Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 12:19 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times

Advertisements

You do realize the Cable TV is monitoring your viewing to sell the information to advertizers. Do you object to this intrusion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 12:20 PM

23,866 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
A drone flying over my house watching me read the newspaper on my front porch is breach of my privacy.
No, it's not, just as someone driving down the street watching you read the newspaper on your front porch isn't.

Your yard can be seen from the air. If you want the expectation of privacy, don't do whatever you're concerned about outdoors, in plain view. It doesn't matter if you have 30' walls surrounding your yard. If it has no roof, it can be seen from the air, and the supreme court has ruled that you don't have the expectation of privacy that you would have inside your home. You don't have to like it, but the law is crystal clear on this.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:24 PM

23,866 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
This is not about bureacracy. If you can't discern the difference between a UAV and a helicopter, i'm not sure what more can be said to you. Two of the most glaring differences is sound and size. I'll leave it up to you to figure out why these two things matter, among the other considerable surveillance advantages of UAV's over helicopters. If you can't come up with a logical understanding then again, I see no reason to engage your apathy any further.
So now it's not about how many they can stuff into any given airspace, but it's about sound and size.

So you're saying that people should be able to break the law without repercussion, as long as they can hear the helicopters coming?

Sorry, Aero, but you're just wrong on this. Completely, totally wrong. If you'd come at it from a different angle, we might have been in agreement, but your "helicopters are ok, but drones are bad" position just makes you look paranoid.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:26 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
No, it didn't. You didn't provide a single shred of evidence that drones are treated any differently than any other aircraft with respect to the amount of air space required to use one.

In fact, the first document you linked to states, "The Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA), for example, urged us to develop rules for small UAS that require the same operational safety as manned aircraft."

You have yet to prove that the skies will be filled with drones watching our every move. I like you, Aero, but on this, you're just paranoid. If the government really wanted to spy in the way you're implying, they'd go all London on our butts and put cameras on every street corner.
My goodness. Perhaps because "operational safety" does not necessarily mean "the same airspace requirements?" That's the whole point of the FAA rulemaking....to sort out integration of UAV's into the national airspace system. But I can tell you right now that UAV's will not have the same separation requirements as an airliner or a Cessna.

I like you too Swagger, but you're conflating too many issues into one. Airspace requirements and privacy issues are not interelated in the slightest. So why do you insist on calling me paranoid while trying to interject something as technical as airspace requirements into your argument? The issue as I see it is privacy....helicopters do not hover over my house collecting data. UAV's on the other hand are more than capable to do that without detection. Do you see the difference?

Old 06-05-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
So now it's not about how many they can stuff into any given airspace, but it's about sound and size.

So you're saying that people should be able to break the law without repercussion, as long as they can hear the helicopters coming?

Sorry, Aero, but you're just wrong on this. Completely, totally wrong. If you'd come at it from a different angle, we might have been in agreement, but your "helicopters are ok, but drones are bad" position just makes you look paranoid.
No, you're conflating too many issues into one topic. There are airspace concerns and there are privacy concerns. Further, you're equating helicopters to drones....which is a fallacy....because helicopters must operate under existing airspace rules.....whereas drones do not have the same (hardly any) rules regarding airspace separation criteria. We're debating two different issues....i'm talking about privacy.....you're not. You're trying to make it a technical issue and using helicopters as your baseline. That's a fallacy as well.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:31 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
U.S. official: Al Qaeda leader killed in drone strike in Pakistan - CNN.com

The imbedded link in the above link....

Official: 15 militants killed in suspected U.S. drone strike in Pakistan - CNN.com

specifically mentions hellfire and the firing of something like 9 missles.

Those drones are pretty big and don't carry a pilot so at 100lbs a pop the missles aren't too heavy.
These are the drones capable of packing a Hellfire payload at the present moment;
I dont believe that the drones we are speaking of for domestic use are any one of these.
I was actually being sarcastic.
BTW, there hasnt been any uptick on Hellfire orders, they are made right here;
Lockheed Martin · Ocala, FL
The plant is about 5 miles away from where I live, I know quite a few people that work the Hellfire and Javelin lines.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:32 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,108,168 times
Go to google maps, punch in your address, click the street view, voila. There's your house. The gubmit has nothing to do with it.

Use your credit card, and the bank sells the info regarding your buying patterns, voila--the gubmit deosn't have a thing to do with it.

Go to the internet, cookies track your browsing history.

You guys thbnk what you do is private? We gave that up a long time ago.

Last edited by carterstamp; 06-05-2012 at 01:27 PM..

Old 06-05-2012, 12:44 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,223,303 times
Damn, I guess nude sunbathing is out!

It's amazing how riled up the conspiracy theorists can get over unmanned aircraft flying in the unrestricted airspace above open farm land.

Makes me wonder how many of the twitterpated folks on here are farmers. I am and so long as all the aircraft that flies over us maintains it's minimum altitude and doesn't spook the livestock, it's all good.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Go to google maps, punch in your address, click the street view, voila. There's your house. The gubmit has nothing to do with it.

Use your credit card, and the bank sells the info regarding your buying patterns, voila--the gubmit fdeosn't have a thing to do with it.

Go to the internet, cookies track your browsing history.

You guys thbnk what you do is private? We gave that up a long time ago.
I agree with you in principle, but I have to point out that many of the satellite photos used by Google Earth were commissioned using USG satellites, and today's commercial satellites are only operable after being given permission from the USG to beam hi-def pictures of the Earth back to the Earth for public consumption. Government still retains the right to exert control over geospatial data. That's why certain sensitive sites are not given the same clarity definition as your local swimming pool or Wal-mart.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Damn, I guess nude sunbathing is out!

It's amazing how riled up the conspiracy theorists can get over unmanned aircraft flying in the unrestricted airspace above open farm land.

Makes me wonder how many of the twitterpated folks on here are farmers. I am and so long as all the aircraft that flies over us maintains it's minimum altitude and doesn't spook the livestock, it's all good.
You don't get it do you? Farmland is not the issue....in fact....UAV test sites are scattered all across the United States, many of which are within spitting distance of major metro areas. Why? Because the FAA is preparing to integrate UAV's into the National Airspace System. Farmland is the least of our concerns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation