Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 02:48 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,474,595 times

Advertisements

I love Tire Rack. I've used them a few times and never have had any problems. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 02:54 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlecrazy View Post
I love Tire Rack. I've used them a few times and never have had any problems. Good luck!

Same here. have bought several times. I had Sam's Club quote me a price to order in 4 tires and said it would take three weeks. Tire Rack had them at my door in 36 hours after clicking the mouse a few times. No sales tax. And, with installation and balancing by my local garage they were still cheaper than Sam's not even counting the sales tax.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:06 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
One reason I like Tire Rack is the people there are true tire geeks, if you have 2 or 3 candidate tires in mind they can talk with you and help you decide which one is most likely to meet your needs best. This is in stark contrast with the chains, who are mostly dealing with people who have tire problems that they just want to have go away at minimum cash outlay right now. So Tire Rack is a lot more in tune with the wants of an enthusiast driver, in my experience. Maybe the other big mail order outfits are as good, not sure.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:39 PM

275 posts, read 743,366 times
I bought from Tire Rack as well. I asked "NTB" in Avon, MA to place the order for me and use NTB's address as "ship to" address. Everything was done good

On old tires subj, you know how to check when they were made, right? Look at the line, which starts with letters DOT and at the end you'll see 4 digits in oval, first two are the week of the year they were made, second two are the last two digits of the year itself, so for example 1010 means tires were made on 10th week of year 2010.

I would say if last two digits in DOT # are 04 or later(05, 06, 07...), you are ok. Tires, of course should not have visible damage, cracks etc.

By the way, one of the tire shops in our area has two prices on their tags, something, like "Our price $xx, tire rack price $yy". It tells you something.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:23 PM

204 posts, read 1,505,655 times
Two sets of 18" wheels (one aluminum, the other chrome) delivered mounted and balanced, a set of low profile summer tires and four sets of Bridgestone Blizzaks - In my opinion, you cannot beat Tire Rack. I live in Alaska and most of their product was shipped from the East Coast or Mid-West. Even so, I beat local vendor prices. Their customer service is very good also. Tire Rack: Four out of a possible four stars.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:21 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,576,168 times
Props to Tire Rack!

Old 01-21-2011, 10:55 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,534,516 times
I've always had good experiences with them.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:03 AM

1 posts, read 672 times
Tires purchased March of 2014. Lasted 10,694 miles. They were 80,000 mile Kuhmo tires. Tire went down to steel cords showing on one of the tires. Manufacturer date stamp on tires of 2007. From the time I got them they seemed bouncy. After a while they got bad. I did a tire rotation and checked the balance and they were fine, dead on balance. Drove again for a while and bounce got worse. I rotated them again before making a trip to Colorado and took readings of treadwear. Got to Colorado and noticed back tires were really bad. Crossed fingers to make it home. Tire on left rear was so bad I thought I had a bearing going. When I got back I noticed steel cords showing on the left rear. I contacted tirerack and explained the problem and they told me to return the tires. Returned to tirerack for what I though would be replacement of defective tires minus the 10,000 miles used to be prorated on the replacements. After 10 days of not hearing from them I called them. Was told by customer service they were uneven wear and would not replace. All 4 tires were uneven in different ways, they will be if defective. I also run my tire pressures at 45psi and the centers have always worn in the past first. Not these tires. Told me they sent email, but never got. Told them to resend and after 2 days I still have not got an email.
I made a trip on the tires and before I left I took readings because they seemed to be wearing. Here is the facts on them:

Measurement in thousands, readings taken with vernier calibers
Tires before North Carolina to Colorado
LF RF LR RR
In Out In Out In Out In Out
.135 .130 .130 .120 .103 .75 .65 .66
Tires after Colorado to North Carolina 3,546 Miles
LF RF LR RR
.106 .99 .102 .93 . 0 .0 .0 .0

As you can see they wore out really fast for highway only. Also, if you look at each individual tire as far as uneven wear, I do not see it drastically at all to justify being uneven and not replacing them. So now I am stuck with a van with no tires and was not in my budget for another 3 or 4 years.
Customer service did not offer any restitution to the problem and actually just finished the phone call to the terms of the person on the phone and hung up on me. So basically we got your money and tough luck.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:51 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,400,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbarC View Post
Tires purchased March of 2014. Lasted 10,694 miles. They were 80,000 mile Kuhmo tires. Tire went down to steel cords showing on one of the tires. Manufacturer date stamp on tires of 2007. From the time I got them they seemed bouncy. After a while they got bad. I did a tire rotation and checked the balance and they were fine, dead on balance. Drove again for a while and bounce got worse. I rotated them again before making a trip to Colorado and took readings of treadwear. Got to Colorado and noticed back tires were really bad. Crossed fingers to make it home. Tire on left rear was so bad I thought I had a bearing going. When I got back I noticed steel cords showing on the left rear. I contacted tirerack and explained the problem and they told me to return the tires. Returned to tirerack for what I though would be replacement of defective tires minus the 10,000 miles used to be prorated on the replacements. After 10 days of not hearing from them I called them. Was told by customer service they were uneven wear and would not replace. All 4 tires were uneven in different ways, they will be if defective. I also run my tire pressures at 45psi and the centers have always worn in the past first. Not these tires. Told me they sent email, but never got. Told them to resend and after 2 days I still have not got an email.
I made a trip on the tires and before I left I took readings because they seemed to be wearing. Here is the facts on them:

Measurement in thousands, readings taken with vernier calibers
Tires before North Carolina to Colorado
LF RF LR RR
.135 .130 .130 .120 .103 .75 .65 .66
Tires after Colorado to North Carolina 3,546 Miles
LF RF LR RR
.106 .99 .102 .93 . 0 .0 .0 .0

As you can see they wore out really fast for highway only. Also, if you look at each individual tire as far as uneven wear, I do not see it drastically at all to justify being uneven and not replacing them. So now I am stuck with a van with no tires and was not in my budget for another 3 or 4 years.
Customer service did not offer any restitution to the problem and actually just finished the phone call to the terms of the person on the phone and hung up on me. So basically we got your money and tough luck.
Well that sucks. I've always had good luck with Tire Rack but I've never had to make a warranty claim. Sorry to hear about it.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:58 AM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Dude, if your tires wore irregularly, you have suspension issues and/or alignment issues. No tire will last long if alignment is bad off.

Your own fault really, you should have noticed the tires you were replacing had abnormal wear, corrected the problem before putting on new tires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive