Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What irretates you the most in traffic
People holding up the left lane 17 23.61%
Drivers that just drive slow in general 13 18.06%
Tailgaters 28 38.89%
Drivers that don't use their turn signals 14 19.44%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 03:16 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,554,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I chose slow in the left lane, but my biggest pet peeve? A-holes that think they own the road and won't move off of it for emergency vehicles that have lights and sirens blaring. Makes me want to drag them out of their vehicles and beat them to a bloody stump. That will send me through the roof like nothing else on the planet.
I'm with ya on "cluelessness around emergency vehicles"!!! Headed South on I-75 in Cincinnati, I saw an ambulance, lights and sirens going, get on the highway as I passed the on-ramp. I was in the right hand lane of the three lane highway. Very light traffic. As the ambo passes me, the car driver in front of me sees the ambulance and slams on the brakes!!! Not "moves to the shoulder and slows to a stop", this friggin clown stops right in the travel lane right in front of my 35 ton truck! I knew the ambulance was headed to a hospital downtown and was not going to get off at the next exit anyway. Talk about a "Pucker Factor 46"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 05:15 PM

498 posts, read 1,458,021 times
If you wanna go the speed limit, get out into the right lane! It's nice that you think you're being a good citizen and all, but the universe can go on without you.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:05 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,183,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
I love it when a road-rager rides my bumper. I make sure to slow way down and there's no way I let them pass me. I laugh when I see their head shake from all the swearing and anger. I am usually 10mph over the limit. But I don't let anybody ride my bumper.
I usually drive 5 under, because then everybody gives me a wide berth.. you would think you'd get tailgated more. Not so. As long as you're not in one of the left lanes..

Old 05-24-2009, 02:01 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,863,369 times
You forget to add the idiots who talk on their cell phones while driving their big SUV's. Hate to say it but it is usually women who do it.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:39 AM

568 posts, read 2,423,088 times
Left Lane Bandits: "Slower traffic keep right" So DO IT!! Half the people I run into in the left lane aren't even doing the speed limit. My ex-wife and I took a roadtrip one time with her best friend and husband. The best friend's husband was driving. He would NOT get out of the left lane for anything. It took everything I had in me to not go off and tell him to move his azz over.

Slow Drivers: As long as they're not holding up the flow of traffic, I don't care. When you're stuck behind a car on a 2-lane highway that's doing 20 mph under the limit and there's no safe passing zone, that's just uncalled for.

Tailgaters: When I'm in one of my trucks and all I can see is the top of your head or maybe your roof or if I'm in one of my cars and I can't see the bottom of your windshield, you better be watching me for brake lights. I'm not one to brake-check someone, but I'll tap my brake lights and start slowing down if you don't get the hint.

Turn Signals: Seriously, people need to figure out what that stick is on the left side of the steering wheel. Unless there is just nobody around me or unless you've done something to tick me off, I always use my signal. I like people to know what I'm doing and it would be nice if others would let me know what they're doing too.

People Who Don't Know What Tailgating Is: I've had more than once where I'm just minding my own business behind someone, not even within 5 car lengths of them, and I see them mouthing in their mirror and start standing on the brakes. WTH? I'm nowhere near you!

Hey, Retard! Your Lane is Ending: We have an expressway here in town that goes from 3 lanes down to 2 at one point. The right lane ends. There are all sorts of signs warning of it, but they can't seem to get it in their heads. I was going through there one day in the middle lane. I had cars in front of me, behind me and to my left. A genius in her new Yukon, jabbering on the phone was in the right lane. The lane ended and she kept going. When she realized she was about to eat guardrail, she started coming over on me. I laid on the horn...nothing. She keeps coming over. I was able to speed up and squeeze by, but it was a matter of a few hairs between her hitting my car. Then she starts laying on the horn and giving me hand gestures and mouthing.

People Who Just HAVE to Pull Out In Front Of You: So, you're driving down the middle lane of a 3 lane road. There's nobody around you for any reasonable distance; nobody in front, behind or to the sides of you. You see the car on the right about to turn off of the side street or a parking lot or whatever and you just KNOW what this mouth breather is about to do. Yup, 2 completely empty lanes, but they have to pull out RIGHT IN FRONT of YOU! They couldn't pick one of the other 2 lanes. They couldn't wait another 5 seconds and pull out behind you. Nope. Gotta be in FRONT of you and to top it all off, they can't find the gas pedal either.

Complete and Utter Inattention and Distraction When Driving: Cell phones, texting, reading, putting on makeup, eating, carrying on a conversation with other passengers...All this stuff and more seems to be more important to most drivers than actually driving the vehicle. I was behind a car this weekend that would speed up, slow down, hit the brakes, jerk around in the lane and everything else. This had to have been the worst driver I've ever seen. The woman was talking to her passenger just as much with her hands as she was with her mouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
While ALL of the poll choices bother me, what REALLY sets me off is that so many Americans don't know how to merge in traffic!!! Whether that rectangular red sign is at the top of the ramp or not, vehicles merging into the highway traffic MUST yield to traffic already on the highway! Waiting until you're at the end of the ramp (and driving 45 mph) to look into your mirror is dangerous. You should've already checked your mirror and found a logical place to blend into the traffic flow. I'll be happy to slow slightly to let you in ahead of me if you've made an honest effort to step on the throttle. But I'm NOT going to risk having the vehicle behind me get into my trunk if you haven't done your part.
Amen!

When I'm merging, I'm looking at the flow of traffic on the road I'm merging to and looking for holes. I'm going as fast as traffic by the time I'm at the end of the ramp so I can slip in and go. I cannot understand why people feel the need to go 30mph down the entrance ramp and then STOP when they get to the end of it! HIT THE GAS, STUPID!!! If I'm the one on the highway, I'm watching you too. If you're doing a reasonable speed and using your blinker, I'll more than happily let you in and give you plenty of room. If you're just creeping along and not using your blinker, sorry, you're on your own.

The drivers' ed. in this country is a joke. You can't say drivers' education because they don't teach a flippin' thing. They teach you how to read signs and they teach you a few laws, but they don't teach you a single thing about actual driving.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:54 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,332,665 times
What annoys me most about traffic? All the other people on the roads. Go away, I want the road to myself.

There's something missing from the list though, and it's the flipside to the "not using your turn signal" option: people who speed up to close the gap when you turn on your signal to switch lanes. I confess to not using my signal in certain instances because in certain traffic conditions you'll never get a chance to change lanes if you signal.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
What annoys me most about traffic? All the other people on the roads. Go away, I want the road to myself.

There's something missing from the list though, and it's the flipside to the "not using your turn signal" option: people who speed up to close the gap when you turn on your signal to switch lanes. I confess to not using my signal in certain instances because in certain traffic conditions you'll never get a chance to change lanes if you signal.
When I turn my signal on, 99% of the time, it's not a request. It's to tell you what I AM going to do. Those people who like to close the gap when they see a blinker...well, I'm usually quicker to fill the gap then they are to close it.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:17 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,892,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badgmc View Post
When I turn my signal on, 99% of the time, it's not a request. It's to tell you what I AM going to do. Those people who like to close the gap when they see a blinker...well, I'm usually quicker to fill the gap then they are to close it.
Oh, so you're one of those non-drivers who thinks their signal should automatically clear the lane? Hate it when people do that.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Oh, so you're one of those non-drivers who thinks their signal should automatically clear the lane? Hate it when people do that.
No. I don't expect it to clear a lane. I'm telling you I'm coming over.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:21 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,892,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badgmc View Post
No. I don't expect it to clear a lane. I'm telling you I'm coming over.
What's the difference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive