Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 08:08 AM

459 posts, read 620,151 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the feedback.
I did not specifically exclude American or far eastern cars, just so happened my short list was European.
2 things I really want are a manual transmission and that glorious sounding 5 pot engine, hence the Volvo options.
I slightly considered the Mustang GT as it has a rather nice V8 and can be had with a manual gearbox. Price is very good but to be honest, there is one around every corner here in Florida.
The Touareg/Q7 TDi option was because I had one before and generally loved it, except for a few strange quirks...typical VAG group things and they can be had "so cheap" now after the emissions scandal.

I have no interest in BMW, Mercedes or Jaguar vehicles, not sure why.

So at the end of the day, I am working on picking up a TT RS soon. As someone noted, with my user name what car was always top of the list lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 08:38 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,980,084 times
At least test drive a Cayman/Boxster back to back with the TTRS.

I’m sure you can find the prior gen 6 cylinder in a low mileage CPO form for a screaming deal.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:01 AM

6,559 posts, read 7,139,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
At least test drive a Cayman/Boxster back to back with the TTRS.

I’m sure you can find the prior gen 6 cylinder in a low mileage CPO form for a screaming deal.
Make sure it's a GTS too, then it's similar category as an RS. But Porsche will never put the Cayman/Boxster in awd because of the 911. Also kinda weird that the Cayman and Boxster are same vehicle, just ones a convertible and has different name.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:13 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,558,895 times
I'm 46 and in the full throws of the mid-life crisis for a couple of years now (and yes, it sucks).

Turns out I already owned my mid-life car though, when I almost made the mistake of replacing it with what I thought a midlife guy ought' to be driving. Thankfully the market showed me the error of my ways and I kept it while adding onto the garage inventory via the used market instead of new.

My midlife is my 2015 VW GTI, and is about to get the computer tune to turn it into a little usable land missile toy. I love that car!!

My "I am midlife" guy car is a used MB E350 sedan. Love it too, but in a self-defeated kind of way of acknowledging the obvious balding spot on the back of my head (career/kids), and cholesterol gut (marriage).

I prefer the GTI 80% of the time...

Get the Audi, you'll love the dual clutch in all situations, and if you're really irritated at getting older, have the boys at APR Tuning throw one of their computer programs on the car and be completely stunned.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:37 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,917,274 times
I've been debating a mid-life crisis car for about 10-15 years now.

Every time I find something I think would work, I decide not to spend the money and to put it into our retirement fund instead.

Old 02-07-2019, 02:30 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,932,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrohead View Post
OK so I have turned 50 and in good health and enjoying a healthy change I have made to my life.
I have driven a good assortment of vehicle's over the years from tractors to Tesla's.
I had a 2012 VWTouareg TDi when I moved to FL but turned it in and made money from the emissions scandal. I bought a 2011 Toyota Sienna to replace it because it is so practical and reliable for what I might of needed at the time.
Still have the Sienna and it's doing fine. However it is totally boring and honestly I feel like treating myself whilst the going is still good. So here is my short list.

1. Audi TT-RS. I had an Audi quattro in the UK and loved it beyond reason. Only sold it because I moved to the USA. The 5 cylinder engine is the best sounding in the world.
2. Volvo S60R. Sleeper car but all old and probably beaten to hell at this point.
3. Volvo C70. Newer years still around and a few with the manual transmission. Convertible.
4. VW Touareg TDi again lol. It was a fine SUV and can now be had fixed, newer and lower miles than mine for less money than I sold for.

I guess I am really asking permission to buy a TT-RS lol
Have you looked for any Audi RS-5's? Personally I find the design of that car far more appealing than a TT. Maybe that's another option for you...

Old 02-08-2019, 06:56 AM

459 posts, read 620,151 times
Should be picking up a car today, will see if it is as described. I have my buyers check list.
Creaking front suspension, rear speakers working ?, rear light unit ground etc.

So many of these cars are modded for track, this one is not and has some miles on it, so hoping it was just a fancy commuter car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive