Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 05:31 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,060,166 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on buying a vehicle (in my case a pickup truck) from an out of area dealer? Where I live there must be some sort of law that all trucks must have at least three owners and two accidents and be overpriced. Even a mere outreach of 50 miles or so out into surrounding states/countryside and the offerings improve quite a bit. Go 100 miles or more and selection/price/condition gets even better.

The problem is that when I find a good prospect and check the dealerships reviews, there is ALWAYS at least one or two (and many more in most cases) reviews that cite a dealer playing games after the purchaser drove hours to get there.

The games include...
A. Vehicle no longer available for whatever reason (and there are many)
B. Vehicle sold out from under buyer while they were in transit (and this happens even if buyer had deposit)
C. Price suddenly raised to above what was negotiated when buyer arrived at dealership.
D. Vehicle in much worse condition (or even entirely different) from one in listing photos/description.

Some of these folks drove 4 to 5 hours or more to the dealership only to be faced with one or more of the above scenarios. And again, a deposit does not seem to guaranty any place holding or security in the matter.

One could transact the entire deal remotely with a local mechanic checking vehicle and having the vehicle shipped. That would avoid the above, but may come with a different set of potential perils.

Suggestions/Solutions please...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2020, 05:41 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,257,894 times
Done it many times.
I've yet to fail to make a deal, although the dealing has gotten "interesting" a couple of times.

There is a chance that you'll have to walk. That's how it goes sometimes.
50 or 100 miles is no big deal.

Old 07-03-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Done it many times.
I've yet to fail to make a deal, although the dealing has gotten "interesting" a couple of times.

There is a chance that you'll have to walk. That's how it goes sometimes.
50 or 100 miles is no big deal.
Thanks for the reply eaton...

If buying from dealer, how do you normally get vehicle back home?

A. Have dealer provide temp tags and take public transportation out, driving vehicle home.
B. Ride out with someone and you drive purchased vehicle back while other person drives the car you arrived with back.
C. No dealer temp tags and have vehicle shipped back, registering and getting your own tags registration back home when vehicle arrives.

I will likely drive a few hundred miles, but depending on reputation of dealer, price of truck and good local mechanics willing to give the truck the once over and give it their blessing, I might do everything remotely with shipping if further out than that.

Old 07-03-2020, 08:09 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,257,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post

A. Have dealer provide temp tags and take public transportation out, driving vehicle home.
B. Ride out with someone and you drive purchased vehicle back while other person drives the car you arrived with back.
C. No dealer temp tags and have vehicle shipped back, registering and getting your own tags registration back home when vehicle arrives.

I will likely drive a few hundred miles, but depending on reputation of dealer, price of truck and good local mechanics willing to give the truck the once over and give it their blessing, I might do everything remotely with shipping if further out than that.
You have all of the paperwork. Drive it home.

Old 07-03-2020, 08:27 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:

I bought my car from 200 miles away. Dealer provided temp tag and I had car shipped to me.

Old 07-03-2020, 08:52 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,404,637 times
I have been buying vehicles out of state, almost exclusively from dealers, for decades. I use a few specialized trucks in a couple of my businesses. I have found that truck specific dealerships are welled versed in long distance sales and delivery. ( I have picked them up and had them delivered) Yes, I have had a few issues in over 40 years of making this kind of purchase, but they were very few. The people in the truck/fleet departments, are usually a different breed than the guy trying to flag you down in the car lot. So, I suggest asking for someone in fleet truck sales and you should be dealing with an experienced sales person with integrity and knowledge of long distance sales.

The biggest issue and mistake I made was dealing with a national leasing company. This only happened one time, no more lease vehicles after that “one.”

Just this past week, one of the first guys I ever bought a long distance vehicle buy from, called me to see how I was doing and if I needed any trucks. (My first buy from him was in 1977, yeah, these are good people in the fleet sales departments)

Old 07-03-2020, 11:17 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,849,024 times
Quote:

In Florida, a plate stays with the owner and not a specific vehicle, and you definitely want to hold a plate as long as possible because it's about $60 to transfer a plate and $600+ to get one issued for the first time. So take plate off old car (sold elsewhere), use Expedia to find the cheapest acceptable one way rental to the city the dealership is located in. In larger cities, you may even get lucky and have the option to drop the rental at a Hertz or Enterprise outpost within a block or two of the dealership, noting that you keep the rental until AFTER you have new vehicle and title in your possession.(It's typically no big deal to have to modify a rental car agreement on the fly from one of the majors as long as you communicate clearly what you want to do before you do it) In smaller locations, you may need a second person to help drop the rental car off after you take possession of your new car.

Dealer completes the plate transfer and will even put your old plate on your new car and the transfer fee is noted on the bill of sale along with sales tax paid on the car at time of purchase. While they are allowed to charge a general paperwork fee for the purchase transaction, they cannot list the transfer fee line item as more than what the state charges for that.

Old 07-04-2020, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I bought my car from 200 miles away. Dealer provided temp tag and I had car shipped to me.
Good idea as you can start driving the vehicle right away upon arrival over having it sit in the driveway until you get it plated/registered locally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latunafish View Post
I have been buying vehicles out of state, almost exclusively from dealers, for decades. I use a few specialized trucks in a couple of my businesses.
Can you get non-specialized every day trucks like an F-150 or Sierra/Silverado 1500 from fleet dealers? Sounds like they would be a good source with good prices as fleet vehicles may not command the same price as personal vehicles would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
In Florida, a plate stays with the owner and not a specific vehicle, and you definitely want to hold a plate as long as possible because it's about $60 to transfer a plate and $600+ to get one issued for the first time. So take plate off old car (sold elsewhere), use Expedia to find the cheapest acceptable one way rental to the city the dealership is located in. In larger cities, you may even get lucky and have the option to drop the rental at a Hertz or Enterprise outpost within a block or two of the dealership, noting that you keep the rental until AFTER you have new vehicle and title in your possession.(It's typically no big deal to have to modify a rental car agreement on the fly from one of the majors as long as you communicate clearly what you want to do before you do it) In smaller locations, you may need a second person to help drop the rental car off after you take possession of your new car.

Dealer completes the plate transfer and will even put your old plate on your new car and the transfer fee is noted on the bill of sale along with sales tax paid on the car at time of purchase. While they are allowed to charge a general paperwork fee for the purchase transaction, they cannot list the transfer fee line item as more than what the state charges for that.
Thanks for the advice, bonus here is Florida trucks haven't been through Northeast winters, and not likely used for snow plowing...

Old 07-04-2020, 08:34 AM

1,394 posts, read 1,404,637 times
Op, because of the relationships I have developed over the years, I usually buy even my personal vehicles from one of these dealerships I have history with. I usually spec out what I am looking for, send it to several sources, pick one and make the deal. Most of the time, the truck/fleet sales can crossover and sell something off the regular lot and if they can’t, they will hook you up with the sales manager or other reputable sales person. I also have found a vehicle I like at a distance and get a local dealer to bring it in for me. ( this might not not always be the absolute best deal on the vehicle, but if it is what you want and you drive as many miles as I do, it is a small price to pay. You also get local warranty without any hassle)

Old 07-04-2020, 08:44 AM

12,908 posts, read 28,001,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post

No it’s not. First time plate fee is 200. I’m in Florida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive