Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 09:28 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
No it’s not. First time plate fee is 200. I’m in Florida
Have been in Florida since 1998 and it has varied over time. There have been years when the fee has been waived (useful because one of our cars get registered then) and years when it was much more than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2020, 10:00 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,908,150 times
Check out Carvana. They deliver the vehicle to you. Give you a week to check it out. And there's a warranty.

You'll pay more for any vehicle but that's the cost of your comfort level.

Read the reviews.

Check their website.

Old 07-04-2020, 04:22 PM

2,462 posts, read 2,480,403 times
Just make sure you are at least six feet away.

Old 07-05-2020, 02:15 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,059,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latunafish View Post
I also have found a vehicle I like at a distance and get a local dealer to bring it in for me. ( this might not not always be the absolute best deal on the vehicle, but if it is what you want and you drive as many miles as I do, it is a small price to pay. You also get local warranty without any hassle)
Yes, I am going to see if there is some inter-connectivity and/or mutual cooperation within Ford dealerships where I can buy from a distance but maybe have a local dealer help out if there is any specific needs an/or hurdles I encounter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Check out Carvana. They deliver the vehicle to you. Give you a week to check it out. And there's a warranty.

You'll pay more for any vehicle but that's the cost of your comfort level.

Read the reviews.

Check their website.
Problem with Carvana is I don't think they'd stand for me hiring a mechanic to inspect and/or negotiate the price. And possession is always nine tenths of the law, once they have your money, they may make you jump through hoops and run you around in circles in a return process. Warranty's can be loaded up with "weasel clauses" and fine print.

My concern is the return policy and ease of delivery is more a marketing strategy to fetch top dollar and their services may falter if put to the test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
Just make sure you are at least six feet away.
LOL....

Well the shipping would be cheap for that distance...

Someone forgot to tell the used truck sellers it may be a buyers market with all that's going on. Prices seem high as ever and good trucks don't last long, new one's come on the market every day though.

Old 07-05-2020, 03:20 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,708,061 times
Interesting question, ShouldIMove . . .

Years ago I was in a similar predicament . . . I wanted a particular model and color of a very limited production vehicle.

The local Chevy Dealers were "zapping" from $5k to $10k over sticker plus really did not have exactly what I wanted. I searched far and wide for about six months with no luck whatsoever. I finally located the perfect vehicle about 1600 miles away with no "price zapping." After about a dozen phone calls and e-mails, I decided to GO FOR IT. The Sales Manager offered to ship for a fairly reasonable amount but I just did not feel comfortable with that so I flew to within 100 miles, they picked me up at the airport and the rest is history.

The 1600 mile "get acquainted" trip home was an experience I will never forget and would do it again if necessary.

My advice . . . GO FOR IT.

Old 07-06-2020, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post

My advice . . . GO FOR IT.
Thanks for the vote of confidence Bummer....

I'm up against three issues in my location...

A. The NY tri-state area is one of the most expensive areas in the country to live, prices of vehicles both new and used are priced "regionally" so are higher in my neck of the woods.

B. Long Island is even worse because it is so inconvenient and costly to get off the Island with NYC traffic and road/bridge/tunnel tolls. Years ago a friend of mine and I drove from her house to Montclair NJ, a 30 mile trip. Between the Throgs Neck Bridge, the Jersey Turnpike and The GW Bridge it cost us $30.00 in tolls (that's a dollar a mile), and we got caught in horrendous Cross Bronx Expressway traffic coming back. Imagine if we were going to look at a car or truck.

IMO the Long Dealers know this, and take advantage of residents being "stranded on and Island", given the above example, for looking at even immediate (50 miles or less) competition.

C. Dealers here mostly use the "old school" dynamic pricing model in which you mark the vehicle way up and bargain from there over market based pricing in where the vehicle is priced on or close to the true value and the dealer makes up for it with higher volume sales.

It's time to take the "Show On The Road" so to speak....

Old 07-06-2020, 06:09 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
I live in a place where there is typically one dealer per manufacturer within 50 miles and the dealers think they've got a captive audience and try to put a 'market price adjustment' above MSRP on the majority of vehicles. We saved $5K on our last car purchase by going to a big city with multiple dealers of the same make competing against each other and felt lie it was so very worth it.

Old 07-07-2020, 05:05 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,656,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post

Someone forgot to tell the used truck sellers it may be a buyers market with all that's going on. Prices seem high as ever and good trucks don't last long, new one's come on the market every day though.
If prices are high and good trucks sell fast even at those high prices, it may not actually be a buyer's market.

Old 07-07-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
If prices are high and good trucks sell fast even at those high prices, it may not actually be a buyer's market.
It's hard to tell sometimes. I am going nation wide, dialing in specific parameters (make/model/options/color/etc) and "skimming off the top" to the best trucks, most reputable dealers, best carfax, market based pricing over dynamic, etc.

But 2+2 is not equaling 4 overall with what I'm reading regarding a good time to buy in comparison to pricing overall. Pickup trucks tend to be in a league all their own it seems.

Old 07-07-2020, 08:57 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I bought one from a dealer two hours away, simply drove there with my trade, made the deal I wanted and drove it home. That was a new one. For used, I would not buy sight unseen and have it shipped. I did that once and regretted it, with a classic (1963 Ranchero) that was not nearly as described. It was only $1,500 though, and $200 shipping, just took longer and cost more to restore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive