Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 07:31 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,873,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Hola amigos

I was coming back today and a bolt came lose and my muffler began dragging on the pavement. I stopped and tied it with a bungee chord which melted and broke 5 minutes later. I drove on home since I didn't want to wait 3 hours for AAA.

Question: my 'mom' thinks it must be looked at a muffler shop, she says it could spark and ignite the gas tank. I tied it back on with a hanger and it looks and sounds fine - I'd hate to spend $300 on it when it's already fixed (that would buy a lot of tacos).

Do you all think it really needs to be professionally looked at?
It ain't already fixed, it's rigged.

Is this really censusdata? Doesn't sound like your typical post. Did someone hijack your computer?

Old 12-15-2009, 07:39 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Are you seriously suggesting that he'd gas himself and other to death with his own car without noticing the distinct smell and smoke of exhaust as it enters the passenger compartment?

Or am I reading your post all wrong?
My ex-wifes younger brother was killed by a leaking muffler at the age of 16... by carbon monoxide poisoning. So yes it is VERY dangerous. There was a hole in his muffler and the gases got into the car.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:58 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,344,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
My ex-wifes younger brother was killed by a leaking muffler at the age of 16... by carbon monoxide poisoning. So yes it is VERY dangerous. There was a hole in his muffler and the gases got into the car.
Well that must've been the absolute worst case scenario possible.

For the original poster this shouldn't be an issue though, as the muffler sounds fine, if needed he could always check for leaks, just to be sure, but he should be able to hear it.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:50 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,780,703 times
Ok why am i the only one seeing something wrong with this post....

1. Who uses anything not made of metal to secure a fallen muffler? Specifically a bungee cord?

2. "Tying back on with a hanger" is not the correct way of fixing it.,..sure it might work but it's now jimmy-rigged and possibly leaking now due to you dragging it. You need to have it inspected. How much it will cost is going to depend on the extent of the damage. Will it cost $300? It might...I've paid that much for a whole new exhaust from the catalytic converter on back when the pipe rusted/broke off the cat.

3. What does "buying a lot of tacos" have to do with it?

p.s. are you the same guy that was 'told' you could port your own heads by letting the engine ingest sand, and now are wondering why the engine is knocking and bucking like crazy?

Old 12-15-2009, 09:58 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,873,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
You're not. See post #11

Old 12-15-2009, 11:23 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post

1. Who uses anything not made of metal to secure a fallen muffler? Specifically a bungee cord?

That's the only thing I had that could secure it at all - no metal wire in my trunk. I figured it would melt and break, but figured every mile it kept it from dragging would be worth it

2. "Tying back on with a hanger" is not the correct way of fixing it.,..sure it might work but it's now jimmy-rigged and possibly leaking now due to you dragging it. You need to have it inspected. How much it will cost is going to depend on the extent of the damage. Will it cost $300? It might...I've paid that much for a whole new exhaust from the catalytic converter on back when the pipe rusted/broke off the cat.

I rigged it ASAP so I could at least take it to a muffler shop without it dragging more OR waiting for a tow truck

3. What does "buying a lot of tacos" have to do with it?

I don't like to waste money on needless repairs when I could buy food instead

p.s. are you the same guy that was 'told' you could port your own heads by letting the engine ingest sand, and now are wondering why the engine is knocking and bucking like crazy?

No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night

Old 12-15-2009, 02:44 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
What year was this? An exhaust leak post-cat will take a very long time to kill somebody.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:05 PM

534 posts, read 2,408,376 times
A coat hanger is a rig. Save up till you have the money to fix it right, but a 'better' fix may be available at an auto parts store for just a few dollars depending on whats wrong. (ask for muffler hanger). If your exhaust is substantially louder than it used to be (exhaust leak) you need to go to a muffler shop or mechanic and get it fixed. If you tied it up with a few hangers and its 'on there' and you physically cant pull it off, while not pretty, its doing the job that a muffler shop will do. And i expect flack for saying that, but i've seen countless cars with rigs like this on the road for years and years now. While you should have the $ to keep your car in proper condition, some people just dont.

p.s. to check for exhaust leaks, put your hand over the exhaust tip for a few seconds and see if the exhaust comes out anywhere, or the car keeps running and is just really quiet.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:34 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
A bungee cord? Seriously?

Old 12-15-2009, 09:07 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,344,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
From the tenor of all your post one can safely assume that you too are a young uneducated person. That said, back off kid you're in over your head here.
Well I don't know exactly how dumb you are, but checking for an exhaust leak isn't exactly hard is it? Takes round about half a minute, securing the exhaust system again isn't exactly too tricky either, so all in all I'd say he's in for a good chance, as long as he checks it and attaches it properly.

Now, back off old man, seems you're lack too much knowledge about this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive