Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Base model X vs Fully loaded Aviator grand touring
Base model X 8 29.63%
Fully loaded Aviator Grand touring 19 70.37%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 12:40 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,407,537 times

Advertisements

Let’s say you earned at least $120k per year, Which vehicle would you rather lease with $10K down.
A base Tesla Model X-$87k
A fully loaded Aviator Grand Touring (Black Label)-$88k before dealer discounts
I like the traditional luxury appeal of the Aviator, and you can talk your Lincoln dealer to provide more attractive deals (They have management incentive programs for certain companies). I just wish it had more electric miles. If they reached 40 EV miles, that would be ideal for most families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2020, 01:19 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,330,956 times
I'd never put money down on a lease.

But of the two, the Aviator. Only X I'd get is a P100D and it's too much money new. The Aviator would do for most of my errand running in electric mode, and still be comfy for longer trips.

Old 10-06-2020, 02:10 PM

21,872 posts, read 25,187,651 times
Aviator is rated 21 miles EV range for the PHEV, which is pretty short. It's also roughly $10,000 more than a comparable non-PHEV. Just my two cents, but it's not worth $10,000. It's quicker, but the regular one is probably fast enough already. Just not the type of vehicle where a 5 second versus 6 second 0-60 really matters. It's no X5M or GLE 63.

I also don't think I'd go for the Black Label. AWD Reserve, somewhere between $60 and 75k depending on options would be what I would go for. It gets very pricey with options. Could be worth it but given how quickly the price goes up, I'd really have to evaluate those individually. Some of them are just highway robbery. $2,100 for a wireless charging pad, phone as a key, and a HUD. Skip. Others like the $2,400 for air suspension, $2,000 for LED headlights vs the standard LED headlights, $3,300 for luxury package (seats, upgraded audio, rear sunshades) may or may not be worth it. You can price a Reserve II up to basically Black Label prices, and then just might as well get a Black Label if the "theme" interiors float your boat since they're not really any more expensive and distinct. But you're looking at maybe $65,000 for a Reserve I with a few options versus $80,000 for a Black Label. Just depends. IHSS gives the standard LED headlights a marginal rating (~175 feet) vs good for the upgraded ones (~200 feet), plus all the swiveling stuff which is harder to just put a single number on. I'd really need take them both out at night and see but I can see paying for better headlights. Most of the other stuff I think I'd be happy with the base model. Mostly I just listen to Spotify, podcasts, and audiobooks. Make guess is that I'd be happy enough with the base seats and base audio, but those 30-way adjustable seats could be fantastic and I do appreciate a good audio system. The only Aviator I've been in was a Reserve II, was only in it briefly as a passenger. It's very nice but without comparing it with a more basic one I couldn't comment on whether or not it was actually worth an extra $15,000.

Old 10-06-2020, 02:42 PM

1,877 posts, read 2,240,348 times
It would depend on my driving and utility needs. Tesla ownership is not always so rosy; there are some people who have had perfect cars for over 100K miles and there are many of us how have to deal with impacted Service Centers where it can take a month to get an appointment and another 3 weeks before the service is completed (supply-chain has always been an issue). If you have extra vehicles around then it's less of an issue, but keep in mind that the Model X has been dinged as Tesla's least reliable model (rushed production and falcon door issues were common).

If you're driving more than 100 miles in a day, the winter months of driving might give you range anxiety when the temperature drops below 40F (learn to use the heated seats and to charge/condition your car before leaving the morning).

But if it were just me earning $120K a year, I'd look into buying a used reliable commuter car for ~$10K and a truck/SUV for utility. Our Tesla Model S is a few hundred miles away from being out of warranty and I'll break the piggy bank if I face a few repairs...after that, oddly parting the car is worth more than the car as a whole.

Old 10-06-2020, 02:49 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,730,578 times
maybe this is crazy but i dont think that a person earing $120k a year should be buying/leasing an $80k car.

im sure i wouldnt pay the premium to have 21 miles of battery life.

Old 10-06-2020, 05:07 PM

133 posts, read 211,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
maybe this is crazy but i dont think that a person earing $120k a year should be buying/leasing an $80k car.

im sure i wouldnt pay the premium to have 21 miles of battery life.
You are not crazy - I don't think a person who makes 120K a year should even buy a 40K car

Old 10-06-2020, 05:36 PM

Well, I said at least $120 k, because after taxes you may just have enough to lease a car like this and afford your basic needs.
Of course, Most people buying a car in this class are pulling in close to $250 K. Those making $120k in my area usually drive brand new car from a mainstream brand, or a CPO vehicle from a luxury brand. The most common cars I see are brand new Fusion hybrid or CPO BMW’s.

Old 10-06-2020, 05:37 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,931,396 times
None of the above

- no lease

- neither of those cars.

Old 10-06-2020, 05:46 PM

2,778 posts, read 5,171,517 times
For these money I'd buy a second hand Porsche 911, at least the fun and value are there.

Old 10-06-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
For these money I'd buy a second hand Porsche 911, at least the fun and value are there.
Oh yeah, I certainly would do the same .
It’s just that 3 row luxury SUV’s are so hot with families these days, so I’m curious to know what people would rather buy. The X5 sells more units than a Mustang despite costing twice as much, but if given a choice I’d take the mustang GT and also add the PP2 package. As for kids, my 10 year old nephew loves engine sounds and looking under the hood, he will enjoy the Sunday drive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive