Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 04:59 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,033,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
i have festiva's, they have lots of windows, one of mine has a tint on the rear side and hatch back window, one does not. and there is a difference in the summer. ive riden in a car with tint on the front side windows and while they are helpful on a sunny day they do obstruct the view at night. so i really see why they are illegal.
I had med tint & i could see out the windows at night. Dark tint is a different story. All the cops gotta do is ask you to roll down windows. Yesterday i drove awhile & i felt the heat/sun on my legs & arms. When i had tint i didnt feel that. I just gotta be careful due to the rookie cop. I guess he gotta strut his stuff & show whos boss by ticketing people for tinted windows. Its kinda sad considering its such a minor offense & we live in a hot/dry/sunny climate. Once again the ca legislature is to blame for this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 05:11 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,104,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
I had med tint & i could see out the windows at night. Dark tint is a different story. All the cops gotta do is ask you to roll down windows. Yesterday i drove awhile & i felt the heat/sun on my legs & arms. When i had tint i didnt feel that. I just gotta be careful due to the rookie cop. I guess he gotta strut his stuff & show whos boss by ticketing people for tinted windows. Its kinda sad considering its such a minor offense & we live in a hot/dry/sunny climate. Once again the ca legislature is to blame for this.
As much as I love to blame the California legislature for everything, tint laws are fairly common in other states and make sense in terms of officer safety. This is coming from a guy with very dark window tint all around.

Last edited by iTsLiKeAnEgG; 08-26-2009 at 05:31 PM..

Old 08-27-2009, 03:48 PM

91 posts, read 191,552 times
Window tint laws are pretty common. It makes sense for a few different reasons. Officer safety being the first and foremost.

Also nice to see who is talking on their cell phone and stay away.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:50 PM

I drove the freeway this morning from yucaipa to san bernardino & highland & i saw loads of cars with tinted front side windows. A few were blacked out. It was 105 degrees today & the inside of my car was a oven. The tint did keep it a bit cooler & shadier. If in the future i decide to re-tint my front side windows i found a shop in SB that charges $40.00 for both plus warranty. The price ranges are $40.00 to $69.00. So im out $45.00 for the tint (incl gas) & $25.00 for the fix it ticket. Total loss:$70.00. Oh well....

Old 08-27-2009, 08:11 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,627,694 times
Medium window tints are fine for side windows but it you have a hatch back with a slanted rear window it is dangerous at night when you back up and can't see. It is a too dark because of the angle.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:18 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,793,468 times
I've noticed a difference in car with and without tint.
I don't have the darkest tint around but I am grateful for it.
I also have a visor and I notice a difference on the days I don't put my visor up.

What I don't get is people who put up cardboard visors that don't even cover their whole windshield AND they don't have tint? Seems pretty pointless. No tint AND you have a CARDBOARD visor?

Old 08-28-2009, 02:06 PM

91 posts, read 191,552 times
How much does tint usually run for an F150? Any suggestions as to what a good price would be?

Old 09-01-2009, 12:34 PM

The tint law needs to be changed. I may tint my 85 olds but with my luck the deputy who ticketed me a few weeks ago will ticket me again. In his mind hes a young john wayne....UGH!!!!!

Old 09-07-2009, 07:18 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,128,608 times
In Florida our cars must have a tint or it would be really hot. The tint reflects the UV rays and I use to see very dark illegal tinted windows in Philly more than I now do in Florida.

We garage our 09 Toyota Highlander SUV and do not park it in our driveway. If we did park it in our driveway we would have to open the doors and wait till the seats cool down from being red hot...

Almost all after market tinting companies charge around $95 to tint auto windows. No mirror tints here in Florida but some dark tinted windows on kids cars appear to be on the edge of being illegal... I can understand a dark tint to be illegal because a Police Officer should see the driver, passenger or occupants when the Officer pulls over a vehicle and begins to approach the driver.

In Florida a person does not need a permit/license to have a weapon in their car but it needs to be unloaded and away from the driver's reach such as in the trunk. The police must assume the worse situation can be realized if the Police cannot see inside a stopped vehicle due to dark tint.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:34 PM

1,113 posts, read 3,495,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0akback View Post
I recently had "limo" tint put on our minivan (Mazda 5), and on the front windows, you can barely see in the car from the outside on sunny days (on cloudy days, it's impossible to see in). Technically I could get a ticket for it, but I haven't had any problems yet (the guy doing the tint even informed me, "you're not supposed to have it, but I'll do it if you want"). The difference in temperature is drastic and noticeable.

Eventually the car can get as hot as it would without the tint, but it takes much, much longer.

I think it's your vehicle, it belongs to YOU, not the state, and you should be able to put anything on it you damn well please. (except maybe police/emergency vehicle-type lights.)

I live in SC, where tint is legal (so is riding a motorcycle helmet-less, and riding in the bed of a pickup) but my homestate NJ bans tint on the front windows. People do it anyway, and if they get a ticket they just pay it and move on. I don't know anyone who's peeled it off because they got a ticket.
Guess it's the NJ attitude of "Bite me" showing through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive