Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you adjusted your driving style due to recent gas prices?
Yes, I've changed my driving habits 25 25.00%
No, haven't. 65 65.00%
Sometimes, not Always 10 10.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2022, 10:44 PM

11,848 posts, read 8,062,791 times

Advertisements

I only fill up once every 2 weeks in my Camaro SS which takes about $100 to fill up currently but I only drive it about 6 blocks.. ..my Prius is the car that gets driven.. but costs significantly less to fill up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2022, 01:48 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,898,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
No, the 1000 mile trip there would have been two and a half hours longer (5 30-minute stops. One every 200 miles to get back to 80% each time). How many times did you stop for fuel and pee breaks?
The timing is usually just the time the car needs to sit at the charging station. It does not include the time getting on and off the freeway, driving to and from the charger location and waiting in line. If that is applied, the 2.5 hours quickly becomes 5 hours. Then if a charging station is down or there is a long line it can become quite a bit longer. A lot depends on where you are. Some places the chargers are rarely or never busy. Other places, there is always a line.

Old 06-22-2022, 07:01 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,335,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
The timing is usually just the time the car needs to sit at the charging station. It does not include the time getting on and off the freeway, driving to and from the charger location and waiting in line. If that is applied, the 2.5 hours quickly becomes 5 hours. Then if a charging station is down or there is a long line it can become quite a bit longer. A lot depends on where you are. Some places the chargers are rarely or never busy. Other places, there is always a line.

False. Chargers are now located in interstate rest stops and service areas, so there's about a 10 second time added to "finding" the station, similar to "finding" a gas station on trips. I've never encountered a line, even on holiday weekends. How many EVs have you lived with to get this "fact?"

I wish people with no experience would quit arguing with those that do have experience.

Remember, those of us with EVs have had years of experience with gasoline powered cars to compare with.

Oh, and this weekend I was towing my travel trailer on a road trip and it took quite bit of time off of I95 in MD and Virginia to find a gas station, much less one that could accommodate a 35 foot trailer (it doesn't have much of a turning circle and doesn't fit in most gas stations). After having a blowout on the trailer on the highway in 97 degree weather, I had to take to surface streets to find air to make sure the tires (including the spare) were actually up to pressure. No fun. I'd much prefer to drive the EV on a road trip.

Old 06-22-2022, 07:21 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,368,328 times
Quote:
False. Chargers are now located in interstate rest stops and service areas, so there's about a 10 second time added to "finding" the station, similar to "finding" a gas station on trips. I've never encountered a line, even on holiday weekends. How many EVs have you lived with to get this "fact?"

I wish people with no experience would quit arguing with those that do have experience.

Remember, those of us with EVs have had years of experience with gasoline powered cars to compare with.

Oh, and this weekend I was towing my travel trailer on a road trip and it took quite bit of time off of I95 in MD and Virginia to find a gas station, much less one that could accommodate a 35 foot trailer (it doesn't have much of a turning circle and doesn't fit in most gas stations). After having a blowout on the trailer on the highway in 97 degree weather, I had to take to surface streets to find air to make sure the tires (including the spare) were actually up to pressure. No fun. I'd much prefer to drive the EV on a road trip.
On our 3+ hour road trip Saturday we stopped at several rest areas on I5 between Seattle and Portland. There were plenty of homeless people at them, but no EV charging stations. Nor were there any at the places we stopped in Portland. We did see 5 carriers going north toward Seattle with 8-10 new Teslas on each one.

Old 06-22-2022, 01:31 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,898,255 times
Quote:

No. Not false. That is true in only a few locations. In many areas, interstate rest stops are being closed down due to budget shortfalls and never had EV chargers anyway. I have not had to "live with" an EV to learn the facts. I only needed to go on some longish trip in some EVs and be aware of where charging stations are located and observe the lines and signs. Living with them has nothing to do with long distance travel, in fact it only involves your home. Living with an EV is completely irrelevant for this discussion. Long distance travel has nothing to do with what someone does with their EV at home. Your little part of the country is not the entire world (except possible to you). Further no one can exit a freeway and get to any station in only ten seconds. I have done some long trips in an Ev. I would never do a long trip in one if I were on a schedule. For a vacation tripe where I just like to point my car and go, they might work ok as long as I pointed them in a direction where there are a lot of charging stations and I had no place I needed to be at any particular time. However the availability of timely charging is too unpredictable to be practical outside of known areas or areas where you can confirm in advance that a large number of charging stations are available.

In my immediate area by way of example, there are three charging stations near the main freeway (I-75). One is at a hospital. One is at a Kohl's store. One is in a large multi store and restaurant complex. I have not seen one of them, but the other two often have a line and also often have signs proclaiming that the station is not working. None of them are easy access to the freeway and none of them are easy to find. As you get out away from the city, they become even fewer and harder to find. The few long distance trips I have made in an EV, aside from near cities, charging stations are few and far between, and like my area, they are typically in unusual places - not at service stations. When you get into cities, charging stations are more common and more accessible, but they are also busier. There are lines and sometimes those lines are long. When there are service disruptions or maintenance, the lines get longer. How do I know this? I can see it with my eyes. If you have just three cars in front of you, you are going to wait at least an hour and a half - assuming everyone charges for half an hour. If the car owner leaves the car on the charger while going to eat, or shop, it will take even longer. Few EV drivers sit at the charger waiting for their car to charge. They leave. At times and in some places the chargers are rarely used so you can in fact drive right up and hook up to them. Other places, there are lines. In some places ICE cars park in the charging spaces. I am not sure whether this is an intentional slight to EV drivers or simply someone who could not find other parking available. It is not an easy task to find an available and working charging station in many places. That is why a majority of EV users drive within range of their homes and charge only at home (I think the numbers are 95% charge at home). Sorry to disrupt the fantasy but except in a few densely settled areas (meaning primarily the North East and parts of Californium), EVs are just not practical for multi state trips or trips to less populated areas of larger states). A 10 or 16 hour drive in and EV is a risk endeavor.

I wish people with very limited localized experience would stop arguing with actual facts and consider that their little piece of the world is perhaps not reflective of the entire world. It is a common problem with Coasters. They think they are the center of the world and nothing else exists. However the thickly settled coastal areas are geographically small and if you travel long distances, you will in fact have to travel outside of your bubble into a very different and somewhat scary world.

If you are having trouble with finding gas stations, download Gas buddy or a similar program onto your phone, or even Waze. They will tell you where the gas stations that are close to the freeway ramps are and even give you the prices. Luckily there are so many gas stations that you can always find one right off a ramp that is with in range, even if you are in eastern Colorado or Western Nebraska. You no longer need to get off and drive ten miles into a nearby town looking for gas. Just continue an exit or two.

I do not hate Evs. They are kind of fun. However they are not all that practical yet. They may be one day. What they really need to do is to standardize batteries and make them smaller. Then you can pull in to a gas station, drop your discharged batteries and load in fully charged one in a matter of seconds, the same way you do for propane canisters. No need for costly infrastructure for new charging stations. That will make Evs a lot more practical. Also the discharged batteries can be recharged at night when the demand for electricity is lower.

If I had a bubble commute in a city or a densely populated area, I would love to have an Ev to run around in. They are really fun to drive. However for long distance and especially going to or through rural areas they are not so practical. I do not see EVs ever becoming practical for what i plan for my future, but lots of things can change. In ten years, we may be going in a completely different direction that nobody currently anticipates.

Old 06-22-2022, 02:00 PM

37,237 posts, read 39,519,313 times
Quote:
No. Not false. That is true in only a few locations. In many areas, interstate rest stops are being closed down due to budget shortfalls and never had EV chargers anyway. I have not had to "live with" an EV to learn the facts. I only needed to go on some longish trip in some EVs and be aware of where charging stations are located and observe the lines and signs. Living with them has nothing to do with long distance travel, in fact it only involves your home. Living with an EV is completely irrelevant for this discussion. Long distance travel has nothing to do with what someone does with their EV at home. Your little part of the country is not the entire world (except possible to you). Further no one can exit a freeway and get to any station in only ten seconds. I have done some long trips in an Ev. I would never do a long trip in one if I were on a schedule. For a vacation tripe where I just like to point my car and go, they might work ok as long as I pointed them in a direction where there are a lot of charging stations and I had no place I needed to be at any particular time. However the availability of timely charging is too unpredictable to be practical outside of known areas or areas where you can confirm in advance that a large number of charging stations are available.

In my immediate area by way of example, there are three charging stations near the main freeway (I-75). One is at a hospital. One is at a Kohl's store. One is in a large multi store and restaurant complex. I have not seen one of them, but the other two often have a line and also often have signs proclaiming that the station is not working. None of them are easy access to the freeway and none of them are easy to find. As you get out away from the city, they become even fewer and harder to find. The few long distance trips I have made in an EV, aside from near cities, charging stations are few and far between, and like my area, they are typically in unusual places - not at service stations. When you get into cities, charging stations are more common and more accessible, but they are also busier. There are lines and sometimes those lines are long. When there are service disruptions or maintenance, the lines get longer. How do I know this? I can see it with my eyes. If you have just three cars in front of you, you are going to wait at least an hour and a half - assuming everyone charges for half an hour. If the car owner leaves the car on the charger while going to eat, or shop, it will take even longer. Few EV drivers sit at the charger waiting for their car to charge. They leave. At times and in some places the chargers are rarely used so you can in fact drive right up and hook up to them. Other places, there are lines. In some places ICE cars park in the charging spaces. I am not sure whether this is an intentional slight to EV drivers or simply someone who could not find other parking available. It is not an easy task to find an available and working charging station in many places. That is why a majority of EV users drive within range of their homes and charge only at home (I think the numbers are 95% charge at home). Sorry to disrupt the fantasy but except in a few densely settled areas (meaning primarily the North East and parts of Californium), EVs are just not practical for multi state trips or trips to less populated areas of larger states). A 10 or 16 hour drive in and EV is a risk endeavor.

I wish people with very limited localized experience would stop arguing with actual facts and consider that their little piece of the world is perhaps not reflective of the entire world. It is a common problem with Coasters. They think they are the center of the world and nothing else exists. However the thickly settled coastal areas are geographically small and if you travel long distances, you will in fact have to travel outside of your bubble into a very different and somewhat scary world.

If you are having trouble with finding gas stations, download Gas buddy or a similar program onto your phone, or even Waze. They will tell you where the gas stations that are close to the freeway ramps are and even give you the prices. Luckily there are so many gas stations that you can always find one right off a ramp that is with in range, even if you are in eastern Colorado or Western Nebraska. You no longer need to get off and drive ten miles into a nearby town looking for gas. Just continue an exit or two.

I do not hate Evs. They are kind of fun. However they are not all that practical yet. They may be one day. What they really need to do is to standardize batteries and make them smaller. Then you can pull in to a gas station, drop your discharged batteries and load in fully charged one in a matter of seconds, the same way you do for propane canisters. No need for costly infrastructure for new charging stations. That will make Evs a lot more practical. Also the discharged batteries can be recharged at night when the demand for electricity is lower.

If I had a bubble commute in a city or a densely populated area, I would love to have an Ev to run around in. They are really fun to drive. However for long distance and especially going to or through rural areas they are not so practical. I do not see EVs ever becoming practical for what i plan for my future, but lots of things can change. In ten years, we may be going in a completely different direction that nobody currently anticipates.

Yea, it's not a fit for every one and every trip yet though it has been improving rapidly. What was the EV you used and when? What were the start and destination? Chances are that a relatively recent EV can make that trip pretty easily now even if that wasn't the case a few years ago.

I've mentioned this before, but I think battery swaps for BEVs, as in four wheeled highway-capable consumer vehicles, does not seem likely to outdo DC fast charging.

Old 06-22-2022, 02:57 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,335,021 times
Quote:
Ahh, the old "I rented one so I know everything about them" line of BS. Sorry, Charlie. but no dice. Living with them and making REPEATED road trips in them does, in fact, have relevance to this discussion. It's not about "around the home."

Yes, two and a half years ago, when I bought my most recent one, I couldn't drive down to TN from here. Now I can. Why do I bring this up? Because if your one ****ing rental was more than a year ago, you don't know squat about it. My own corner of the world includes all of the eastern seaboard from Maine to Florida and over to Chicago and down to TN. And I have friends that live with them all over Canada and from Alaska to California.

Again, I have EXTENSIVE experience with gas cars AND have been living with EVs since 2013. Your rental of one is NOT indicative of any facts.

Again, every time of year, all over the eastern half of the country, and no lines, no issues, and they are all along the interstates AND in easily accessed areas.

Yes, West Virginia to Kentucky might be sketchy, but even those distances are 1/3rd of my car's range, so stopping at any of the stations to top off before heading into those areas would make it easy to traverse.

BTW, just as an example, all along I-95 the stations are at service areas and rest stops, where there are gas pumps AND charging stations, a mere 10 seconds off the interstate. So you might want to revise your statement.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/marylan...122-story.html

This is from 2017. It's changed considerably since then and now the charging stations are all over on interstates. Even Red state TN now has them every 50 miles throughout the state. With modern EVs that have 250-300 mile ranges, that's more than close enough at any given time.

Old 06-23-2022, 12:09 PM

10,920 posts, read 4,591,079 times
Quote:
Ahh, the old "I rented one so I know everything about them" line of BS. Sorry, Charlie. but no dice. Living with them and making REPEATED road trips in them does, in fact, have relevance to this discussion. It's not about "around the home."

Yes, two and a half years ago, when I bought my most recent one, I couldn't drive down to TN from here. Now I can. Why do I bring this up? Because if your one ****ing rental was more than a year ago, you don't know squat about it. My own corner of the world includes all of the eastern seaboard from Maine to Florida and over to Chicago and down to TN. And I have friends that live with them all over Canada and from Alaska to California.

Again, I have EXTENSIVE experience with gas cars AND have been living with EVs since 2013. Your rental of one is NOT indicative of any facts.

Again, every time of year, all over the eastern half of the country, and no lines, no issues, and they are all along the interstates AND in easily accessed areas.

Yes, West Virginia to Kentucky might be sketchy, but even those distances are 1/3rd of my car's range, so stopping at any of the stations to top off before heading into those areas would make it easy to traverse.

BTW, just as an example, all along I-95 the stations are at service areas and rest stops, where there are gas pumps AND charging stations, a mere 10 seconds off the interstate. So you might want to revise your statement.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/marylan...122-story.html

This is from 2017. It's changed considerably since then and now the charging stations are all over on interstates. Even Red state TN now has them every 50 miles throughout the state. With modern EVs that have 250-300 mile ranges, that's more than close enough at any given time.

I 80 is one of the most traveled roads in the US, and in PA its a special challenge. I guarantee you, there is not one charger in any PA rest area, let alone I80 and the very few (as shown by your map) that are in the northern tier, are not the most accessible save the 4 ports in the clarion I80 exit for rt68 (walmart parking lot) and only then, you gotta squeeze in between the bags of mulch and fertilizer.

It is not the same. It aint even close. If there was a FRACTION of the proliferation needed to be sustainable, there would be no need for web apps to find chargers.

Not there yet. not even close. some day mebbe. today is not that day. (nor is tomorrow if we are being honest) and being further honest, when the medium is 2% of total sales, no one is exactly trippin over their d***s to get it done EITHER.

Old 06-23-2022, 01:43 PM

3,252 posts, read 1,700,488 times
I parked my car at IKEA Chargepoint, 1 hour of charging gave me 22mis of range for $1.24 vs $4.97 gas.

Old 06-24-2022, 02:11 PM

26,432 posts, read 46,657,478 times
I work more at home and I only put $35 in my tank at one time, which still allows for over a 3/4 tank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive