Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 08:37 AM

14,375 posts, read 11,774,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Then, don't be surprised, when local sheriff deputy pulls pack of eight vehicles on freeway over, and you were in the middle of it, doing just that - going with the flow.
Clearly, what is safe/legal depends on your location. The above literally never happens in California. I can't even imagine how a single patrol car would go about pulling eight cars over at the same time.

Here, it's always best to go with the flow. If the flow is 80, you will not be pulled over for going 80. I've been doing so for over 30 years and have not had a single speeding ticket in my life. If you really need or feel compelled to stick with 55 (the posted limit) on the freeway, stay to the far right.

The take-away is to know your location. If you're in a strange city/state, err on the cautious side, and observe the other drivers instead of stubbornly insisting on doing exactly what you would do at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 08:55 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,456,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
Just get the **** out if the way you slowpoke. I own 3 cars that can do well over 150 mph. I didn't buy these cars to drive 55 MPH.

You don't belong on the public roads in those vehicles, then. Believe it or not, they are not YOUR roads and you don't get to decide that the laws (traffic or otherwise) don't apply to you, no matter what Mommy told you about the universe revolving around you.

Truly excellent drivers (of the racing variety) who have nothing to prove because they've already proven it drive conservatively on the roads they share with others because they know what a mistake at high speed can do to the human body (and those cars they so cherish but rarely confuse with an important part of their anatomy, unlike some on here), and they know how likely such an error can happen on their part OR on the part of another driver on the road or simple vehicle failure, and they know that taking all of that into account is part of being a truly excellent driver, in fact, likely the most important criteria for one. Speed is not competence, not by a long shot. That one CAN push a pedal to the metal does not mean that one should always do so; knowing when and where such is appropriate or not and complying with that knowledge rather than feeding their need for speed or attention inappropriately is a defining characteristic of an excellent driver.

Old 07-15-2018, 09:04 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,436,003 times
I-75 here in Michigan the suggestion of 75mph seems to mean closer to 80 the further south you go the faster it gets. Strangely once the speed suggestion goes to 70 the average speed seems to be around 85mph.

Can anyone say they have never been guilty of speeding ? honestly? truly ? In suburban areas I abide but open roads are a different story.

Old 07-15-2018, 09:19 AM

15,552 posts, read 7,577,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
If you removed all the speed signs and measured the speed that each driver chooses and you plotted the result in a pareto chart, the proper speed limit would be where about 80% of the drivers choose.

For a 4 lane divided highway on a straight line in excellent weather, that speed is about 80 mph.

Our official speed limit is 75; and I choose to drive at 79. I've never gotten a ticket.

I've also driven the Autobahns in Germany at 200 kph in the left lane.

Speed doesn't kill; stupid road raged and drunk drivers kill.
That's how speed limits ought to be set, not artificially low like many of the Eastern states do. I've driven 230kph(131 mph) on the autobahn in Germany, but backed off to 180 or so because it was more comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
A lot of folks out there drive poor handling vehicles (pickups, SUVs) and probably shouldn't be going much faster than 55. A good handling car feels like its standing still at 55 and can still make evasive maneuvers in an emergency. An SUV or truck, not so much. If everyone drove a decent handling car, I'd be on board with an 80mph+ speed limit. However, between distracted drivers and pickup/SUVs, 55 is closer to realistic, although 65 would be probably be OK.
My 2010 4Runner is perfectly happy up to 85, which is the fastest I've driven it. Totally stable, and with good handling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
A very good reason not to live wherever “here” is. Jail for a minor traffic violation?

I normally keep it to speed limit + 9 on the adaptive cruise control on limited access highways and speed limit + 4 on secondary roads. The speed limit is all about opportunity cost. That speed will never get me a ticket. Any faster and I’m risking years of insurance surcharges.
In Virginia, 80+, or more than 20 over the speed limit, is reckless driving, with large fines and possible jail time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
As usual, a whole bunch of entitled criminals thinking that laws don't apply to them.
If I get stopped, I'll pay the fine. Fortunately, Texas is generally reasonable on enforcement. Also, Texas speed limits are presumed laws, not absolute laws. The speed limits are a presumption of the speed that's reasonable and prudent. If you are ticketed, you can make the case that the speed you were driving was reasonable and prudent for the conditions.

Old 07-15-2018, 09:38 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,205,009 times
Seattleites see 60mph but dart directly to the left lane and camp around 45-55mph, so definitely not

Old 07-15-2018, 10:18 AM

10,918 posts, read 7,440,288 times
Or simple mistakes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Speed doesn't kill; stupid road raged and drunk drivers kill.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:24 AM

17,348 posts, read 12,308,352 times
The speed limit is supposed to be set to what 85% of drivers would do if there was no posted speed limit at all. 55 seems artificially low for any interstate these days.
The Truth About Speed Limits, Explained by an Engineer | SEH®

Old 07-15-2018, 10:27 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,456,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
That's how speed limits ought to be set, not artificially low like many of the Eastern states do. I've driven 230kph(131 mph) on the autobahn in Germany, but backed off to 180 or so because it was more comfortable.

My 2010 4Runner is perfectly happy up to 85, which is the fastest I've driven it. Totally stable, and with good handling.

In Virginia, 80+, or more than 20 over the speed limit, is reckless driving, with large fines and possible jail time.

If I get stopped, I'll pay the fine. Fortunately, Texas is generally reasonable on enforcement. Also, Texas speed limits are presumed laws, not absolute laws. The speed limits are a presumption of the speed that's reasonable and prudent. If you are ticketed, you can make the case that the speed you were driving was reasonable and prudent for the conditions.

But if you are ticketed, chances are really good that it was because your speed was NOT reasonable and prudent for the conditions (all those pesky other drivers on YOUR roads, for example, whose vehicles aren't just like yours and whose experience and ability is not as good as you think yours is).

Old 07-15-2018, 10:55 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,548,887 times
Police also speed at times:

https://youtu.be/Ey4J_SkTiQo

Old 07-15-2018, 11:08 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,383,198 times
In the real world the "speed limit" is the minimum people are expected to drive, anyone who's been out of drivers ed for more than a week can see that. Very few drivers drive as if it were the real "limit", the police don't enforce it as a "limit" even speed cameras don't trigger for less than 12 mph over.

If the speed limit nazis would drive like everyone else there would be fewer traffic problems. The only reason the roads work at all is because everyone agrees to a common set of driving behavior. The 10% who can't think for themselves and must not ever drive over the arbitrary number some bureaucrat selected are the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive