Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you adjusted your driving style due to recent gas prices?
Yes, I've changed my driving habits 25 25.00%
No, haven't. 65 65.00%
Sometimes, not Always 10 10.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2022, 10:57 AM

3,252 posts, read 1,700,488 times

Advertisements

Recently I did notice a difference in traffic speeds but have not noticed much change in other gas wasting routines.

I still notice a lot of folks idling their cars with the A/C running.

What I've seen is a decrease in traffic speed on the highways, more people slowing down around 60mph vs 75mph on old fast sections of the highways.

A lot of people with windows wide open instead of running their AC.

Not less traffic overall, still about the same amount of traffic.

More hybrids and EVs being used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2022, 11:49 AM

17,335 posts, read 12,292,973 times
Since my only driving is really weekend pleasure cruising in the convertible as I work from home...no change.

Old 06-06-2022, 12:05 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,368,328 times
No, only working at the office 2 days a week, so using less gas than ever before. What we save on commute we use on pleasure driving. I also noted that traffic is still moving at 70-72 MPH on the freeways, 60 MPH speed limit. No one is going slower to save gas around here. It seems that for most of us it's just not a big deal at $5, especially since it's been $4 before. Maybe $6-8 will make a difference?

Old 06-06-2022, 12:21 PM

17,369 posts, read 22,129,655 times
Nope.........I buy 100 gallons of fuel a week in my household. If the price is up $2 then it is costing me $10,000 a year more than before. That being said, I've been reading up on electric vehicles a lot more too!

Old 06-06-2022, 03:16 PM

2,464 posts, read 2,489,584 times
There won't be much of a change until driver's get their credit cards maxed out. I have no idea what percent of gas is purchased on credit, but I'd bet it's way over 50%.

Old 06-06-2022, 04:06 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,898,255 times
Not really. Driving is an important part of my life and I will drive the way I want to drive. Other people spend excessive amounts on name-brand new clothing, shoes, jewelry, watches, alcohol (WIne or Scotch), pets/pet care products, fancy kitchens and/or appliances that they rarely or never use, gym memberships or home gym equipment, etc. I spend very little to no money on those things, but I like to drive and I will drive what I want to drive, the way I want to drive. I will cut back on food, eating out, clothing costs, house expenses, and all sorts of things, but I have no intention of turning driving into a tense unpleasant experience to save a few dollars.

While I buy gas on credit cards (to get the 3-5% cash back), I pay off my credit cards the same day I use them, so no likelihood of maxing one out. Besides, it would probably never happen. Credit card companies are always trying to raise my limits. If I ever hit max, they would be all over me to increase thelimit.

Old 06-06-2022, 04:43 PM

17,638 posts, read 17,743,919 times
Since the last time gas was over $4 I’ve been driving to maximize my fuel economy without breaking traffic laws nor inconveniencing other drivers the way some hypermilers do. Will be looking to get a bicycle soon to run short errands in town since most businesses are now within 2 miles from home.

Old 06-06-2022, 10:39 PM

7,906 posts, read 3,885,814 times
I'm a bit easier on the gas pedal. I am a bit surprised at how many cars I still see performing jack rabbit starts at stop lights.

Old 06-07-2022, 05:36 AM

9,525 posts, read 9,850,433 times
I'm shocked to see how many people in threads like these don't seem to care one iota that gas has nearly doubled in the past two years and may even triple or quadruple soon.

I don't know if they live in some kind of fantasy world or not, or they just act like they don't care so to impress us on CD that they have all the money in the world.

Gas prices are not going to come down unless the PEOPLE do something about it (and even that is s stretch). We must stop consuming so much. If we adjust our driving styles and conserve, the supplies will increase and the costs will go down (hopefully).

But is we say "eh, it doesn't bother me throw away another $100-$200 a month out of my paycheck", then the prices will just keep going up. Remember that it's just not your car that it affects, it is affecting all consumable products you purchase.

Old 06-07-2022, 05:45 AM

17,369 posts, read 22,129,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I'm shocked to see how many people in threads like these don't seem to care one iota that gas has nearly doubled in the past two years and may even triple or quadruple soon.

I don't know if they live in some kind of fantasy world or not, or they just act like they don't care so to impress us on CD that they have all the money in the world.

Gas prices are not going to come down unless the PEOPLE do something about it (and even that is s stretch). We must stop consuming so much. If we adjust our driving styles and conserve, the supplies will increase and the costs will go down (hopefully).

But is we say "eh, it doesn't bother me throw away another $100-$200 a month out of my paycheck", then the prices will just keep going up. Remember that it's just not your car that it affects, it is affecting all consumable products you purchase.
In my business, one vital product went from $2 a gallon to $4.90. Another product jumped 57% in 7 months. I buy hundreds of gallons of these products PER WEEK, thousands of gallons per month. Can you see how $2 jump in gas doesn't matter to me if I buy 100 gallons a week?

The current administration doesn't care, the "conserve so the prices drop" won't happen. They want to be Robin Hood and steal from the rich and give to the poor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive