Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2018, 04:57 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,319,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Personally, my thinking would be to live in a better neighborhood or find a job that severely limits my time in dangerous areas...opposed to driving the newest car I can. Even newer cars can break down...or have a flat, or get in a an accident, or get blocked in by people looking to do one harm, or get caught in traffic or catch a stray bullet from a drive by, etc.
Sure newer cars can break down. But it's less likely. and for cars with warranties, you just call the dealer and say "handle it." Peace of mind and ease of operation. And if you bought the right car, you also get a loaner and don't have to worry about down time with a broken car.

Old 10-17-2018, 05:29 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,558,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasnell76 View Post
Single 42 year old in Chicago, driving my 2006 car I bought brand new in 2005. It's in great shape considering the age, and I'm going to drive it til it dies. No car payments! Also, I don't want to park a new car on the street here.
This is why I use my '05 Sentra as my "city driver." I keep her washed, waxed,and as cosmetically well-maintained as I can but I don't have to be especially paranoid when I park her on the street. Feel that she's less of a target for break-ins when I'm out and about in some of the more sketchy areas of Pittsburgh, too.

Old 10-17-2018, 05:35 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,930,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Sure newer cars can break down. But it's less likely. and for cars with warranties, you just call the dealer and say "handle it." Peace of mind and ease of operation. And if you bought the right car, you also get a loaner and don't have to worry about down time with a broken car.
Even with all that being said, I DON’T want to be driving through bad neighborhoods because as I mentioned anything can happen and you may be stopped as a result of something that has nothing to do with your vehicles age. Regardless, it’s not like 120, 130, 140k-ish mile cars should be breaking down every 6 months...unless you simply have a lemon which would’ve likely surfaced long before.

I’ll also mention that anyone could call a dealer and say “handle it” - a Civic with 140k miles could break and one could have AAA tow it to the nearest Honda dealer and tell them to handle it. If you bought the right car and maintain it correctly, odds are you won’t need a loaner unless you plan on driving it until the wheels fall off.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:55 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,874,922 times
Security is really really important to women and, in theory, newer cars are less likely to break down. Getting stranded and potentially getting raped to hell is not typically a concern for men.

Old 10-17-2018, 07:01 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,930,237 times
Now that I think about it, probably 2-3% of my driving may be in areas that I REALLY wouldn’t want to break down in. Most of it is on main roads very close to gas stations, stores, restaurants, etc that I could easily walk to. If modern vehicles are reliable at 120, 130, 140, 150k miles than what are the odds that my car breaks down while driving AND is in a bad neighborhood AND something terrible happens? Perhaps somewhat similar odds to something happening while at the mall or grocery store? Places many women go to often and alone. My risk factor is lowered even further by having AAA/cellphone (help is instantly on the way and at least 1 family member is notified).

I know bad things have happened to people while broke down on the side of the highway, but is it similar to being overly concerned that your child will be kidnapped? Those types of stories will make the news but how likely is it to occur? The United States isn’t some utopia but the overwhelming majority of people aren’t rapist or murderers...especially in decent areas.

Obviously I can’t tell anyone what to feel concerned about, but I’m just trying to look at this “my 140k well maintained vehicle will likely break down and I’ll be in danger” scenario from a logical/statistical standpoint. Heck, maybe I need to be told why I’m not as fearful as I should be.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:03 PM

142 posts, read 243,486 times
I'm female and I've had a lot of beaters in my life and have spent a lot of my time helping my dad who repaired/worked on our cars which were always quite used. However now, I am in management at my job and it is important I have a newer car/reliable car to get to work. I don't think my work would think it "cool" if I continually called in due to my car not working.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:16 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,942,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I wonder what the real odds are of a person breaking down and as a result being assaulted/killed (a breakdown from highish mileage is probably pretty rare unless a car has 200k+ miles). Are we talking lesser odds as having that happen in a mall or Walmart parking parking lot? I’ve used AAA before and within about 30 minutes someone was there to help...didn’t even have to get out of the car. I could’ve been sitting there with the doors locked and pistol/phone in hand. I’ve actually never even had anyone stop to help and I doubt they knew what gender I was sitting in my car.
I drive over a series of bridges that run for about 10 miles. If you break down, you’re sitting on the shoulder 10” away from 85 mph texting drivers waiting for a tow truck. Not all safety is crime related.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:18 PM

88,531 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Absolutely I 100% agree. Women do need to be more careful for their security. Well, most, some don't .
I am a woman who never worried much about safety by virtue of the fact that I am six feet tall. While it wasn't always socially easy being a woman of this height, the upside is that nobody really ever saw me as a target for robbery or assault.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:18 PM

88,531 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I drive over a series of bridges that run for about 10 miles. If you break down, you’re sitting on the shoulder 10” away from 85 mph texting drivers waiting for a tow truck. Not all safety is crime related.
Where, just out of curiosity from someone who likes bridges?

Old 10-17-2018, 09:21 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,942,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Interesting.

Dry cleaning women's clothing costs more than mens. Why? because women will pay it and men won't

Haircuts for women cost as much as 100% more than the same haircut for a man. Why? because women will pay it and men won't.

Women's clothing,e especially fashion is easier to me, requires less materials but costs more, often by 1000% for the equivalent items.

Take a backpack and write YSL or some other trade name all over it and then try to sell it to men for $3000. How many will you sell?

How much does a typical man spend in year getting his finger and toe nails done?

How much do typical men spend on make up and perfume each month?

I have a hard time accepting your premise.
Girls typically spend more money on themselves, while men usually spend more money on hobbies and cars.
How many women have you heard of have a project car? A guy might not have a $3000 backpack, but would think nothing of spending $3000 for a lift kit or a turbocharger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive