Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2022, 12:01 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Opinions do vary, however, I would much rather drive a Mustang than any of those imported cars.

I like cars with a lot of torque!

Have you been to Europe and rented a diesel performance, or even a sports model economy car? Go drive the Alps for a few months and you may be willing to pursue a lighter and very efficient version of torque.

As a heavy haul truck driver, and daily rider of thumpers, I'm kinda keen on torque. I had a lot of muscle cars as a kid, including a hemi Cuda.

For sport driving I make VW GTDs (not imported to USA). Takes a long weekend to do an engine swap. Or about a week to do a TDI swap. (Requires ECU and harness)
Result = very fun and economical (50+ mpg) performance sports car for under $5000, often for under $2000 if not using TDI, just a TD. It will run for 300,000 miles and enjoys drinking free, or home brew fuels.

Not a solution for OP, due to CA (CARB). She should strictly stay pre-1968 to keep the Gestapo out from under her hood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2022, 05:12 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,865,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
I had a friend who had an MG Midget and required the occaisional "come get me".
He referred to his weekend rides in the country as "worshipping at the altar of Lucas, Lord of Darkness".
Spot on.

I saw a T-shirt one that was all black with black letters that said "Lucas Electrical Systems" I really want one, but I cannot find them (probably need working headlights to find one).

Old 07-11-2022, 05:45 AM

17,354 posts, read 22,099,637 times
Quote:
Opinions do vary, however, I would much rather drive a Mustang than any of those imported cars.

Especially a:

1966 Mustang 289/271 hp

1968 Mustang 390

1968 Mustang 428

I like cars with a lot of torque!
Yeah but drive a new 5.0 and it will smoke anything you listed with the a/c running and the surround sound stereo blaring. The old "muscle" cars seem slow/clunky compared to the new stuff.

Old 07-11-2022, 05:57 AM

6,475 posts, read 3,167,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Yeah but drive a new 5.0 and it will smoke anything you listed with the a/c running and the surround sound stereo blaring. The old "muscle" cars seem slow/clunky compared to the new stuff.
I agree! My first brand new car was a 1971 Chevelle SS454. I got it on a "killer deal", as a left-over '71, as the '72s were being delivered to the dealer. However, whom ever ordered it for dealer stock forgot to outfit it with power steering....that was probably why it was "left-over". Yeah, it was pretty quick, in a straight line, but with the heavy steering, as well as a clutch pedal that practically needed both feet, to push it in, the poor car literally drove like a truck.

I kept it for two years, then rather regretfully traded it off for something else......something else with power steering and an automatic transmission.

Old 07-11-2022, 11:30 AM

24,512 posts, read 33,334,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
But the OP wants a classic car.

For many, the old muscle cars have a feel that can't be duplicated with modern cars. Such as the roar of an unsilenced air filter. Also, every make had muscle cars that could run in the 13s. That is not "slow." Yes, I know there are cars like the Challenger Hellcat but it needs a supercharger to run the times it does and is not an affordable hi-po car.

Old 07-11-2022, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I agree! My first brand new car was a 1971 Chevelle SS454. I got it on a "killer deal", as a left-over '71, as the '72s were being delivered to the dealer. However, whom ever ordered it for dealer stock forgot to outfit it with power steering....that was probably why it was "left-over". Yeah, it was pretty quick, in a straight line, but with the heavy steering, as well as a clutch pedal that practically needed both feet, to push it in, the poor car literally drove like a truck.

I kept it for two years, then rather regretfully traded it off for something else......something else with power steering and an automatic transmission.
I have dozens of vintage car magazines. Rarely, if ever, did I read about complaints about the clutch on a SS 454 Chevelle.

Old 07-11-2022, 01:49 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,865,756 times
Quote:
I have dozens of vintage car magazines. Rarely, if ever, did I read about complaints about the clutch on a SS 454 Chevelle.
I remember having to use two feet. I only weighed 65 pounds and my legs were small and not that powerful, so two feet it was.

Old 07-11-2022, 03:47 PM

6,475 posts, read 3,167,043 times
Quote:
I had read hundreds of car magazines, prior to buying that Chevelle, and no, they didn't mention it, either. However, A) I'm pretty sure that most HD clutches of the day were similar to that, so it was considered normal, and B) No matter what the magazines may have said or not said, I had one sitting in my driveway....

Old 07-11-2022, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I had read hundreds of car magazines, prior to buying that Chevelle, and no, they didn't mention it, either. However, A) I'm pretty sure that most HD clutches of the day were similar to that, so it was considered normal, and B) No matter what the magazines may have said or not said, I had one sitting in my driveway....
I'm sure it was common. Actually, quite a few times, those car magazines preferred the Mopar Torqueflite automatic to the Mopar 4-speed manual. For the same reason... the clutch pedal and/or hard shifting.

Fortunately, the muscle cars, in most cases, gave you a choice of manual or automatic.

Old 07-12-2022, 12:27 AM

8,570 posts, read 10,994,797 times
To the op, there are still many of these available, not in the shape this one is, but that is the fun of owning, and restoring a classic.
I sold this one a few years ago because I wanted a Corvette.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/memb...uy-434734.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive