Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2022, 07:38 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,478,579 times

Advertisements

I recommend also getting something common.

Mustangs are a good recommendation because they are common, lots of people have knowledge to work on them, parts are available, and there are lots of resources. Yes, it's common as a belly button but with the OP not knowing how to wrench that's probably where they want to start.

OP, what's your budget?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2022, 07:56 AM

4,511 posts, read 2,656,277 times
First rule of buying a collector car:

Buy one that someone else already did the restoration.

Second: Buy something common.

Mid 60s Mustang or Falcon (same car under the skin)
Mid 60s to early 70s Chevy Nova or Chevelle
Mid 60s to early 70s Dodge Dart/Plymouth Duster

From about 1972 on, you get into the emission-controlled carburetion systems that are excessively complex and prone to needing constant fiddling. A car where that's been replaced with modern systems would be desirable unless you want to get into the concours stuff.

From 1975, I think, you get into electronic ignition - the early modules were prone to failure, and I don't know but I suspect they are not easy to source at this late date. Again, an old car fitted with modern electronic ignition and fuel systems would be a great choice for a daily driver requiring less work - but it won't be original and it won't judge well at car shows.

In my experience, most of the unscheduled repairs on old cars were NOT matters of the basic drivetrain or chassis - it was always carburetion and ignition that had you out there at 2 am trying to get the thing to carry you to work the next day.

Old 07-07-2022, 08:24 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
The problem is that they are never worth what you must put into them. If you cannot do the work yourself, you either pay someone to do the work or buy one already restored, either way you spend more than the value, unless it's extremely rare and concourse quality. I have had 3 classics, but have worked on my own cars since I was 14 in 1966. The first, and easiest to work on was a 1963 Falcon Ranchero. There are plenty of parts available, and they are not expensive. On that one I replaced the brake system, new leaf springs, wheel and axle bearings, new tires, changed the engine to a good used one, replaced the missing heater plenum, new fuel sending unit and cleaned out the gas tank, and did a lot of body work, before selling it for the same as I had paid for it.

The second was a 1972 El Camino, SS clone. On that one I replaced the exhaust with an oversized with x-pipe, new tonneau cover, front disc brake conversion, all new suspension rubber parts, ball joints, new set of 3 underdash gauges, new tires, new stereo system, rebuilt the transmission. In the 2008 recession I sold that one for half of what I had paid.

Just last January I bought a 1974 Nova, a drivable project, and I'm taking my time with it. So far I have rebuilt the carburetor, replaced the battery tray and got a new battery, new stereo, new spark plug wires and air cleaner, fuel pump, brake work and shock absorbers. I have yet to put on new tires, and paint it (original paint/patina still decent shape) and replace the headliner.

Some of the less expensive running classics were mustangs, but they have taken a recent jump in prices. You may find a decent one for $15-20k, but anything less than that will need work. If you can find one, there may also be more affordable Falcons, and Dodge Darts, with the slant 6 engine. For all classics, a 6 cylinder is cheaper, and a 4 door is much cheaper.

The other big problem is finding someone to do the work. Most shops like Firestone, Midas, and Meineke are not likely to have anyone capable of working on them any more. Specialty shops are charging over $100/hour labor and are way backed up with work.

You might consider taking auto repair classes at community college, and then look for something needing only minor work. I will say that working on a classic car is great fun, satisfying, and it's a thrill to drive.

Old 07-07-2022, 09:25 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,894,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I have always dreamed of owning a classic car - I have a long list of specific makes/models I like, but mostly focused on either a mid-60s Mustang or VW. But I know basically nothing about maintaining cars on my own, beyond the very basics like oil and tires. I have the money to pay someone, but don't want the car to be in the shop 50% of the time. This wouldn't be my primary car, either, since I have a 2021 Subaru Crosstrek for my long and mountainous commute. So it would just be for tooling around on my days off, maybe the occasional road trip down the coast, etc.

Is this an attainable dream, or are the classics only for folks who can do the work themselves? I see elderly wealthy people driving them around here, and just can't imagine they're fixing it on their own. So what would you recommend for us newbies? I'm willing to learn a little about maintenance and repair, but not interested in doing ALL the work ever. I do have a good mechanic already, plus a few friends who might be interested in helping (for pay). Is there any specific make/model I should look at or avoid? And where is the best place to start looking; meaning online, private, or local dealers? Thinking under $30K selling price.
Yes, your dream is attainable. Since you mention early Mustangs, I'll dwell on that for a bit. They are plentiful. You can get a 65 or 66 Mustang hardtop in excellent condition for $20k to $25k these days and then just maintain it. Parts are plentiful for every inch of the car.

Doesn't matter that you are female. I know guys that don't know one end of a wrench from another.

Before you buy one, however, I suggest you join a local Mustang club. There seem to be a couple in the Bay Area. Go to meetings and events. Talk about their cars. Learn all you can. There's plenty of reference material online.

Avoid car dealers like the plague. Private party sales through Auto Trader or Craigslist are better sources. Somebody in a club might sell one at some point or know where there's a good one.

I'd go with the basic 289 V8, not a 6. Convertible if you can afford it. Make sure it's a power top. Some of them came with manual tops that are a pain to operate. AC would be helpful but probably not critical in your area. And before you buy have it thoroughly examined (on a lift) for rust. A car with any rust at all can be a money pit.

Also look into collector car insurance which will allow you to insure the car for a fraction of what you pay for regular insurance. There are many companies that offer it. You typically have to keep the car in a fully enclosed garage to qualify.

Old 07-07-2022, 09:25 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,028,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I have always dreamed of owning a classic car - I have a long list of specific makes/models I like, but mostly focused on either a mid-60s Mustang or VW.

1. But I know basically nothing about maintaining cars on my own,

beyond the very basics like oil and tires. I have the money to pay someone, but don't want the car to be in the shop 50% of the time. This wouldn't be my primary car, either, since I have a 2021 Subaru Crosstrek for my long and mountainous commute. So it would just be for tooling around on my days off, maybe the occasional road trip down the coast, etc.

2. Is this an attainable dream, or are the classics only for folks who can do the work themselves?

3. I see elderly wealthy people driving them around here, and just can't imagine they're fixing it on their own. So what would you recommend for us newbies?

4. I'm willing to learn a little about maintenance and repair, but not interested in doing ALL the work ever.

I do have a good mechanic already, plus a few friends who might be interested in helping (for pay). Is there any specific make/model I should look at or avoid? And where is the best place to start looking; meaning online, private, or local dealers? Thinking under $30K selling price.
I'm going to take a slightly curmudgeonly view here. Classic cars are great, but for most it's a major interest and hobby. A few points above are screaming red flags IMO. Here goes:

1. Major red flag. You need to rectify this. Older cars are far easier to work on then newer models. But maintenance intervals were far shorter. And old cars need to be driven regularly. Sitting in a garage for months is death. You're going to need do some basic tuning stuff - fiddling with carburburation, ignition etc, as other point out. Of course having your own car is a great way to get into it. Others have mentioned good beginner models. But don't think you're going to escape some work. Start reading or take a course in the basics. If the fiddling isn't an enjoyable part of ownership then I'd say it isn't the hobby for you.

2. If you're entirely relying on others I'd say no. I've been at this for decades and never knew anybody that didn't do AT LEAST the basics. Maybe you could get by for a while, but you'd tire of it and sell the car in frustration in a couple years.

3. You'd be amazed how many of those couples DO do work themselves. I'm in a couple mercedes clubs comprised of (what appear to be!) wealthy old people. In fact virtually all of them DO do the work themselves. They'll do 6 months of garage work just to get the car ready for next club event.

4. See (1) and (2) above. Short story: I've got a buddy who is very much like yourself like yourself. His passion is '60s pickups. He finally got a nice one. It's fun to drive around on sunny days! He's living the dream! Glamour! Street cred! But he's not interested in learning much of anything, instead he calls me. And there's always some little thing that needs doing. I eventually tired of it and told him he either needed to learn to solve the problems or find a mechanic to do it. The truck has just sat for a year and he's selling it. The point is, behind all those fun old cars you see, there's almost always somebody that enjoys the problem solving and quiet garage work needed to keep it on the road.

A final thought: whatever you end up with, get the best one you can - something is good shape, already running properly. A beautiful "garage find" that has been sitting for years is certain to have endless issues just getting it to run right. And do some browsing on ******************
https://******************/listing/1...ia-special-12/

Good luck!

Old 07-07-2022, 09:30 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,028,492 times
Link above didn't work

This didn't either. Try this.

Last edited by kletter1mann; 07-07-2022 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: bad link

Old 07-07-2022, 09:56 AM

6,416 posts, read 3,131,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The problem is that they are never worth what you must put into them. If you cannot do the work yourself, you either pay someone to do the work or buy one already restored, either way you spend more than the value, unless it's extremely rare and concourse quality.......

Some of the less expensive running classics were Mustangs, but they have taken a recent jump in prices. You may find a decent one for $15-20k, but anything less than that will need work. If you can find one, there may also be more affordable Falcons, and Dodge Darts, with the slant 6 engine. For all classics, a 6 cylinder is cheaper, and a 4 door is much cheaper.

The other big problem is finding someone to do the work. Most shops like Firestone, Midas, and Meineke are not likely to have anyone capable of working on them any more. Specialty shops are charging over $100/hour labor and are way backed up with work.

You might consider taking auto repair classes at community college, and then look for something needing only minor work. I will say that working on a classic car is great fun, satisfying, and it's a thrill to drive.
Well stated!

I used to work with a fellow who owned a '67 Mustang. He bought it as a decent running, good condition car, I think in the early 80s, because he always like the early Mustangs. He had two serious issues, however. Number one was that he had only very basic mechanical skills, and number two, he didn't have a suitable place to work on it, even if he had the knowledge and tools. He had the use of a single car garage, I seem to recall it was at his parent's home, but they didn't want him disassembling the car there. It was simply a safe place to keep it.

Therefore, anytime the car needed to be "fiddled with", it was off to the shop.....

Old 07-07-2022, 11:37 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,071,862 times
Join a classic car club. See what they are saying/doing/talking about. Helps to build a network and then go for it. Don't be afraid....60's, 70's cars in the US, if well restored/maintained, can be delightful vehicles just to tool around with in your spare time. Costs relatively little to own a well done restoration and you get a ton of enjoyment. Plus you meet a LOT of very nice people.

Old 07-07-2022, 12:19 PM

858 posts, read 680,425 times
For your first classic steer clear of models that were only made for one or two years or in very limited numbers.

And it is always better to buy someone else's labor and work and make your own changes than buying a beater.

Old 07-07-2022, 12:43 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,478,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post

And it is always better to buy someone else's labor and work
Not necessarily. Too many professional hacks in the industry. The problem with buying someone's elses work is you don't know if you are buying someone else's headache, or their Labor of Love. If you are experienced enough, you can usually tell the difference, but I've often found shoddy work with some of the cars i've wrenched on coming from both shade-tree mechanics and pros.

I'd buy a low-mileage, unmolested garage queen, but those are going for big bucks these days.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 07-07-2022 at 12:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive