Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which type of transmission do you prefer?
Automatic 100 29.15%
Manual 175 51.02%
Both 68 19.83%
Voters: 343. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 11:31 AM

2,758 posts, read 5,289,376 times

Advertisements

I prefer a manual. It's more fun, gives you better control on slick roads and long hills, and allows me to drive a 4-cylinder vehicle without going crazy. The major downside to me is that if you injure yourself it may be much more difficult to drive a manual than an automatic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 05:10 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,346,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
I prefer a manual. It's more fun, gives you better control on slick roads and long hills, and allows me to drive a 4-cylinder vehicle without going crazy. The major downside to me is that if you injure yourself it may be much more difficult to drive a manual than an automatic.
Not as hard as you think, I was driving a stick just 3 weeks or so after shoulder surgery on my right shoulder, just reached over and shifted with the left hand instead, though I will admit, getting it into 5th wasn't always easy.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:27 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,289,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Not as hard as you think, I was driving a stick just 3 weeks or so after shoulder surgery on my right shoulder, just reached over and shifted with the left hand instead, though I will admit, getting it into 5th wasn't always easy.
I was thinking more of leg injuries. One of my friends broke his right leg a few weeks ago and drove himself to the hospital by sitting in the middle and driving with his left foot. Try that in a manual.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:22 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,101,083 times
i like how more people prefer manuals but most people i know use automatic.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:39 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
I was thinking more of leg injuries. One of my friends broke his right leg a few weeks ago and drove himself to the hospital by sitting in the middle and driving with his left foot. Try that in a manual.
I several years ago drove myself from Chicken all the way to Fairbanks with a badly-twisted left knee. I was driving a manual F-150 and towing a trailer. By the time I made it to Tok I could hardly push the clutch pedal with my left foot. Luckily I mostly had to use the clutch when I started driving, and then when I got to Fairbanks.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:40 PM

167 posts, read 359,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastontracks View Post
i like how more people prefer manuals but most people i know use automatic.
I love driving manuals but it is getting harder to find that as an option. Vehicles that are even available with a standard transmission are few and far between.

We bought a 2008 manual Honda Element. That was the last year they offered a manual Element in Canada. It's really hard to get a manual SUV, there just isn't much choice.

When I was looking to replace my car, I had a little more choice. There are many compact cars that offer a manual transmission as an option, but the problem is find a dealer that has a manual on the lot. The Honda dealer here had 2 manual Civics and 30 automatic Civics. The Hyundai dealer had no manual Elantras on the lot. They didn't stock them at all. I would have had to special order one and wait 6 weeks for it and not even get a chance to test drive it. I ended up getting a manual 2011 Mazda 3.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:45 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,017,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
If you're talking race car drivers ok. But 99.99% of the people driving are not going to shift faster than an auto. Even a completely stock one.

Manuals tend to trap higher but will also have a higher ET on identical vehicles.

It depends on the type ofautomatic transmission

EXAMPLE

A standard hyrdualic automatic transmissions which are pretty common are less efficient, and slower then their manual counterparts period....

There is a major parasectic loss before the hp is put to the wheels because fluid is being used to transfer the power to the wheels. 10-15% loss in efficiency.

Basically if not mistaken if you have 250 peak hp car lets say a maxima....and it comes with a standard automatic...your automatic pretty much robs 25 - 37 hp before it gets distributed to the rest of your drivetrain

It's such a misconception that automatics shift better then manuals. Most automatics still don't. I would know out of anyone because I use to work at a Nissan dealership and part of my job was to test drive cars before we sold them.

There is still a horrid delay. It has gotten better but the delay is still there especially if its drive by wire. Even on the new infiniti's there's that nasty .5 -1 sec delay when you hit the gas from a dig or from a roll.

Manuals still own automatics in that aspects because you can dump the clutch and get the immediate response most automatics suffer from. Grant it there are special kinds of automatics that will lay waste to manual transmissions when it comes to shifting and response. Such as the GTR's dual clutch setup.

Your also forgetting manuals can take better advantage of a vehicles powerband and unless an automatic has like 6 or 7 gears to take advantage of a vehicle's powerband manuals still dominate most automatics in this aspects.

Again it depends on the type of automatic transmission. If its a 3 or 4 speed automatic then of course a 6 or 5 speed manual will have a higher top end.

Long story short Special automatics >> Manuals >>> regular automatics.

Your making a very uneducated assumption classifying specialized semi automatics with convential automatics. There completely different animals.

The automatics that your thinking of are the ones in the high end mercedez, supercars, corvettes, bmws, some well made sports cars... .

There's a big difference between dual clutch, single clutch, semi,8 speed, etc.. etc. type automatics

then 3-4 speed torque convertor hyrdualically controlled slug box automatics...THAT COME IN MOST VEHICLES

Old 03-12-2012, 05:50 PM

41,961 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
All new automobiles with manual transmissions incorporate the hill-assit feature.
Well, that's no fun!

Old 03-12-2012, 08:44 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Well, that's no fun!
It's there to prevent rollbacks, which is very common with inexperienced drivers. But where it's a great feature is for heavy-duty trucks, or just for any vehicle if you are towing a trailer.

The hill-holder feature is also being included with a lot of the automatic transmission SUV's, and heavy-duty pickup trucks. On some vehicles one can activate the hill-holder system at a stop by pressing the brake pedal harder than usual. But this can sometimes confuse drivers who don't know about this feature, because the thing can be activated on flat ground, or even downhill. So, a person who does not know bout it stomps on the brake, the light changes to green, the driver steps on the gas pedal, and the vehicle does not move for two seconds

On some other vehicles the hill-holder feature is done automatically when stopped with the brake applied on an incline. By the time you move your foot from the brake pedal and step on the gas, the hill-holder is deactivated.
-------------

Something else I forgot to mention about manual transmissions: the ones with synchronized gears (probably all these days) can be upshifted, after the first gear, without having to use the clutch. This takes practice, however, but is something that has been known for years by a lot truck drivers.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:08 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Something else I forgot to mention about manual transmissions: the ones with synchronized gears (probably all these days) can be upshifted, after the first gear, without having to use the clutch. This takes practice, however, but is something that has been known for years by a lot truck drivers.
All manuals can be upshifted without the clutch, synchros or not. And downshifted too, if you know what you're doing. You're basically synchronizing the engine to the selected gear when you do that so it doesn't matter if you have synchros or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive