown the math for this a few times on this a few times in the past and don't care to go thru it again. Fairly simple equations. Start by converting to bulb wattage to HP to fuel consumption to average amount of miles driven by Americans every year.

I get paid to do research and don't plan to do it on a public forum, unless for my own amusement.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:53 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,738,816 times
I think Americans waste more fuel by being an over weight society. I think losing 1/2 lb would be more than enough to offset the fuel loss from DRLs.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:05 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,386,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Numerous studies have shown that after the first initial release of vehicles in the US there is no significant reduction in crashes due to use of DRL's. Here is a quote for NHTSA report: "A 2008 study by the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration analysed the effect of DRLs on frontal and side-on crashes between two vehicles and on vehicle collisions with pedestrians, cyclists, and motorcyclists. The analysis determined that DRLs offer no statistically significant reduction in the frequency or severity of the collisions studied, except for a reduction in light trucks' and vans' involvement in two-vehicle crashes by a statistically significant 5.7%"

Basically, what happened is when cars were first introduced with them, there was a reduction in crashes. After a few years and the majority of cars then having them, like anything else, the human brain begins to ignore them. So now, they are for the most part ineffective.
Hmmm....maybe in combination with other factors not studied....I have a low profile silver car and without my lights people turn left in front of me all the time. I really wonder if my car was yellow or red if that would happen so much.

So at least I can turn on my headlights. I guess I consider it a pretty much low cost thing and if it works great, if it doesn't, so what? My car is a 2005 and I haven't had to replace headlights or bulbs so it's not causing much wear and tear!

Old 08-03-2017, 04:33 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,998,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I think Americans waste more fuel by being an over weight society. I think losing 1/2 lb would be more than enough to offset the fuel loss from DRLs.
Or just take a dump before you get in your car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive