Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 08:05 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,060,166 times

Advertisements

Do you presently have or used to have heated or heated/cooled seats? Do you like them, would you get them again, etc? Deciding on whether to factor them into my search, a few response suggestions below...

A. I HATE them! They literally tanned my hide and gave my wife permanent prickly heat. They can be downright dangerous for Pete's sake. Would NEVER get them again...

B. I LOVE them! Cold winter mornings and/or hot humid summer days there's nothing like them. Would never own a vehicle going forward that did not have them...

C. I like them but quite honestly don't use them much. My budget pie might have fared better slicing these types of seats off to save money, or have gone with other trim levels more suited to my needs at a parallel price point...

D. Don't have them now but wish I did, will try to acquire them going forward...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2020, 08:13 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,675,105 times
I just bought a new car with heated/cooled seats. I've tried the cooling function since it's summer now (over 100 deg outside where I live). I honestly couldn't tell the difference with the cooling on or off. Big meh so far.

Old 07-08-2020, 08:14 AM

19,041 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Why ask?
It will be YOUR car.
What is YOUR preference?
We are not you.
If buying shoes, will you ask someone else, how they will feel on your feet?
Seating position, seating comfort, your question - all that is perfectly matter of personal preferences.

Make your own decision.

Old 07-08-2020, 08:20 AM

998 posts, read 1,237,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Why ask?
It will be YOUR car.
What is YOUR preference?
We are not you.
Seating position, seating comfort, your question - all that is perfectly matter of personal preferences.

Make your own decision.
exactly. /\ /\

Are you asking because you want other opinions because you're going to buy or are you just asking for the sake of asking. Obviously a lot depends on where you live (and of course the OP doesn't have his location listed) ... heated seats are great in Northern climates and cooled seats are great in southern climates, since many cars come with a "package" that includes both, no big downside.
Some cars I drive have neither, some cars I drive have heated, and some cars I drive have both heated and cooled.

Heated seats are great for convertibles in the shoulder seasons. Mercedes neck scarf is really nice as it blows the hot air on the back of your neck.

Old 07-08-2020, 08:22 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,325,619 times
heated seats are a big deal around my house. In fact, when buying the new Bolt, the only requirements were the DC fast charge and the heated seats/steering wheel. My Volt has them and even my old Suburban has heated seats. It gets down to single digits here in the winter and heated seats in EVs help increase range by allowing you to not have to have the heat in the cabin so high.

Old 07-08-2020, 08:26 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,055,843 times
I have heated/cooled and massage in one of my vehicles. The heat is nice in the winter, the cooling doesn't get used much, but the massage is the best! As I age, the bones get stiff sitting for an hour or more, the massage limbers them up and makes walking tolerable once I park.

Old 07-08-2020, 08:37 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Heated/cooled in the Jeep
Heated in my Infiniti

I only use the cooled and it wasn’t even an option in my Infiniti

Old 07-08-2020, 08:37 AM

194 posts, read 306,258 times
I will always want heated seats and steering wheel. Cooled, not so much, though I have used it in my husband's pickup on very hot days. It does make a difference, but I don't need it very long. On the other hand, even in hot Texas, I use my seat heat almost daily. It feels so good on a tired back when on the way home!

Old 07-08-2020, 08:58 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,151,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Why ask?
It will be YOUR car.
What is YOUR preference?
We are not you.

Make your own decision.
Most sense to be found in the thread, thank you.

My 2013 Land Cruiser, bought used by me in 2019, had heated seats and steering wheel plus bunch of other cool stuff from mild to truly soft (360 cameras being the latter). Heated wheel is still a bit unusual and I didn't need it last (mild) winter in Seattle. In fact I dare say that heated seats were designed for PacNW, so to speak, for most people to ease the chill.

On Winter days when it's truly cold, or even really chilly (30s-40s F), those butt warmer seats are beloved by all. It's that simple. But I could live without them, or rather did from 1970s as a kid to my 1996 BMW 540i Sport, my first luxury vehicle. I had one added to driver's seat in my 2007 Tacoma, when I had upholstery work done anyway. Liked that just fine, but I was not dying without it first nine years and 90K miles.

Like most options, they're becoming the norm. Five examples of that, 1950s-today, due to tech innovation and lowered cost:

- Air conditioning was once an option, my dad harped on "always get this" for both residual value and comfort. The fact that 1970s cars could not RUN the AC, with a full load, in hot weather, without overheating the engine was an engineering flaw. In fact the bulk of American cars built in the 1970s were despicable rolling "engineering flaws."

- Power locks: I remember this coming in, into the 1980s. First car that had that was our c. 1981 Chrysler LeBaron, a re-badged K-body that was actually a tolerable if bland car with lots of cool options.

- Backup cameras: didn't see this until the 2010s as standard, though may now be law. A GREAT law.

- Power windows, I used the crank until aforementioned LeBaron. Haven't seen a crank since early 1980s.

- Engines powerful enough to get that POS out of its own way, standard. My 1981 Mercury Capri (Mustang) had a 2.4L (or so), 100hp inline(?) 4. That's just how it was. It was a dog, but usable, and we did. Hell, my 1989 BMW 325iC had that famous inline 6, 2.5L BMW engine and only made maybe 160hp. That was 'fast' and that sucker would actually spool up to a buck ten or so and hold it there if you wanted.

The 1990s solved all that, even my 2013 Land Cruiser has a 5.7L, 380hp 350ft/lb torque engine stock, and by any measure is a "quick" vehicle despite it's bulk. In the 1980s the 80-series had big inline 6s, see "can't get out of their own way" personified.

Old 07-08-2020, 09:04 AM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
like both the heated and cooling seats, my glove box is also cooled for drinks and food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive