Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 07:13 AM

748 posts, read 840,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Numerous studies have shown that after the first initial release of vehicles in the US there is no significant reduction in crashes due to use of DRL's. Here is a quote for NHTSA report: "A 2008 study by the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration analysed the effect of DRLs on frontal and side-on crashes between two vehicles and on vehicle collisions with pedestrians, cyclists, and motorcyclists. The analysis determined that DRLs offer no statistically significant reduction in the frequency or severity of the collisions studied, except for a reduction in light trucks' and vans' involvement in two-vehicle crashes by a statistically significant 5.7%"

Basically, what happened is when cars were first introduced with them, there was a reduction in crashes. After a few years and the majority of cars then having them, like anything else, the human brain begins to ignore them. So now, they are for the most part ineffective.

Exactly! Not to mention that wasted fuel is expended to run this ineffective safety measure. Sure, I will get blasted again for bringing up something so insignificant. However cumulatively, leaving lights on during the day wastes tens of thousands of barrels of fuel every year.

Last edited by TRlaura; 08-03-2017 at 08:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 11:02 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,719,218 times
My headlights are always on. I'm hoping the extra visibility will register with the idiots who are doing everything except driving.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
Exactly! Not to mention that wasted fuel is expended to run this ineffective safety measure. Sure, I will get blasted again for bringing up something so insignificant. However cumulatively, leaving lights on during the day wastes tens of thousands of barrels of fuel every year.
Do you listen to your radio while driving? Use the air conditioner in the summer? The heat in the winter? Plug in your iPhone or it's ilk? Drive when it's windy?

If yes, then stop! You're wasting precious energy!

Old 08-03-2017, 11:14 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,738,816 times
Yeah, the wasted fuel is so minuscule not even sure it's a concern. It's like packing an apple to work. The added weight of the apple in the car is also wasted fuel.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:18 AM

748 posts, read 840,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Do you listen to your radio while driving? Use the air conditioner in the summer? The heat in the winter? Plug in your iPhone or it's ilk? Drive when it's windy?

If yes, then stop! You're wasting precious energy!

Yes, all of those if it is necessary. The key word there is necessary.....

Old 08-03-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Yes, all of those if it is necessary. The key word there is necessary.....
I feel that because of the state of "driving" and "drivers" today it is necessary.

I don't listen to the radio. No phone plugged in. No big screen navigation. So I don't waste any more fuel than anyone else.

I saw a worker filling a leaf blower the other day out of a gas can. Spilled probably 2-3 ounces on the sidewalk. Multiply that by the number of workers that do the same thing every day and you are likely talking about more fuel used/lost than all the headlights in America.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:39 AM

191 posts, read 161,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterio View Post
Does anyone else do this? The main reason why I'm doing it, is because I bought a really quality HID kit with 4300 kelvin Phillip bulbs. They perform phenomenally and are even brighter than many LEDs on the road, but 4300k is a warm white color and it has a slight tint of yellow. I don't like this very much. The stock LED bulbs from luxury vehicles, usually have bulbs in the 5500-6000 kelvin. They are cool white.

My bulbs are Phillips and are supposed to color shift to 4700 kelvins after 100 hour of use. I've have only put 20 hours on them and based on how little I drive during the night, if nothing at all, it will take forever. I have to drive with my headlights on during the day for them to shift sooner, not to mention it looks cool.

I deactivated my yellow daytime running lights because they look fugly, so driving with the headlights on, helps with making my car visible to other drivers and stand out, it basically works as daytime running lights.
HIDs should be illegal. I hope you've at least aimed them correctly. Living in DC I was routinely blinded - even in daytime - by people with modded civics or lifted trucks. My answer is no, you should not do this. Leave your daytime running lights on during the day. Minimize your impact to other drivers. Use your headlights in the dark and in the rain. Make sure they're aimed correctly.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:43 AM

14,254 posts, read 14,754,235 times
My 2107 Ford Explorer lights are set to auto. This means the daylight running lights are on and the headlights automatically come on when dark. Also the headlights come on if the windshield wipers are turned on.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:46 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,795,818 times
I run the daytime running lights in my little Toyota car. If I don't it seems like the other driver fail to see me. Not sure it makes a difference. I still almost get schmucked, twice on Sunday.

The horn works just fine.

I don't run lights during the day time in my pickup.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:43 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,771,990 times
Quote:
Do you have a statistical reference for your statement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive