Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What type vehicle do you own?/Can you help me decide on a vehicle?
Large SUV 18 20.22%
Small SUV 18 20.22%
4 door sedan 37 41.57%
Cross over 6 6.74%
Extend cab truck 11 12.36%
Luxury car 16 17.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 03:43 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,745,489 times

Advertisements

What's this blanket statement about not buying General Motors????? I own fairly late models of a chevy pickup, a pontiac bonneville and a cadillac and never have had a problem with any of these. Plus we have several General Motors classic cars with mucho age on them. We have always owned all of these types of vehicles and have NEVER had a problem with any General Motors....on the other hand we had lots and lots of problems with our Ford Expedition and our big Ford pickup plus our Ford Ranger.

I get the best milage out of my cadillac and it has the northstar engine.

Last edited by doll lady; 06-13-2007 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 04:28 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Like I said, every single mass produced product including vehicles are going to have some that come out w/ problems. There is no way to produce that many products and NOT have some w/ a few problems. To make a blanket statement that ALL GM products are "junk" is grossly judgemental w/o having any factual basis to back it up with.

BTW, Steve-o, what kind of vehicle do YOU drive? Maybe all of us GM owners should ditch our GM cars and go buy whatever it is you feel is far more superior. Just wondering????

doll lady, what kind of classics do you have? We have two older Chevy's both Camaro's. Both are all numbers matching and have never had a transmission fall out of them. LOL!!! I found another old GM model the other day for sale that I want. Hubby actually told me to check on it. Sadly though it is not a mid-60's Vette . I would LOVE to have one of those babies.

Old 06-13-2007, 04:51 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,142,943 times
Cool Tacoma

I would look real close at the new Toyota Tacomas. Everyone that I have talked to that have owned or still own one are stead fast in their faith in them. Outside the Honda truck, Toyota has been getting the highest rateings there is. As for myself, I have one on order now. Its a 2007 PreRunner V6, 5 speed automatic, with a tow package of 6500 lbs, access cab, (that means it has two more smaller doors) in Indigo Ink Blue . Go onto CustomTacos.com Forum and talk to some of the proud owners of these great mid-size trucks. Oh, and by the way, they're as much American made as any of the big three. the only difference is, Toyota is better MADE !!
I own a F-150 now, but after all the problems I have had with it from the day it came off the show room floor, and the two others before it , FORD has lost my business for ever.
And I almost forgot, all the owers are talking about their MPG is better than Toyota was advertieing. 22 MPG and up. Thats a big plus in my book.
The new Chevy truck are no longer V6's, they are V5's, the cheap @#%& cut off a cylinder, and are trying to tell people that they are better trucks for it , YA RIGHT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So. GO TOYOTA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-13-2007, 08:24 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,253,371 times
I used to have a Toyota Pre-runner and I loved that dang truck. I definitely agree, if you are looking for a truck, the Tacoma is great!

Old 06-13-2007, 09:17 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,745,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Like I said, every single mass produced product including vehicles are going to have some that come out w/ problems. There is no way to produce that many products and NOT have some w/ a few problems. To make a blanket statement that ALL GM products are "junk" is grossly judgemental w/o having any factual basis to back it up with.

BTW, Steve-o, what kind of vehicle do YOU drive? Maybe all of us GM owners should ditch our GM cars and go buy whatever it is you feel is far more superior. Just wondering????

doll lady, what kind of classics do you have? We have two older Chevy's both Camaro's. Both are all numbers matching and have never had a transmission fall out of them. LOL!!! I found another old GM model the other day for sale that I want. Hubby actually told me to check on it. Sadly though it is not a mid-60's Vette . I would LOVE to have one of those babies.

Yep I agree on th e General Motors cars....my motorhead husband would not have them if they were junk....

momo....one of our is your dream car......1968 corvette convertible with both tops.... 4 speed....YAY. We have the number matching block but it's no good...hubby replaced with rebuilt motor...only has 100 miles on new engine. The other is a 1970 442 W-30 Sedan 4 speed....all numbers match...very rare due to sedan 4 speed...I forget how many made but very few. We used to have a 69 camaro, a 70 SS Chevy, 4 67 GTO's and 4 other 442's of various years. Husband restores. them. But the 70 442 and our 68 vette are long time possessions and will probably will be us till we die. See GM products do last!!!!! LOL

Old 06-13-2007, 09:36 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
I haven't owned a car in a few years, but I loved my Suburu Sedan and would buy another Suburu in a second (currently it doesn't make sense for me to own a car period). The Suburu that I owned had almost 200k miles on it (much of them accrued before I bought it) and was going strong when it was totaled by a drunk driver (thankfully I wasn't in it). I still sometimes peruse the used car ads looking for Suburu cars, I loved that thing.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:15 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsalmon View Post
I would never buy an SUV. They are expensive to buy, even more expensive to own (gas guzzlers) and very bad for the environment (think of your kids' futures). I know lots of people who think they need all that space and like the feeling of ruling the road, but they are actually less safe than many sedans (rollover problems). As for space, it's true that if you have a lot of space, you will fill it up and wonder how you ever did without it. But if you don't have that space, things will fit just fine. I carry a lot of junk in my Corrolla's trunk for my own kids.
These are the same arguments I use for my parents now that they are urging me to consider an SUV while going car-shopping. I know Speedy swears by his Yukon, and MiamiMan swears by his Hummer, but I'd be happier in something smaller and more fuel-efficient, along with being easier to navigate through our area's hectic suburban parking lots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsalmon View Post
I love my Corrolla and I've had it for 5 years. I plan on driving it until the wheels fall off, which should not be for a while. Gas efficiency, low price, safety, and reliability were top factors for me when I bought this car, and it's great. Cars lose a lot of their value the minute you drive them off the lot, so I would not recommend buying an expensive car (especially if you are financing it).
Thank you for re-affirming my top choice in a new car purchase. I've been hedging back-and-forth between a Toyota Corolla and a Ford Fusion for my next vehicle, and I hear that the Corolla is much more fuel-efficient and less expensive, making it a better buy in the long-run than the Fusion (even though I like the aesthetics of the Fusion better).

I currently drive a 1999 Ford Contour with 85,000 miles on it, and I have yet to have any trouble with it. I'll probably drive this car until its death, at which point I'll trade on up to a Corolla.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I would have loved a Prlus, too -- but a 2002 Prius with 53,000 miles cost the same as my 2006 Mazda with 7,000 miles. Couldn't justify it.
I know. What gives? Why are the Priuses so damn expensive? They can't use "demand" as a reason to jack the price up either, as I very seldom see a Prius in Scranton as opposed to the Suburbans, Range Rovers, BMWs, etc. that dominate our local roadways. Why pay an extra $7,000 on a vehicle that will only save you $5,000 in gas in the long-run? I just don't understand it.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:22 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,253,371 times
The Prius was in demand for a while. I don't know the situation now but there was a point in time where they couldn't even keep 'em in stock! I think the whole buzz about the Prius has since settled. How much do Prius' typically cost anyway?

Old 06-13-2007, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
The Prius was in demand for a while. I don't know the situation now but there was a point in time where they couldn't even keep 'em in stock! I think the whole buzz about the Prius has since settled. How much do Prius' typically cost anyway?
An arm and a leg! LOL! (At least by the standards of a 20-year-old)

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 06-13-2007 at 10:32 PM.. Reason: Typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive