Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2018, 09:42 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,047,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I've also driven the Autobahns in Germany at 200 kph in the left lane.

We were in Germany, and I think we passed two things:

A farmer pulling a horse-drawn cart

A broken-down vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 10:17 AM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
No I would imagine they would pick one unlucky driver out of the bunch which I have witnessed happen before.

If the flow is 80 in a 55 zone that indicates there are no cops in the vicinity not that you won't be pulled over for doing so. Lots of people have radar detectors. However are there a certain amount of cars needed to create a "flow" as you call it that makes you immune from getting pulled over? Is it two or five or ten?

I think your logic on this is backwards at best.
I see the same thing. If 80 is the flow of traffic, the cops don't pull anyone over. They wait for the guy doing 90, because he is not in the flow of traffic. The cops go at least 80 even when they're not on a call.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:59 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,821,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I see the same thing. If 80 is the flow of traffic, the cops don't pull anyone over. They wait for the guy doing 90, because he is not in the flow of traffic. The cops go at least 80 even when they're not on a call.
I think there was some study out there that proved you are safer going the same speed as the flow of traffic rather than sticking solely to the posted speed limit. This study also showed that you are actually the safest going slightly faster than the speed of traffic. The speed though needs to be reasonable. 80 in a 55 may be stretching it. But 80 in a 70 would work.

It’s just sensible to drive with the flow of traffic, if you are driving safely, if everyone around you is driving safely, AND if the flow is not at a speed that’s also careless and reckless.

Of course it is also illegal to exceed the posted limit, and you don’t get to claim that “everyone was doing it” if you get pulled over. Probably, during normal hours, when you’re driving sensibly, and your car is properly registered and all lights are working and you are not obviously texting, you won’t get pulled.

Old 07-19-2018, 11:14 AM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
If the flow is 80 in a 55 zone that indicates there are no cops in the vicinity not that you won't be pulled over for doing so. Lots of people have radar detectors. However are there a certain amount of cars needed to create a "flow" as you call it that makes you immune from getting pulled over? Is it two or five or ten?

I think your logic on this is backwards at best.
I conclude that you have not driven on California freeways in the LA/Orange/San Diego areas. On the happy occasions that traffic is flowing freely--and that does happen regularly, actually, and not just in the middle of the night--the cops are going 80, too.

And it is not possible that there would be only two or five or even ten cars at any given moment on a stretch of freeway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Correct.

This is why I said early on--know your location. And don't presume to judge that what drivers in other places are doing is "wrong" or will get them in trouble, based on your own local standards.

Last edited by saibot; 07-19-2018 at 11:28 AM..

Old 07-19-2018, 11:21 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,153,772 times
Inner city driving, like parkway and the like,5 mph over the limit is the norm. On the freeways,big 4 lane highways, 10 to 12 mph over the limit should be a safe pace.

In traffic, wet weather, drivers need to slow it down. The speed limit is usually obey strictly in bad weather condition.

The dangerous ones are the slowpokes and zig and zig bunch. Can't stand tailgating, nor the folks who won't budge from the fast lane.

Old 07-19-2018, 11:22 AM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I think there was some study out there that proved you are safer going the same speed as the flow of traffic rather than sticking solely to the posted speed limit. This study also showed that you are actually the safest going slightly faster than the speed of traffic. The speed though needs to be reasonable. 80 in a 55 may be stretching it. But 80 in a 70 would work.

It’s just sensible to drive with the flow of traffic, if you are driving safely, if everyone around you is driving safely, AND if the flow is not at a speed that’s also careless and reckless.

Of course it is also illegal to exceed the posted limit, and you don’t get to claim that “everyone was doing it” if you get pulled over. Probably, during normal hours, when you’re driving sensibly, and your car is properly registered and all lights are working and you are not obviously texting, you won’t get pulled.
The majority of highways here are 65. I should have specified that. I have heard the same things, but it’s just common sense to me that flow of traffic is safest. I think it is true even on foot or on a bike!

Old 07-19-2018, 11:25 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,471,110 times
I've seen HP pull cars riding in a pack, so I don't think going with the flow of the traffic is always a safe thing. At the same time, I've seen a pack of cars all riding together going well over the limit that don't get pulled. I think there are many factors involved. Are those cars driving recklessly? Are they weaving in and out of traffic, cutting people off? Are they tailgating each other?

Sometimes, I think what is worse are those cars that put on the break before they move over to another lane. I had this happen to me just last week. The flow of traffic was about 75 or 80, and a car in front of me put on their breaks, slowing the car down to about 30 mph just so he/she could get over to the other lane. The problem was, there were no cars coming so there was no need for the car to slow down - especially that slow. A lot of us behind this car had to react pretty quick to avoid a big accident. Having said that, none of were tailgating this car at all. In fact, this car was well up the road, but slowing down that quickly caused the rest of us to nearly slam on our breaks to avoid plowing into the back of this car.

So, I'm not sure if I agree with the idea that just going slow or going the speed limit is going to cause an accident - but I would say breaking right in the middle of the lane just to change lanes will most certainly get someone killed.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:50 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,574,375 times
Flow of traffic is the best way. 5 or 10 over.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:06 AM

6,560 posts, read 7,139,634 times
I always thought those rectangle signs with numbers were just suggestions???

Old 07-20-2018, 11:10 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,194,362 times
Now that this speed thread is winding down with responses, I will just say that when I am driving.

I AM THE LAW.

Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive