Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 02:45 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,515,138 times

Advertisements

It’s not something I require in a car, but it’s nice to have. I currently drive a truck that doesn’t fit in my garage, so the cab is always hot in this weather. The vented seats automatically run if its 80+ outside. Heated seats and steering wheel are nice to have in winter, no more worrying about gloves I can safely drive in. I had massage seats on my last vehicle and they were great, definitely missing those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2020, 04:19 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,060,166 times
Thanks to everyone for the input/opinions/info/links/etc...

Am reading all. My GF is also car shopping and we test drove a used Lexus RX-350 the other day on a hot/humid day. I was a passenger and switched on the seat cooling to #2 out of 3 settings. Like folks say it is more ventilation than cooling, but it definitely improved the comfort level. The AC was set to about 65 degrees in the cabin.

Haven't tried it in a truck yet. Will have to consider massage and heated steering wheel, up to now I didn't even know they existed.

Seems a sellers market so far in truck shopping, but the good news is trim levels depreciate right along with the make/model as years go by. So that Tundra Limited or F-150 Limited/Lariat/Platinum, etc is a real bargain compared to what it would be new measuring against new base models.

Old 07-09-2020, 04:31 PM

30,640 posts, read 18,242,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Heated seats and steering wheel take the edge off nearly instantly instead of waiting 5-10 minutes for the heat to come up. This is especially nice when the temps are sub-freezing and your commute is 15 minutes long (where you really don't have heat in the car until you're almost there). But they also are nice in a convertible on a brisk spring or fall evening with the top down.

And for an EV, heated seats mean warmth without using any range (resistive heaters use up a LOT of power)

I won't even buy a daily driver that doesn't have them now.

Same with a sunroof/moonroof or whatever you want to call it. If I can't have a convertible with the top down, I want to be able to open up the sunroof and let the sky in. Even going so far as to install a Webasto power sunroof in my '13 Volt (that was never offered with one).
I don't doubt that heated seats and steering wheels work for some. My car heats up to a good temperature within a minute of turning the heat, so it's never really been an issue for me.

Old 07-09-2020, 04:35 PM

3,430 posts, read 1,844,219 times
I have them but never use them.

They don't really feel as amazong as you would think. Never had a COOLED seat.

Honestly.. Just made sure it worked and it felt "okay" once but.. Not needed.

Old 07-09-2020, 05:32 PM

1,877 posts, read 2,237,341 times
We live in southern California where neither heater nor cooled seats are necessary, but they sure are nice to have. We've only had heated seats in our more recently acquired cars and are more useful since these cars have electric motors. It is more energy-efficient and range-friendly to use the heated seats as means of warmth rather than using the resistance heater in the HVAC system to heat the air.

Cooled seats would be nice for me, but it's not a must-have feature for me. I also wouldn't pay more than a $500 premium to have them.

Old 07-09-2020, 05:55 PM

17,318 posts, read 22,065,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
More blingy stuff to maintain/break.

Come on, a good HVAC-system is plenty!
I'm 100K miles deep on 2 vehicles with a/c seats and neither let me down so far....... once you have it you will want it!

Old 07-09-2020, 05:56 PM

17,318 posts, read 22,065,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Thanks to everyone for the input/opinions/info/links/etc...

Seems a sellers market so far in truck shopping, but the good news is trim levels depreciate right along with the make/model as years go by. So that Tundra Limited or F-150 Limited/Lariat/Platinum, etc is a real bargain compared to what it would be new measuring against new base models.
I shopped a Tundra Platinum specifically because of the cooled seats, dealer didn't have one.......I left.

Old 07-09-2020, 11:25 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,211,264 times
Experienced cooled for the first time in the back of a Lincoln chauffered car. Absolutely fantastic.

Old 07-10-2020, 03:31 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,256,608 times
My wife’s Audi has heated, cooled and massaging seats. Amazing especially on longer drives. My BMW has none of these (doesn’t have the cold weather package) and aside from the coldest days or hottest days it’s not an issue. None of the cars I had growing up had it and I somehow survived.

Old 07-10-2020, 04:32 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,623,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28lt1 View Post
i like them, and strongly prefer them.

Keep in mind, in many (but not all) cars, the "cooled" seats are only "vented" seats. There's a fan that will bring colder air from under the seat (because hot air rises) and blow that through the seats with a fan. It helps a little, particularly if you are sweating or something, just the air blowing is nice, but it won't make a massive difference. Some actually run the air through a cooler of some sort first. Understand which one your car has and set expectations accordingly.
Ventilated seats draw ambient air from the vehicle cabin into the seat trim cover. Ventilated seats do not blow air. Cooled seats blow cool air upward/outward from the seat toward the occupant. For maximum efficiency with vented seats, you need to have the vehicle windows closed and the vehicle A/C on high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive