Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 07:05 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,056,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
I like them. What I don’t care about is a sunroof.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
If I were in the market for a new car that feature would be on the list, although not at the very top (that slot goes to a sunroof/moonroof).
The moonroof/sunroof preference was going to be my next question, LOL...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUtoTX View Post
I'm still trying to envision "prickly heat" the seats gave your wife, did it tan her hide too? I'd love to see a picture.
That was a benign example I posted, the characters in the plot were not real. My GF and I presently do not have tanned hides or prickly heat... Example was based on some reports they can cause a variety of problems from skin conditions to infertility. I suspect if any of these conditions would manifest it would be caused by over use or mis-use of the seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We had heated seats in Ohio and loved them. Fast forward to coastal Georgia and we still love them. Not because it’s ever cold, but because we’re old and have arthritis.
Good point! I'm getting older myself so a bonus going forward with these seats. Many posters mention a massage feature I didn't even realize was an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2020, 05:37 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,612,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post

- Engines powerful enough to get that POS out of its own way, standard. My 1981 Mercury Capri (Mustang) had a 2.4L (or so), 100hp inline(?) 4. That's just how it was. It was a dog, but usable, and we did. Hell, my 1989 BMW 325iC had that famous inline 6, 2.5L BMW engine and only made maybe 160hp. That was 'fast' and that sucker would actually spool up to a buck ten or so and hold it there if you wanted.
That was not a problem with American vehicles pre-late-1970s. Engine power went downhill/backwards as the 1970s progressed.

Old 07-09-2020, 06:02 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,246,203 times
Only time I used a heated seat was on a trip back from a hiking where I hurt my back. Turned on the back seat burner and it actually helped. But for cold weather....never.

Cooled seats....all the time in the summer. However, I prefer the standard air cooler vs the AC cooled seats. The AC cooled seats made your butt feel wet when you got out, whereas, the one that just blow air up your rump don't.

Old 07-09-2020, 06:10 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,038,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
The moonroof/sunroof preference was going to be my next question, LOL...

That was a benign example I posted, the characters in the plot were not real. My GF and I presently do not have tanned hides or prickly heat... Example was based on some reports they can cause a variety of problems from skin conditions to infertility. I suspect if any of these conditions would manifest it would be caused by over use or mis-use of the seats.

Good point! I'm getting older myself so a bonus going forward with these seats. Many posters mention a massage feature I didn't even realize was an option.

Here is a list of the 15 best massage seats available, written back in 2015 but my guess is there aren't too many changes since then. At least it gives you a starting point that is more comparison based than all our opinions.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/best...-car-business/

I'm not a big fan of sunroof/moonroof technology.
(I guess I'm old school, if you don't want something to eventually leak, don't put a hole in it where the rain hits.)

BUT, if you want heated/cooled/massage seats, and heated steering wheel, you are normally forced to take a sunroof/moonroof in the package.

As I aged, I took, old bones, arthur-itis, finicky personality, need for extra comfort, a bit of extra cash available, etc into consideration when I bought a vehicle equipped with all of those features.

40K later it turns out to be the best decision I ever made regarding vehicle purchase. The heated steering wheel is superb, the heated and massage seats are perfect for my old bones (my boys love them too and constantly figure out reasons to borrow the truck).
I seldom use the A/C feature even though I live in an area where 90+ degrees during the summer is the norm, but on the few times I used the feature it was welcome.
The Sunroof/Moonroof was part of the package and a necessary evil (IMHO) if I wanted this vehicle.

I did mitigate my initial expense by purchasing the 1 1/2 year old F150 Platinum used with just over 10K on the odometer.
Sticker shock would have forced me away from a new one, but this one was too good to pass up. (sadly, the owner died and his wife wanted it gone, happily I was there with the cash)

DISCLAIMER: Now that the warranty has expired, my opinion may change if all these bells and whistles stop performing as intended and begin eating into my wallet.

Old 07-09-2020, 07:28 AM

15,789 posts, read 20,483,047 times
I have the heated/cooled seats in my car, and love them. I use them all the time. It's great that they are tied into the remote start function on my car so in the summer, it turns on the seat cooling, and in the winter, the seat heating. No more getting into a hot car with roasting black leather seats.

The heated/cooled seats usually use a peltier device to provide the cooling/heating. Some use electrical heating elements in addition, but if it's solely a peltier device than one should understand how they work. They do not use the vehicles A/C system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_cooling

So really, part of the effectiveness depends on ambient temp of the vehicle. If you turn on seat cooling on a hot day with a hot interior and don't put the A/C on, you won't notice much of a difference as it's taking ambient temp and trying to lower that. Now, if you get on the highway and blast the AC and your interior is chilled to 65 degrees, you'll notice your behind getting frosted out. It's more effective if ambient temp is much lower.

Anyway, with regards to the heat/cooled (ventilated) seats, I love it and will try to get them on any future vehicle I own along with keyless ignition.

Old 07-09-2020, 08:50 AM

30,623 posts, read 18,203,012 times
I do not own and do not see the need for heated seats; I've never had an issue with being cold in the car once the heat was one.

Cooled seats, on the other hand, would be welcome, especially as I don't want my clothes being ruined with sweat once I sit down in a super hot and muggy car.

Old 07-09-2020, 08:57 AM

3,374 posts, read 1,964,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
like both the heated and cooling seats, my glove box is also cooled for drinks and food.
Now that's a nice feature! I have cooled/heated/massage seats and I use those features but a cooled glove box would be ideal. I'll have to remember that the next time I buy a car.

Old 07-09-2020, 08:58 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,319,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I do not own and do not see the need for heated seats; I've never had an issue with being cold in the car once the heat was one.
Heated seats and steering wheel take the edge off nearly instantly instead of waiting 5-10 minutes for the heat to come up. This is especially nice when the temps are sub-freezing and your commute is 15 minutes long (where you really don't have heat in the car until you're almost there). But they also are nice in a convertible on a brisk spring or fall evening with the top down.

And for an EV, heated seats mean warmth without using any range (resistive heaters use up a LOT of power)

I won't even buy a daily driver that doesn't have them now.

Same with a sunroof/moonroof or whatever you want to call it. If I can't have a convertible with the top down, I want to be able to open up the sunroof and let the sky in. Even going so far as to install a Webasto power sunroof in my '13 Volt (that was never offered with one).

Old 07-09-2020, 09:12 AM

22,327 posts, read 29,411,685 times
Heated and cooled seats in my hooptie. Yes, I like them

Old 07-09-2020, 02:42 PM

957 posts, read 2,020,753 times
i like them, and strongly prefer them.

Keep in mind, in many (but not all) cars, the "cooled" seats are only "vented" seats. There's a fan that will bring colder air from under the seat (because hot air rises) and blow that through the seats with a fan. It helps a little, particularly if you are sweating or something, just the air blowing is nice, but it won't make a massive difference. Some actually run the air through a cooler of some sort first. Understand which one your car has and set expectations accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive