Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 03:35 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,403,751 times

Advertisements

Another quick fact, all dealerships have drivers available to deliver vehicles, just about any distance. I have used this on occasion. Especially new vehicles.

But, last summer I found a used truck at a dealership about 150 miles away. I sent them the vin and pics on my trade, we reached an agreement on price and I met them half way at a truck stop. They looked over my ride, I looked over theirs, gave them a check and they gave me the paperwork I needed to register it. I had never bought anything from them before. Almost all negotiations were text or email.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2020, 01:23 AM

29 posts, read 12,203 times
Hey. Yes, the situation is serious, you must take it very seriously. Many sellers cheat like that. They may remain silent about some car's breakdown. Therefore, you must prepare for this. I bought a car in this way a couple years ago, so I know about this situation not by hearsay. Therefore, to make sure that everything is fine with the car, and I do not buy scrap metal, I ordered a report about the car. You had to enter the VIN number of the car and you will be given the whole story about the car. And I ordered this report for myself to make sure whether the seller is cheating me or not. I remember ordering a report on the website https://epicvin.com/. So good luck with your purchase!

Old 07-22-2020, 03:22 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on buying a vehicle .
Interesting.

Appears to be someone seeking a used truck. And getting a loan to pay for it.

1. Save up money so that you can pay cash.
2. Borrow money from relatives. Buy truck cash. Then get the loan. Then pay back relatives.
3. Take out a personal loan. Once you buy truck then get a car/truck loan at your local credit union.

Then you have to travel once you find the right truck. And maybe travel multiple times if truck is not as described. But if truck is what you want. Just buy it on the spot. Regular tags or temporary tags. Insurance. And drive home.

And as stated here many times. Take to any local mechanic shop. Have it checked out. And pay for a Carfax. Before buying.

Simple.

Old 07-22-2020, 08:14 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,058,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Interesting.

Appears to be someone seeking a used truck. And getting a loan to pay for it.

1. Save up money so that you can pay cash.
2. Borrow money from relatives. Buy truck cash. Then get the loan. Then pay back relatives.
3. Take out a personal loan. Once you buy truck then get a car/truck loan at your local credit union.

Then you have to travel once you find the right truck. And maybe travel multiple times if truck is not as described. But if truck is what you want. Just buy it on the spot. Regular tags or temporary tags. Insurance. And drive home.

And as stated here many times. Take to any local mechanic shop. Have it checked out. And pay for a Carfax. Before buying.

Simple.
Yes unit731, cash isn't a problem as I have saved up to buy this way. Travelling to multiple trucks across the country, especially during the pandemic, is out of the question. I have given myself plenty of time and do not have an immediate or pressing need for the truck.

Made two long distance offers so far...

Truck A: Very friendly/helpful salesman, dealer ships nationwide/worldwide. Spotless truck, extensive photo's, perfect carfax, five star rated dealer. Three local mechanics I called were all booked a week or two out due to nobody travelling/flying and taking local road trips due to pandemic, by the time I lined up a mechanic that could fit the truck in for a PPI it had unfortunately sold to a local. Gracious salesman apologized and offered assistance on any other inventory I might be interested in.

Truck B: Salesman hands me over to sales manager, we haggle and I agree to price. Truck had "enough" photo's and a "just ok" carfax. Again, local mechanic's first opening to perform PPI is Friday (two days away from struck deal). Manager whines and complains he has to send two of his guys 15 minutes down the road (one to drive the first guy back) for the inspection. Dealership no longer ships (they apparently got sued) and shipping is solely up to buyer to arrange.

I backed off deal at that point due to hostile/non-cooperative sales manager. Dealership then raised price of truck over $1,000.00 and it is now no longer on their site.

And so it goes....

Old 07-23-2020, 10:37 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Travelling to multiple trucks across the country, especially during the pandemic, is out of the question.

And so it goes....
Tough or difficult or not wanted in these days with the news of COVID-19 going up almost every day.

In some states I wouldn't wish to go out at all. Never mind looking at used trucks. Granted.

In the past. I purchased used my 2002 1500 4X4 Z71 5.3 single cab sight unseen off e/bay. Truck had 38,000 one owner miles. No accidents. Nice original paint. Have had the truck for 8 years now with zero issues. The truck looks and drives as new. Oil undercoated every year to prevent rust. Truck looks new on top and up on a lift.

I had to fly to rural Tennessee to get the truck. I did pay more then the book value.

Good used trucks are few and far between unless one gets a relatively new one. But with the newer ones the used price can be quite high. Almost to the point of buying a new one with less features.

GM has an interesting option. Business Choice. If you are a business - any business. One can order a single fleet optioned vehicle. Begin with the Work Truck and then add any options that are desired. Plus one can order the truck with SEO colors.

LINK

Many smaller GM dealers are not familiar with the Business Choice program or provide mis-information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive