Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2018, 02:35 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,938,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
To flip your statement over, on average, women are more used to having to think about their safety than men are (see that "on average" qualifier). When I worked in the city, I always made sure my car was parked in a better-lit section of the garage, always had my keys in my hand when I left the building, always kept my head up when walking to the car. So it is no stretch to extend that vigilance to worry about breakdowns/accidents.
I wonder what the real odds are of a person breaking down and as a result being assaulted/killed (a breakdown from highish mileage is probably pretty rare unless a car has 200k+ miles). Are we talking lesser odds as having that happen in a mall or Walmart parking parking lot? I’ve used AAA before and within about 30 minutes someone was there to help...didn’t even have to get out of the car. I could’ve been sitting there with the doors locked and pistol/phone in hand. I’ve actually never even had anyone stop to help and I doubt they knew what gender I was sitting in my car.

Old 10-17-2018, 02:43 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
And this post amply illustrates a difference between men and women. Women are practical and realistic, men are still hung up on what's cool and flashy while denigrating the female perceived need for safety and reliability as being fear-based, according to the poster.

Maybe I should have made that women and boys, not men.
Interesting.

Dry cleaning women's clothing costs more than mens. Why? because women will pay it and men won't

Haircuts for women cost as much as 100% more than the same haircut for a man. Why? because women will pay it and men won't.

Women's clothing,e especially fashion is easier to me, requires less materials but costs more, often by 1000% for the equivalent items.

Take a backpack and write YSL or some other trade name all over it and then try to sell it to men for $3000. How many will you sell?

How much does a typical man spend in year getting his finger and toe nails done?

How much do typical men spend on make up and perfume each month?

I have a hard time accepting your premise.

Old 10-17-2018, 02:44 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,421,087 times
I've seen just as many women drive junkers as new or newer vehicles. I do see more women driving jeeps than ever before.

Old 10-17-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Interesting.

Dry cleaning women's clothing costs more than mens. Why? because women will pay it and men won't

Haircuts for women cost as much as 100% more than the same haircut for a man. Why? because women will pay it and men won't.

Women's clothing,e especially fashion is easier to me, requires less materials but costs more, often by 1000% for the equivalent items.

Take a backpack and write YSL or some other trade name all over it and then try to sell it to men for $3000. How many will you sell?

How much does a typical man spend in year getting his finger and toe nails done?

How much do typical men spend on make up and perfume each month?

I have a hard time accepting your premise.
I think a lot of women are as preoccupied with keeping up with Joneses as men...maybe even moreso. Just think of how many times you hear of women saying their future husband needed to be civilized...bare walls in a rather dumpy apartment, cheap dates, eating pizza/beer 4 times a week, crappy clothes, borderline acceptable hygiene, drinking out of Dixie Cups, etc. Heck, I never cared at all about dressing up and going to fancy places unless a woman nagged me about how much she loved doing those things.

Old 10-17-2018, 02:51 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I wonder what the real odds are of a person breaking down and as a result being assaulted/killed (a breakdown from highish mileage is probably pretty rare unless a car has 200k+ miles). Are we talking lesser odds as having that happen in a mall or Walmart parking parking lot? I’ve used AAA before and within about 30 minutes someone was there to help...didn’t even have to get out of the car. I could’ve been sitting there with the doors locked and pistol/phone in hand. I’ve actually never even had anyone stop to help and I doubt they knew what gender I was sitting in my car.
What are the odds your house or apartment will catch fire? Pretty darned low. Yet most people think about it and carry fire insurance. In 45 years of driving, I have been in one small fender bender. Yet as long as my car is worth $10,000 or so, I carry full insurance.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 10-17-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
What are the odds your house or apartment will catch fire? Pretty darned low. Yet most people think about it and carry fire insurance. In 45 years of driving, I have been in one small fender bender. Yet as long as my car is worth $10,000 or so, I carry full insurance.
So you have fire alarms, insurance (road side assistance/buying a reliable car) and take precautions to make sure the home is safe (the equivalent of routine maintenance on a car) - do you really worry about your house burning down? It never really crosses my mind even though I know it could happen.

Old 10-17-2018, 03:09 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Your post demonstrates that women tend to think emotionally where as men are more rational. My wife is the same way. I think men also realize they chances are extremely small to break down especially in a bad area, but women do focus on it (my wife litterally could've written your post for you!).

In most households there isn't much financial breathing room for both to have a newer car. So, the men take the beater.
No, it's RATIONAL to think that "newer car = more reliable = less chance of a breakdown (anywhere)." And sorry, but men can be just as emotional on certain topics.

Also, as a man you have the privilege of not having to consider your personal safety as often. Men can be victims of crimes too, of course, but we are at a MUCH higher risk overall. As I said, I don't live in fear or anything; but I'm also not stupid, and try to minimize the risks when possible. This reminds me of a joke Dave Chappelle made in his recent special, along the lines of "It must be scary walking around 24/7 with something men want (a vagina), like if I were always carrying $10,000 cash in my pocket." Truth!

Old 10-17-2018, 03:10 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Yep. I hear this all the time on these forums. The hubby buys the wife a new vehicle and inherits her older vehicle. The upside to that is you know the vehicle's maintenance history, you know how the vehicle was driven, and by the time she's tired of the car (which probably hits around year 4 or 5), you're probably inheriting a good, will maintained, vehicle.

My wife's dream "car" is a Ford Raptor. Maybe I should consider getting her one in hopes she gets tired of it quickly, then I can take it over.
These days, it's just as safe to assume SHE bought the car for herself - or THEY bought it with their joint finances. I know very few single-income households, but that's also skewed a tad by our local COL (in the Bay Area). Still, how many married women under age 50 do you know who don't work?

Old 10-17-2018, 03:15 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
I'm an older woman. I drive a Toyota Corolla that currently has about 116K on it. I put at least 1200 miles a month on it. It's great on gas, and I'm going to run that sucker till it doesn't run anymore.

Old 10-17-2018, 03:18 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Quote:
To flip your statement over, on average, women are more used to having to think about their safety than men are (see that "on average" qualifier). When I worked in the city, I always made sure my car was parked in a better-lit section of the garage, always had my keys in my hand when I left the building, always kept my head up when walking to the car. So it is no stretch to extend that vigilance to worry about breakdowns/accidents.
Absolutely I 100% agree. Women do need to be more careful for their security. Well, most, some don't .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive