Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 07:40 AM

110 posts, read 323,031 times

Advertisements

Interesting article today about people who drive in the left lane and hold up traffic:
Left-lane slowpokes drive you crazy? - MSN Money

One of my biggest peeves are the truckers who will cause what I like to call a "clusterf#ck" on 2 lane interstate highways. You end up with one truck in the right lane and people racing up to it to cut off those in the left lane waiting for the offending trucker to get out of the way. At the end you just have 2 backed-up lanes of traffic and a bunch of po'd motorists! The classic "clusterf#ck" can last for many many miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 07:51 AM

13 posts, read 42,605 times
Ha ha yeah i'm with you on that I agree it really pisses me off when people drive in the left lane! I wounder how so many people actually got their drivers licences! I always pass in the left lane and even if there is no one waiting to get around me i will get into the right lane! just like i learned when i was 16 just starting to drive! Is it really that hard or are people just plain dumb!!!!

Old 12-10-2008, 07:51 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,718,851 times
I have no qualms with trucks in the left lane, they are inherently cumbersome and slow... when I get real pissed off is when some stupid idiot in a regular car or pickup is lolly gagging in the left lane with everyone backed up behind them.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:14 AM

886 posts, read 5,716,408 times
They need to die.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:19 AM

93 posts, read 165,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usafracer View Post
They need to die.
More like eat $h!t and die.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:19 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
Left lane slowpokes chap my tail as well.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:02 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,268,829 times
It wouldn't be so bad if they wouldn't drive next to someone in the right hand lane driving the EXACT SAME FREAKING SPEED!

Old 12-10-2008, 09:24 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,537,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsundevil99 View Post
Interesting article today about people who drive in the left lane and hold up traffic:
Left-lane slowpokes drive you crazy? - MSN Money

One of my biggest peeves are the truckers who will cause what I like to call a "clusterf#ck" on 2 lane interstate highways. You end up with one truck in the right lane and people racing up to it to cut off those in the left lane waiting for the offending trucker to get out of the way. At the end you just have 2 backed-up lanes of traffic and a bunch of po'd motorists! The classic "clusterf#ck" can last for many many miles.
While there are truckers that could use better judgement when passing (And I'm being charitable here...) There's usually a "rest of the story" and this situation is no different.

I wish every one of you could sit in the passenger seat as I drive my rig on a road with rolling hills like I-81 or I-71 between Louisville and Cincinnati. It requires more than a litlle skill, guesswork and luck to pass another truck on a road like that. (Actually, a flat road isn't much better...) Trying to get past another heavily loaded truck isn't easy. And yes, the cars that sneak up on your right side, preventing you from getting back in the right lane again don't help, either.

While I've got the soap box out; if you're tooling along right at the truck speed limit and there's a truck that can't seem to pass, PUH-leeze step on the gas enough to move ahead of him so that he's not having to jump out in the left lane. Most large fleet trucks are governed to around 65 mph. And boy is that frustrating to have a car in front of you that barely maintains a pace ahead of you...

As much as I, too, hate left-lane bandits, there's a couple of reasons that I will purposely grab the left lane in a big truck. Many cities have heavy merges where it really does help things if a truck moves into the left lane until past the merge so that traffic merging onto the highway can get on. Yes, I know it might slow you up a couple of seconds, but I'm looking at the safety of the whole area. Louisville, Ky has a couple of places where that's a good idea; NB I-71 as you curve past the I-264EB merge. I also try to grab the left lane while passing the I-265 on-ramp to I-71, as well. Especially at rush hour.

Sometimes a few moments of patience will save you minutes...

In Zanesville, OH through traffic on I-70 is moved to the left lane; I sure like that idea!

Last edited by Crew Chief; 12-10-2008 at 09:37 AM..

Old 12-10-2008, 09:38 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
In Colorado now it's illegal to cruise in the left lane in light traffic.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:50 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,782,378 times
My pet peeve is when there's someone in the right lane and someone in the left lane and the left laner is taking his sweet time passing the guy on the right or even better....is staying at the same speed as the right laner.

And as an end result you can't get around either of these drivers. All because 1 drive wants to hog up the passing lane. Either pull ahead or fall back behind the guy you thought you wanted to pass but really didn't. Sheesh.

Other than that you could be doing under the limit in the left lane, if the right lane is clear I'll take that path instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive